Breakfast food for evening reception?

Online Users: 1,396 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 23

Oct09Bride Posts : 2 Registered: 11/4/08
Breakfast food for evening reception?
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 11:21 AM

My reception venue does their own catering. After looking over their menus, their dinner menus are just so-so, but their breakfast buffet sound excellent - eggs (possibly omelet bar), bacon, ham, sausage, biscuits, gravy, grits, fruit, juice, coffee, and a waffle/pancake bar. The problem is, my wedding is in the evening. Do you think people would think this was unique and exciting if I let them know what to expect, or do you think people would think it was weird and be disappointed? All advice welcome!

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Re: Breakfast food for evening reception?
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 11:48 AM Go to message in response to: Oct09Bride

I personally would think it's weird. But that's just me.

I will admit that it does sound interesting though.

Just Married...9.20.08

Formerly BenjaminsBride 

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 12:14 PM Go to message in response to: Oct09Bride

I love breakfast foods, so I wouldn't mind. My first reaction would be, 'Breakfast foods at a wedding reception...hmm, that's a little odd,' but then I'd grab a fork. Sounds yummy.

Is it even an option for a dinner reception, though? Breakfast is usually priced lower than dinner, so I doubt that the venue would allow it for a dinner reception, unless perhaps you were willing to pay their normal dinner prices for it.

I have to admit, though, after thinking about it for a minute or two, it might be a little strange. I've never been to a brunch wedding reception, so maybe that's why it seems odd...but I'm trying to imagine the transition between eating pancakes one minute and then getting up and dancing the next. I don't know...

DaisypathWedding Ticker

MoreThanExpected Posts : 158 Registered: 2/13/07
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 12:18 PM Go to message in response to: Oct09Bride

I actually love the idea, but I think it would depend on how formal or casual you are looking to go with your wedding. If your reception will have a more casual feeling I think it would be a fun and welcomed idea (think of the popularity of serving breakfast all day in a lot of restaurants). However if you are planning on a black tie affair I don't think it would go over as well. Hope this helps a bit.

“Marriage is an expression of love and respect and trust and faith in the future, but the union of husband and wife is also an alliance against the challenges and tradgedies of life a promise that with me in your corner, you will never stand alone.”

-Dean Koontz,from the corner of his eye 

QWENBE Posts : 9 Registered: 1/13/09
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: MoreThanExpected

It's your day... you're paying...it's your decision. Be as creative as you would like to be. I promise your guests will eat whatever type of meal is offered to them.

"WHEN PEOPLE SEE US, THEY SEE LOVE.  IF THEY SEE LOVE, THEY SEE GOD!!!" - FH

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: QWENBE

Hello! I think inatially it may be odd, but how many people love to eat brekfast for dinner? I remember when I was little I would get so excited when my mom made pancakes for dinner. Are you a couple that after a long day breakfast for dinner is perfect? If so then I say go far it, its unique and possibly you! However I do agree with if its a black tie affair it might not go over well....We are having a brunch reception, but our recption starts at like 11am so it will work for us....Good luck and let us know what you decide!

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

I agree with the pp who said that this might be ok if you are having a very informal reception, but would seem bizarre if you were having a semi-formal or black tie party! Think about it - yes it's common for people to eat breakfast at odd times of day, but when you do this it's generally a VERY informal meal. I had eggs and toast for dinner last night, and I ate them sitting on my couch in pajamas :)

One way to make it work could be to work it into an overall theme, in which case it would make more sense. Something like "breakfast in bed" or "beginning of a brand new day" - I'm not exactly sure what would work here! But if it was part of a bigger picture it would make more sense, as opposed to having your guests show up to an evening wedding reception and suddenly finding brunch, which could throw people off!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: Oct09Bride

It might work if you did it really late in the evening, past the dinner hour. For example, if you held your ceremony after 8PM, did a cake cutting and some dancing, then served a late evening "brunch." A lot depends on your crowd, also. If they're older and traditional, this probably will not fly. If they're younger, hipper, then it might. Or, if you want this menu, why not a noon ceremony and a brunch reception? You could do an afterparty with your younger friends at a local bar/club.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 8:00 PM Go to message in response to: myra

I think the idea sounds neat. But logistically, there could be some problems. As someone said, if this costs a lot less, your hall may not let you use it as a dinner option.

Second, while a lot of people do eat "breakfast for dinner", a lot of others don't really eat breakfast food at all, ever. So know your crowd. If you really, really want to do this, you could always spread it word of mouth to give people the heads up (you will get less looks of "hmm, that's odd" the day-of)

Third, I agree that it would seem out of place as a super-formal reception. But a more informal one would be alright.

Don't want to discourage you. I personally would love it. You just might want to think about a few things before making your final decision!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 8:54 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I love the idea!! Seriously, who doesn't love a breakfast with all the fixin's?? It sounds like you have everyone covered too, from biscuits and gravy to eggs and bacon! FAB!! Serve a few momosas with it and I think you're set! I would personally love the juxtoposition of people in tuxes eating breakfast!! hehehe

IMG_7875.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: Oct09Bride

I LOVE breakfast food! I would LOVE your reception!! I think it would be very unique and even if it was a formal reception- you could "spruce up" the options- add some different selections to make the omelet staion fancier such as gouda cheese or blue cheese, or make the pancake/waffle stand fancier with different berry syrups served in fancier serving ware. Add some fruit like raspberries and such and I think the formality could go over well. Either way- I think most guests would love and welcome the idea! I would get TOTALLY full on that! And when you think about it, even with dinners there are always a few people who don't like what's being served, it's near impossible to please ALL your guests- especially if you have a large guest list. But if it's something you and FH really want- go for it! Check with the venue and make sure you can do it and if you need to spruce it up what they can do about that too. Best of luck!

"Come What May... "

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 10:36 PM Go to message in response to: Oct09Bride

oooh... you're in Alabama.... I might have to crash THAT reception!

I'm a breakfast food junkie and think that is the best meal of the day. I would absolutely think it was quite fun and unique....besides, how many weddings have you been to with beef, veal, or chicken. the cool thing is it really does sort of cater to all sorts of diets -- your basic carbovore (bread freak), gluton intolerant, vegetarian, vegan, diabetic, carnivore, etc.

and if you did theme it.... like a PP said "It's a Brand New Day" you can work it

Break with tradition -- serve the grits!

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 10:37 PM Go to message in response to: Oct09Bride

FH says: "Breakfast: It's not just for breakfast anymore"

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 1:34 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I've been thinking, and I don't think it would be horrible for a formal reception either. Maybe avoid it for a true black tie event. The only reason I think I said it was a better idea for an informal reception is because of what people tend to expect from formal affairs. But again, you could always spread the info word-of-mouth so that people aren't shocked.

I mean, I do know people who don't like breakfast food, but then again, there are people who don't like chicken, steak, etc. So you'll never please anyone anyway.

Personally, I LOVE pancakes at night, and you inspired me to have some for supper, lol. But I can't eat eggs at night- they make me sick. But I can eat them in the morning. How weird is that?

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 9:58 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I do love breakfast and eat it for dinner all the time. I would just say that you need to know your crowd, like my siblings all dislike breakfast and always request ham sandwiches whenever we have a brunch, since ham can still be for brunch. Maybe have options like that for any non-breakfast lovers?

The only other thing to consider is what kinds of drinks do you want to serve? If you do go with the brunch, I'd consider also switching drinks to mimosas and bloody marys and things like that. Beer and pancakes just don't really do it for most people :-)

I think it could absolutely work if you know your crowd and if the hall allows it.

Best of luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine