May 2009 Brides (or any 2009!!)

Online Users: 1,277 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,379

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Re: May 2009 Brides (or any 2009!!)
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: mobride09

Mobride! I really like that! So pretty! And since they're drinking glasses we could possibly find them cheap- I'll have to look into that! But thanks for the idea!!

And I'm with you on the fanatic thing- I LOVE the Buckeyes!! (even though we can't win a bowl game to save our lives!)

Thanks again!

"Come What May... "

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 11:06 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Thanks for the compliments Brooke, I absolute love my dress, I would wear it everyday if I could, lol!

It's really sad about Cyndi, I hope things work out for her.

I can't decide on a garter. I don't know if it should be something that FH likes or something that I like?

preview photopreview image

preview image

Lilmisssouthern... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/12/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 11:30 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Brooke! where on earth did you find those?? i am looking for Buckeyes garters and have found NONE! We are HUGE Buckeyes fans as you may remember from the football thread a while ago.... I am dying to know!

Can't wait to be  a Mrs.

http://www.mywedding.com/shannonandbrandon<magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 11:51 AM Go to message in response to: Lilmisssouthern...

DrmComeTru!!! GO BUCKS!!! :) I found these at http://www.sewuniquegarters.com/category_19/CollegeUniversity-N-Z.htm

I found another one with the Block O's at http://varsityvests.com/ohiostategarter-ohiostateuniversityredgarterwithologo.aspx

Hope this helps!!

"Come What May... "

Lilmisssouthern... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/12/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Thanks! I like the second site too maybe I can get FH some cuff links for his suit for the wedding. It would be a cute surprise for him.

Can't wait to be  a Mrs.

http://www.mywedding.com/shannonandbrandon<magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

MichelleandRob Posts : 194 Registered: 5/12/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: mobride09

Love Love Love It!! Thanks for sharing!!

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: MichelleandRob

That really does suck for Cyndi...just outta the blue? I hope she's dealing ok because I'm sure it's tough...

I'm glad everyone's planning is going well at this point. I don't know of any complaints many people have had lately...unless I missed them :) Those garters are so awesome!! I visited the first site and I think I might order one there too. I've been thinking about getting a Mets garter because FH would looove it. Unfortunately I'll have to go home and measure my thigh before I can order. That should be tons of fun :P

So...what am I working on?? Well today I'm hoping to call some officiants and set up meeting times. I already set up a time to visit with the ceremony/reception location manager for next week. I've been trying to set up E-pics but the photographer hasn't responded yet. Oh, and I'm taking FH to a store today to check out those send-n-seal invites to see what he thinks. Also, I'm thinking I really might just ask my other 3 girl friends to be bridesmaids. I can't take it! I want them to be but I just don't want all the added stress...they'd be awsome though! Decisions, decisions...

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 11:42 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

I found my sports garter on ebay, and it is adorable, actually they are adorable since we have a keep garter and throw garter. But they are awsome so I would suggest checking out ebay.

I have a question, how badly the flowers set you all back? I am going next month to figure them out and I am so afraid over their price because I have heard flowers are way over priced. I have decided to just sprinkle rose petals on our tables and put down some candles. But who knows, places could charge and arm and a leg for petals too. Besides petals I need a bridal bouqet, 8 small bouquets for the bridesmaids and jr bridesmaid, 8 boutioneers, plus corsages or something for the moms/grandmothers, and boutioneers for the dads and possibly the grandfathers. I am afraid since we have so many people flowers are going to be INSANE. I am wanting roses though, which arent as expensive as some other flowers, but not cheap either.

And another unrelated question, is if anyone has found a great place that helps you choose readings for the wedding ceremony. I think I want to include FHs sister and have her do a reading. However, I do not want a typical biblical reading or a cheesey poem. Any suggestions on readings or where to find the? I have yahoo searched for them but have not come up with much.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

I'll definitely have to check out ebay for the garter...thanks!

As for flowers, our quote is something like $600-650. This would include a mix of short and tall centerpieces (for about 10 tables), my bouquet, a toss bouquet, 3 bridesmaid bouquets, 3 mom/gma corsages, 2 dad/gpa corsages, flowers for cake (if we want them), tall pieces to be around us during the ceremony since it's outdoors....and at the moment I can't remember what else.

But we didn't get any flowers for the groom or groomsmen because they are going to have pocket squares instead. If your FH isn't big on flowers maybe that can be an alternative for you to save some money? I know my FH really doesn't want to "wear" flowers and he said his guys don't need to either. You can also try to do some fake flowers. I don't know much about them but heard that many brands and stores carry great ones that aren't noticeably fake. I personally looooooove flowers and fresh flowers at that. Therefore I'm willing to pay that price for them. And in my area, that's a pretty good deal!

Have you contacted any florists for ideas about cost?

Charlotte09 Posts : 1,021 Registered: 2/22/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 2:36 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Your flower costs actually made me feel better. You dont have quite as many people as I do to get flowers for, but I have heard people spending many thousands on just flowers. I have also heard that fake flowers are cheaper, but I am having an outdoor wedding too so I want everything to be real.

Not getting flowers for the guys is a good idea. I dont think they will really care if they dont have flowers. Plus I am sure guys usually trash their flowers right after the wedding.

I also thought that I would give all the moms/grandmothers a single rose instead of a corsage. I personally hate wearing corsages, I think they clash with my outfit or get in the way. But I better ask the moms since they are the ones who will either have to wear a corsage or carry a flower.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: Charlotte09

The single flower idea for moms is a great. I might actually talk it over with my mom and see what she says. Even though FH realllly liked the corsages that the florist showed us, lol.

People really can spend a lot on flowers. It depends on what you get, the type, and time of year, but I'm sure you already know that. The flowers that we'll be using are tulips, lilies, and roses. So I actually think, with pretty good flowers, that our quote is awesome! I was expecting much more. In my area (Omaha, NE) the florist I went to is recommended because of his prices and quality. For the same amount of flowers, etc. that we're getting, some women have paid anywhere between $1000-1500...for the same stuff! It's crazy...my only problem now is possibly asking more bridesmaids which would mean more flowers. We'll see how that goes.

As you said, too, I think outdoor weddings look nicer with at least some real flowers. Throwing fake ones in is not bad at all! Money saver...I actually think we're going to try for some fake petals to have down the aisle.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 3:41 PM Go to message in response to: DAS824

Hey Ladies- lots of info- some high's some low's. First we'll start on a high note! Had my boudoir pics taken today! Such a crazy thing! They look great- and I had fun!! Can't wait to get the real ones! Bad note- we then got to pricing- I DID NOT REALIZE how much they cost! And I was feeling such horrible pressure from her to buy big packages. I ended up sticking to my guns and bought a small package that would give FH a preview and then later when we have better finances we can get a lot more. So I'm glad I didn't give in.
HORRIBLE NOTE- FH lost his job yesterday. The company lost half their revenue and had to let people go- FH got to be one of the lucky ones. They told him it was on based on performance and they'll do anything to help him out. But he needed to get so many hours at that job to complete his internship credits to get his degree- well he doesn't have enough at this point so he's scrambling to figure out what to do about that. But this means we're both unemployed!!! I'm TERRIFIED! I don't tell him this b/c I want to stay positive and supportive. But wow! We just got this new apt, we just bought our plane tickets, and I had paid for that boudoir session! Had this happened last week I wouldn't have done all those things! So I'm just beside myself. I can't be picky on job selection anymore- I need to just find a job. So I just needed to vent and to ask you all to send up a prayer for FH and me that some jobs will come our way soon. Thanks girls, hope you all have a great weekend

"Come What May... "

MichelleandRob Posts : 194 Registered: 5/12/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

That is horrible and you have my prayers. Remember this... (and I am not a really religious person) but God only puts on your plate what he knows you can handle. I think you are doing the right thing by remaining postive. If the company is willing to help him out so much, perhaps he can work part time until he has his hours?

Good luck!

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 9:25 AM Go to message in response to: MichelleandRob

Thanks Michelle I appreciate the prayers and I know God will help us. He apparently has different plans for us than what we thought and I know we need to trust Him. FH has been talking to his company and trying to figure out what he can do to get his internship hour credits. Hopefully they'll be understanding and let him work or something to at least get those credits.

I'm just kicking myself for getting those pictures done- if I'd only known I would never have booked it and spent that money that we really need now. Oh should've would've could'ves.... but our hindsight is always 20/20 I suppose! Anyway, thanks for the prayers, I'll keep you updated- hopefully some good news soon!

"Come What May... "

Posted: Jan 18, 2009 11:39 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Brooke, I'm sorry you're going through a tough time! Hindsight is always 20/20, but knowing things before they happen would be way too easy (though nice). Don't beat yourself up over things that you've already done. It's just best to start with where you are now and doing what you can to make sure things don't get worse. I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope things start going your way soon!

Any new wedding planning going on? I finally asked all the bridesmaids. RIDICULOUS...FH and I got into a little tiff about one of the girls because he said he didn't like her and just didn't want her at all even though I already planned on asking her. Long story short, he changed his tune and she's in. So I'll have 1 MOH and 4 BMs. And right now his definite count is 1BM and 2 GM. He could end up with 5 all together too, we'll see.

Hopefully all dresses will be ordered by Wednesday. I also need to keep checking out officiants. I called a few and they're more expensive than I expected. Not a lot, just more than I thought. Also trying to get hair ideas.

Oh, and I ordered my dress Dec 1st and was told it could take 3-4 months. I called the shop and they said their estimated delivery date is Feb 13th!!! I'm stoked!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine