Anyone use NuvaRing?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 21

independant2406 Posts : 58 Registered: 12/8/08
Anyone use NuvaRing?
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 12:40 PM

Sorry if this is TMI.... but I need some advice....

Do any of you ladies use the NuvaRing for BC?

I've been on OrthTriCyclin and it worked well with my body (when i remembered to take it :P...) and I then went on the patch. I liked the patch because I didn't have to constantly remember to take it at the SAME TIME every day and all that. BUT.... I've been having night sweats and issues with the patch affecting my hormone balance.... so the doctor has given me a prescription for NuvaRing.

Honestly the whole idea scares me a bit...can your partner feel the ring during intercourse? Have you ever "lost it into the abyss" (LOL) and had to have it retrieved by the doctor?

I dunno I'm just scared and wierded out by it, so I'd like to hear some first hand advice from someone who's been on it...

Thanks in advance for your help.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Re: Anyone use NuvaRing?
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 12:52 PM Go to message in response to: independant2406

Hello! I am on the NuvaRing. I like you couldn't remember for the life of me to take my pills.....and when I did it was never at the same time. So I started with the shot......But I got scared after I met FH and it took my sister about 3 years to get preganant after having the shot so I wanted to try something else...that wasn't a pill. I love my NuvaRing....I have only once forgotten to take it out which actually is fine, theres only enought hormones in it for the 3 weeks you keep it in.....FH hasn't complained about being able to feel it and not like it. Yes, he can feel it sometimes but its not like Whoa what is that I have to stop now. I can feel it during intercourse if it inda gets side ways you can feel it move....but once again isn;'t scary or mood killing. The only thing that my fh has a problem wth..and sorry if it is TMI is oral....hes afriad he will get hormones and start growing boobs or something....lol. If it does bother you while it is in during "relations" you can take it out. I think I heard you can have it out for a max of like 5 hours with no problems...but Don't quote me on how long that is... I have never had it get lost.....I think its to big to go in to far.....and It is kinda big....I was expecting something smaller when I got it, and it did take me a while to get used to putting in....but its like a tampon you just have to bend it in half and viola!....

Good luck!!

Lilmisssouthern... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/12/08
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 12:59 PM Go to message in response to: independant2406

I have used the Nuvaring before. it was very easy and convenient as far as memory goes and there were no side effects for me. My bf at the time said he could feel it only when we were messing around like hands... he didnt feel it during intercourse. But I got weirded out by inserting it so i stopped using it.

Can't wait to be  a Mrs.

http://www.mywedding.com/shannonandbrandon<magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
Free Disney Tickers

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 1:15 PM Go to message in response to: Lilmisssouthern...

I have the prescribtion for the Nuva Ring... but It cost $50 a month so right now... we are taking a chance i see the doc next month so i'm goin gto see if i can get something that is cheaper and convienant..

The Shot... it took me 3 years to get pregnant... well... 3 years and i got pregnant!
lol
Daisypath Next Aniversary PicDaisypath Next Aniversary Ticker 
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 1:30 PM Go to message in response to: independant2406

When I first got on BC, I was afraid I would forget to take pills so I was on the patch. It made me moody and I had issues with it not staying on so I switched to Nuvaring. I really liked it and never had any problems with it. I believe it has a low dose of hormones. My boyfriend at the time never had any problems with being able to feel it or anything like that, but you can take it out for a short period of time if that does happen (I would take it out as a last resort though). It's been about three years since I have been on it. I would love to use it again, but it's a bit pricier than the pills I take now (about $30 with my insurance vs. $9 with insurance for the pill).

MrsPaul Posts : 186 Registered: 1/15/08
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: independant2406

Personally I use the NuvaRing and love it! However, both my husband and I feel it during intercourse. So we take it out and put it back in when we are done. I really suck at remembering things and knock on wood... 2 years and no questions. The other thing is that it has made my periods much less painful (used to have cysts with every period) and MUCH shorter! Neither of which I will complain about ;) The only side effect I have noticed was weight gain. Which I will complain about! But it is minor and in the scheme of things, or pounds I should say, it is very worth it. As far as taking it out and putting it in you get used to it and it really is simple. Above all talk to your doctor about any concerns. Good Luck!
wedding ticker for myspace

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 5:16 PM Go to message in response to: independant2406

I use NuvaRing and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I was on ortho tricyclen for about 3years before I switched to the ring. The pills did weird things with my hormones and made me pretty sick. The ring gave me NO side affects or mood swings and it has made my 7day periods down to 3 days!!! (over the course of 5yrs). I also love how if I want to skip a period (like on my wedding day) I just put a new one in and have no period plus no side affects! Also, almost immediately after stopping using it, your hormones return to "normal" and you can get pregnant very soon after.

As far as the "feeling" it part....my EH can feel it only with his fingers. At first he could feel it when we had sex but only right at the beginning and only for the 1st couple times. We've only ever had it come out a couple times which is fine cuz we just put it right back in!

You CAN NOT lose it! Your vagina is only so deep and there is no way for it to enter the cervix. It's just human science.

However, I strongly recommend you talk to your doctor about all the questions you have regarding it and how you feel about it. He/she shouldnt' be prescriping you something you are uncomfortable about using/taking.

Good luck!

Mrs. Pinky

vday.gif picture by jenny3_26_05

Our Wedding Website 

My mom: "Xanax - sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

My friend: "Alcohol just makes the floor hate me even more."

DoesntPlayNice Posts : 809 Registered: 12/17/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 10:41 AM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I just started using it...going on the 3rd month now and I LOVE it.

I was on Seasoneque and had gained about 30 lbs...was on that for almost a year when all of a sudden i got a period that lasted like 3 weeks while i was taking the active pills. So i went to the doctor and got more information on the ring and decided to give it a try.

After switching to the ring I lost some of the weight fast (i was also going to the gym so it didnt just magically fall off)

My husband said he could feel it but it wasnt really a problem. I did take it out once because it shifted and was kind of hurting me....but have not had that problem since that one time.
You can leave it out up to 3 hours.

at first i was really scared it was going to fall out when i was using the bathroom or something (which is dumb because it is really too big to just fall out LOL) but i checked to make sure it was still there everytime i went to the bathroom for the first month LOL

Previously Posted as Military Bride.

Back from Iraq and ready to switch out the ACU's for a Wedding Dress!

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 5:14 PM Go to message in response to: independant2406

I've tried BC in many different forms and none worked well for me. I didn't experience weight gain, but I had other symptoms that were just no good. The pills made me sick to my stomache. I tried the patch, I didn't like that for 2 reasons, 1.) it left sticky black marks like bandaids can. Gross, who wants that on their body all the time? and 2.) I only had it on for a week and a half. I started vomitting the day after putting it on and about a week later, took the patch off (finally made the connection) and was better after a day. So needless to say, I had a bad reaction to the patch. I then tried the Nuva Ring. I was excited about not having to have periods as mine were painful and heavy all the time. The Nuva ring wasn't uncomfortable all the time, but it came out during sex. That's annoying and the Dr. never told me it was ok to take it out for any amount of time. The BIG downer for me was the fact that the Dr. prescribed it because we were aiming to get me on only 4 periods a year, and instead I was having a 2 week long period, then 2 weeks off, then 2 week long period, etc. The Dr. said give it three months, your body just has to get used to it. I gave it 4 months and gave up.

Always kiss me goodnight

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: independant2406

Okay - I have been on a lot of different types of BC, I was on the patch the longest.

As far as the Nuva Ring goes - It did NOT work for me. 1 - the hormones did not agree with my system, I had a ridiculously heavy period (with huge clots of blood), drastic mood swings (crying one minute laughing the next), horrible cramps and was otherwise miserable. During the one month I was on it my then BF and I played "ring toss" almost every time we were intimate. Which meant that afterwards he would then have to take the ring off of him, I'd wash it off and put it back into me. Not exactly a lot of fun every single time. Then at the end of the month, I couldn't find it. It was missing. Apparently sometimes it can fall out when you're going to the bathroom and you don't even notice. However in order to be sure that is what happened I had to go to my ob gyn who had to stick her hand inside me to see if she could locate it because it would not be good to just leave it inside me. I therefore had a horrible experience with the ring and would never dream of going back on it. However, I have a few friends who are on it, have been for years, and love it. Everyone is different.

I enjoyed the patch, I rarely had any problems with it whatsoever. It would make me a bit moody sometimes, and it had a negative impact on my sex-drive, but it was convenient and easy and the side effects weren't that bad.

I was on deprovera for a while (oral pill) and that hormone-wise was probably the best match for me, but I hated having to take a pill every single day, it was a great big hassle, especially since I was not sexually active while I was on it and it really was just for regulation purposes.

So I say try the ring - if it works for you great - if not ah well you can go back to the patch or look into non-hormone based IUDs (which is what I think I'm going to end up going on after we have our kids) if you're thinking about putting off kids for a while.
When is my wedding

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 5:30 PM Go to message in response to: LinzZ

LinzZ - sucks about the BC...have you tried a IUD or the shots? Even if your doc never told you, you could take it out for sex, it says it on the insert when your pharmacist gives you the prescription. Did you not ever read that? So are you on nothing now?

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website 

My mom: "Xanax - sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 5:43 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

No, I didn't read it. To be honest, I started the pills when I was 15 for regulation purposes, and then the others were all prescribed for regulation purposes, too. I started having sex at 16 (with my first long term BF after dating for 6 months, then with my now Husband several months after breaking up with the ex). I was 16 when I was on the patch and the pill as well (I understand those are very hormonal times anyway, so that may have effected the way I responded to the BC). I was young, my mom was a nurse, and I wasn't asking questions about how it would affect my sex life. After I turned 17, I gave up on having BC regulate my periods and tried a Rx that would ease the pain (it didn't work either). At about 18 I noticed they had become more regular and with a hot pad at night and advil, I could manage. So no, I'm not on anything now. DH and I don't even use condoms (he pulls out). BC isn't a concern for us right now. We aren't trying to get pregnant (plan to start trying in September of this year though!!!!!), but if it happened, we'd be thrilled.

Always kiss me goodnight

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 5:53 PM Go to message in response to: LinzZ

Oh okay I understand. I couldn't imagine being on nothing...

Mrs. Pinky

Our Wedding Website 

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 6:08 PM Go to message in response to: independant2406

I use the Nuva Ring- just started about 3 months ago. Before that I was on the shot and I started to gain some weight so I freaked out and decided to stop. I personally love the ring because you just need to calendar it for three weeks (3 weeks in, 1 week out) and that works for me. I was so horrible taking the pill. I could never remember to do it at the same time because each day I am doing something different at that time. There would be times that I was so busy that I would skip a whole day or even two! Anyways, it is somewhat larger then what I expected but it will not "get lost" and when you take it out you just wrap your finger around it and pull. My DH says that he can feel it during foreplay but not actual intercourse.

So far I like it and I am going to continue usuing it, especially because of its convenience.

Anjelbabe Posts : 55 Registered: 1/10/09
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 9:04 PM Go to message in response to: Lilmisssouthern...

You can leave the ring out for 2 hours. ( here is where I had issues with it) sorr if TMI but er he kept pulling it out and I would not notice it till the morning when in was under me. Never had this problem before I was on it for about 2 years. He can feel it it does not bother them sometimes you can feel it. ( TMI again) but I use something called Instead for my monthly girl thing and it feels about the same. If you get cramps the preasure it/they put on you relieves the cramps a little. I had to stop taking it because he kept pulling it out. He didn't relize he was doing it either. IME Patch = horable skin reash about 3 inches around the aria the patch was on, Shot = Forever TTC, chip = Forever TTC, ballons break, pills = vomit and nuvaring = good BC as long as you have it in.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine