New here, just checking it out

Online Users: 1,359 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

VivaLasVegasBride Posts : 52 Registered: 1/9/09
New here, just checking it out
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 6:59 PM

Well I guess you can put me in the waiting for the ring category. We've picked the date, but not because we had to, it's just a great date which I'll ellaborate on in a minute. He's "unofficially" asked but refuses to officially ask until he has the ring in his hand, which could be forever since he's more concerned about the ring than I am. He's a bit of a perfectionist and insists on getting the big ring, when I'd be happy with something pretty and simple. But I'm fine where we're at right now, we're going ahead with some planning, and we have a year and a half, so there is no rush.

As for the date, we picked it because his birthday is July 16th, mine is July 18th, and July 17th just happens to fall on a saturday next year. Neat huh?

Other than that, we want to get married up in Cambria, since it's a favorite spot of ours. That's about it. Sorry I'm kind of boring, lol.

SanaChan Posts : 47 Registered: 1/2/08
Re: New here, just checking it out
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 7:08 PM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

Welcome to the forums! There are a lot of ladies here that are in
similar situations, or have been in similar situations. You'll find a
lot of help and support that may help you keep a little bit of sanity
as you wait, and then during your wedding planning process. I'd check
out the "unofficially engaged" thread, as there are quite a few of us
in there talking about situations like this!

That's a really cool date! That will mean a lot for you two, and will always give you a good excuse to take those 3 days off every year, if not take your vacation time. (Maybe go back to your favorite spot )

Welcome again, and never hezitate to ask any questions, even if you think they may be stupid. Someone should have the answer, and usually someone else is wondering the same thing!

"Those who want to relive their youth, are probably too old to remember it."

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 7:17 PM Go to message in response to: SanaChan

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I did check out the "unofficial thread" but it scared me, lol. Just kidding. I think I consider myself engaged so didn't know if I quite fit in there. We've told our closest friends and family about the date, and my future sister in law is my maid of honor, so that makes it more official right? It's my FH's obsession with the perfect ring and proposal, not mine, lol.

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 7:42 PM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

Oh well, that makes sense. One of the women on here, (I believe it was Myra, I could be wrong) said that women usually are the ones that dream of the perfect wedding, while men want a picture perfect proposal. I couldn't agree more! The proposal is pretty much the only thing then men have 100% control over, and it's something every bride-to-be will talk about all the time, even well after they are married.

You know what was really scary, and I wish I would have taken a picture of it, was this "pre-engagement magazine" I saw at the drug store the other day. The most frighting thing ever! I decided to open it up to see what could possibly be in this magazine, and it was primarily pictures of rings, and articles about how to drop hints and about the "perfect engagement"

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: SanaChan

That is frightening! They have magazines for that? Crazy!

As for the men obsessing about the proposal, the 100% control thing makes sense, and it probably doesn't help that my FH is a perfectionist, lol.

digwriter Posts : 25 Registered: 12/19/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

Welcome again! Hope you like it here. It's a fun place to be.

PV2PHILLIPS2B Posts : 25 Registered: 1/13/09
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 11:07 AM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

Welcome Cambria! Hope this site and these forums give you the insight and comfort you need through this amazing time in your life! The ladies here always have a variety of great points of view to basically any problem. They are very supportive when you have an issue, and seem to really revel in your joys as well!

Sana, I agree 100% with the men wanting the perfect proposal, and the women want a perfect wedding. FH is not a romantic guy, but when it comes to talking about proposing he seems to want to make it really special and memorable... I just want him to do it already so I can start ACTUALLY planning our perfect wedding! LOL

PrincessDee Posts : 58 Registered: 1/6/09
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

Hi, and welcome. I'm new to the forum, too, but it seems like a really supportive and fun place. My FH wants to make sure to get me the right ring, too, but in our case that means whatever ring I want. My tastes aren't too extravagent, and because my fingers are so small, I feel like anything too big would overpower my finger. So, a half carat three stone ring is pretty much perfect for me. However, he has made it very clear that if I find something I like that's on the more expensive side, he'd rather get that for me. Maybe some of it is pride, but I think our men mostly just want to make us really happy. =-)

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

Hey Cambria!

I got married last year on July 17, too!

You will love this site. There are a whole bunch of girls who are more than willing to help out. I don't know what I would have done without this site and all the girls here.

Good luck and let us know when he pops the question!

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Thank you for the big welcome ladies! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's FH is the picky one about the proposal.

I did a silly thing yesterday, when I was looking at wedding show information for the county FH and I plan on getting married in, they had it to where you can put in your email and some details and you'll get vendor information. So I thought, "what's the harm, I need to start researching, a few emails won't hurt." Boy was I wrong! I think I'm up to 31 emails from all these vendors! Holy crap! The neat thing is that in my info I mentioned that FH and I hope to get married at Cambria Pines Lodge, and guess who emailed me? The coordinator from Cambria Pines! She's sending me some info and answered some questions I had, and offered to meet with me and FH when we go visit there in April. Even FH was happy about that, even though he was teasing me about all my wedding spam, lol.

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 5:07 PM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

That is AWESOME! I hope you love it! (I feel like a fool but where is Cambria?)

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

It's on the Central California Coast, just south of San Simeon where Hearst Castle is. It's beautiful and I highly recommend it!

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Jan 16, 2009 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

Cambria Pines Lodge is beautiful! My office had their company holiday party there last year and we really liked the ballroom, the food and the service. Are you doing the ceremony there too?

I remember telling my DH then that it would be a fun place to get married!

Just Married...9.20.08

Formerly BenjaminsBride 

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 7:36 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

Isn't it gorgeous? We're hoping to do the ceremony in the garden. We originally thought about a beach ceremony, but we're not big beach people and I'm like hmmm...it would be easier and more convenient to have it at Cambria Pines. Not only that but we don't have to do much to decorate, it's in a beautiful garden! Here's a link in case anyone wants to see, and pictures of the grounds.

Edited by: CambriaBride2010 on Jan 16, 2009 7:39 PM

Posted: Jan 17, 2009 3:19 AM Go to message in response to: VivaLasVegasBride

That sounds amazing! I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know where it was though :P

And yea, that magazine, scares the shit out of me. lol

I can't wait to hear your proposal story! I'm sure it will be amazing!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine