Moissanite rings

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 47

Leli Posts : 89 Registered: 1/12/09
Moissanite rings
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 2:57 PM

I was doing some research last night when I came across moissanite. A lot of people call it a diamond simulant, which I suppose it could be. In my mind though, it looks like a different gemstone, one that is more affordable and more sparkly! So I was wondering if any of you ladies have any moissanite jewelry, or know anybody who does. I've read about the greenish tint thing, but that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Re: Moissanite rings
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 12:45 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

I think Moissanite rings are a great idea.
They don't have any "blood" on them for who cares about that
And they are so much more affordable
I don't have any moissanite jewellery but I have a friend who does and she wears it with pride, she loves it.

PV2PHILLIPS2B Posts : 25 Registered: 1/13/09
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 1:53 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

I don't personally own any, but I have a freind who has worked in a jewelry store for quite a while and she says they are a great value. Apparently, they test just like a diamond!

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 2:47 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

I want a moissanite engagement ring, but I had never seen it in person so for Christmas this year my boyfriend bought me a moissanite ring so I could see if I liked it, and I really love it! I was pretty much sold on it over a traditional diamond before, but now that I've seen it and know that it looks great I will definitely be having it as my engagement ring. I had read about the greenish tint too, and I guess if you look hard enough at it in dull light it has a very slight tint to it. That could just be the lighting though because it's super sparkly and clear in bright light. Seriously, I couldn't stop looking at it and shining it in the light when I got it, haha. It looks just like diamond, and I have read that it's more brilliant and sparkly than diamond. People are so surprised when they find out it isn't really a diamond. And as far as I know, the company who makes moissanite (Charles and Colvard) has exclusive rights to it and then they license different places to sell it, so from what I can tell, if you buy moissanite jewelry the stone is certified by the company who makes it. The price is definitely great and affordable also, which is a big plus in my book because I think the markup on diamonds is just ridiculous. My ring, which is a half-carat pear cut moissanite, cost my boyfriend $250 and would have cost well over $1000 for a diamond equivalent. But, as a side note, if you are looking at moissanite rings, pay attention to the size. A carat measures weight, so a diamond carat and moissanite carat are not the same. I have seen a lot of moissanite sold in millimeters, which tells you the actual dimensions of the stone. So, say you know that like the size of a 1-carat diamond, you can't just automatically assume you need a 1-carat moissanite because the sizes will be different. You need to look at the size of the diamond and then pick a comparable size in the moissanite.

I know I sound like a freakin' ad here, but seriously I just love this stone. I didn't really want a real diamond, for a few different reasons, but I did like the look of diamond. I was so excited when I found out about moissanite and now that I actually own one I just love it! Some links worth checking out:
www.moissanite.com
http://www.moissanite-collection.com/ (where I got my ring)
http://www.moissanitediamond.com/ (where my e-ring will hopefully be from)

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

On a side note... I just went to www.moissaniteco.com and they actually have COLORED moissanite as well.

Cassiopeia Posts : 85 Registered: 1/1/09
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 4:23 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

I own moissanite jewelry, and have been looking in to moissanite engagement rings. Early moissanite did have a green tint, but now it is comparable to near colorless diamonds. I really like it. My guy first got me moissanite because of my obession with superman and smallville. He said because it was first found in meteor crators it would be like having my very own kryptonite. It means more to me than diamonds.

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 7:08 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

I actually got in contact with two companies that sell Moissanite and they answered a lot of my questions! I also found that one of them, MoissaniteCo, is working on enhanced diamonds for the fancy shapes (because they tend to show more color) so they look even whiter! They told me they hope to get those available in about 6 months. I'm totally sold on Moissanite. Why pay more for something that's not as sparkly? Because DeBeers said so? Silly! But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for all your input, ladies! I'll make sure to post a picture of my ring, whenever that'll be :-P

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: PV2PHILLIPS2B

PHILLIPS2B, I actually thought of you when I saw that they had colored Moissanite! I was going to come back here and link it for you, but I totally forgot. I saw some that people had ordered on another message board, and they look beautiful.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

I totally tell everyone about this company when I see they are talking about rings. it's www.diamondnexus.com . It's not moisonnite exactly, but it's a manufactured diamond that gem experts literally can not tell apart from real diamonds. They basically ARE diamonds, they are just made in a laboratory instead of mined. And they are a TON less than traditional diamonds! THey might be a little more than moisonnite (I haven't compared them, myself) but they are really very pretty. :) Check those out too in your quest for comparisons!

IMG_7875.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 9:21 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

I actually have heard of Diamond Nexus Labs, and I really hope you didn't get a stone from them. The only companies right now that are capable of producing lab cultured diamonds are Apollo, Gemesis, and Takara. Even then, these three are still working out kinks in the white diamonds, so they're not even selling loose cultured diamonds, other than the fancy colors. Someone sent a Diamond Lexus stone in to be tested to see exactly what it was, considering the website is very ambiguous about it, and it turned out to be nothing but a generic CZ. It didn't even have the carbon coating on it that a lot of the diamond alternatives have, such as Asha Diamonds. They're just plain CZ marked up as something else.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

i was always drawn to moissanite because of their sparkle, clarity and affordability...but mostly because they don't have blood on them like diamonds

but i have just found out that canada (where i live) only certifies "conflict free" diamonds which i think is very, very cool

i still like moissanite though

Cassiopeia Posts : 85 Registered: 1/1/09
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 1:14 AM Go to message in response to: Leli

What does everyone think of this setting, with the oval center stone?

http://www.moissaniteco.com/moissanite-engagement-ring-14k-gold-pall-p-6215.html

They have one pre-set with an oval so you can see what it would look like, however you don't get to choose the size of your center stone, your metal, and there isn't any option to order the matching band so the customisable one is better in my opinion:

http://www.moissaniteco.com/7x5mm-oval-moissanite-diamond-engagent-ring-p-7663.html

Edited by: Cassiopeia on Jan 16, 2009 1:15 AM

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 2:58 AM Go to message in response to: Cassiopeia

I talked to a rep from MoissaniteCo today, and I learned something interesting. If I were you, I'd wait 6 months or so before you decide on a purchase. Apparently they're working on heat treated and coated Moissanite so it looks whiter and brighter and has more of that steel look that a diamond does. I saw some before and after shots, and it looks wonderful. However, they're still working on pricing with the lab that did it, so they don't have them for sale yet and they won't know when until the lab gets back to them. So, if you're not in a hurry, wait a few months and see what turns up and you might be able to get an even more beautiful stone. I'm definitely waiting, especially since I want a heart shape which are more prone to show color.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 10:52 AM Go to message in response to: Leli

Leli, do you know what message board you were at that had some colored moissanite ring pics? I'm really interested to see what they look like since the website doesn't give you the option to see the setting all together with the colored stones.

mrssummer09 Posts : 17 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: Leli

Hi! i just wanted to say that this is my first post, and my fiance proposed 2 days ago! He bought me a moissanite ring from Moissanite Co. The ring is gorgeous! i absolutely love it! it has a very pretty sparkle, and it does have somewhat of a tint in different lighting, but then again doesn't that apply to everything that has some shine to it? i only notice it b/c i'm staring at it all the time. lol. but seriously, i think the price of diaomonds are ridiculous! i have a friend who's fiance proposed to her with a $5K-$6K ring, and that's fine if you can do that. BUT, you can CLEARLY see black spots in her 1 ct. diamond, and she has to keep getting the 14kt white gold re-coated, b/c it turns yellow. i'm not bashing anyone here, but i asked for a moissanite ring in palladium setting over a diamond/ white gold ring, just b/c i don't see the purpose in going broke over a ring that can change colors and have visible impurities. moissanite has impurites but up to about a 50X magnification, making it comparable to a VS-VVS stone. That would be a vvvvvery expensive diamond! i'm personally satisfied, b/c i have a good stone, with great fire and clarity, and the band won't turn b/c it's set in palladium and it was sooooo much more affordable! Maybe I'm biased, but I love my ring! ;)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine