Anyone ordered a custom dress off of ebay?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

AMM2009 Posts : 59 Registered: 10/30/08
Anyone ordered a custom dress off of ebay?
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 10:04 AM

I was just wondering if anyone had ever ordered a dress from one of the custom stores off of ebay or any of the other sites like that. It seems that alot of the dresses are made in China for a fraction of the price. It would be a great deal for someone trying to save on a budget. I would just feel better knowing others experiences. Thanks for any input!

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.

racegrrl720 Posts : 31 Registered: 4/13/08
Re: Anyone ordered a custom dress off of ebay?
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 10:48 AM Go to message in response to: AMM2009

I did. It didn't turn out QUITE like the picture they posted,but it was pretty darn close... close enough considering the dress in the picture was Maggie Sottero's Suzanne, and costs around $1800 to purchase it in a bridal salon, and I paid only $150.00!
I'll say if you know someone that can do alterations for you for a reasonable price or, even better, for free, then go for it... there are a few things on the dress that I would be adjusting if I were actually going to end up using it (I'm not going to be wearing that dress because our wedding has considerably downsized since I bought it and I'm looking for something more simple and less heavy)... like some of the lace needs to be tacked down and the modesty panel in the back needs adjusted, it didn't have any beading so I was going to add some swarovski crystals to the bodice, etc, and my aunt who's a seamstress was going to do all of that. She was actually going to be making my dress but when I saw this one on eBay I couldn't pass it up... plus she said we couldn't have even bought the materials for only $150.00. I figured it was a $150.00 gamble... if it was hideous, then I was only out $150... if it wasn't then I saved $1500.00!
I'm probably going to end up selling this dress on eBay again and buying my dress from David's Bridal online. Mostly because I want the option of returning it if it isn't to my liking...

vcukoko82 Posts : 6 Registered: 1/2/09
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 10:57 AM Go to message in response to: AMM2009

I would not do that. That is too much of a gamble. Most bridal salons have clearance racks where you can get really nice dresses for really cheap.

Ayaya Posts : 15 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 7:37 PM Go to message in response to: AMM2009

I actually considered about ordering from them since I couldn't spend a lot on my dress. but I was very worried about not being able to see the actual dress I'm getting.
so instead, I found a dress I love for reception at Davids Bridal and went on ebay and got it from a girl who planned on wearing but found another one she is going to wear. The dress is brand new with tag originally costs around $500 but I paid only $135 including the shipping.
I also got my ceremony gown from a discovery store my grand mother in law volunteers at and it's a brand new dress with tag by oleg cassini and originally costs more than $1000 but I paid only $150.
I'm so happy with my dresses!!!
I think ebay is the great way to save some money. You can find so many dresses but since you can't actually try them on, I would recomend getting ones thats you can still go try on at stores  or you are sure about the quality, size..etc..  

ShoelaceGirl Posts : 33 Registered: 8/31/08
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: AMM2009

I did and really couldn't be happier. I ordered mine from ebridalstore. I spent a bit less than $200 including shipping, and it's good quality--nice, thick satin, good construction. A few things to consider: ask for fabric samples first, get accurate measurements from a sewing buddy or seamstress, give yourself plenty of time for shipping, have a seamstress on hand for last minute alterations, always check their feedback and email their past customers for any pointers and what they really think after the adreniline rush of "OMG It's a wedding dress!!!".

LizWearsTights Posts : 57 Registered: 8/20/07
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 3:33 PM Go to message in response to: ShoelaceGirl

I have a friend who just went to China over Christmas (his wife's family lives there), and he got a custom made, fitted suit for $80. He showed it to me and it looks like a $2000 suit. Before that, I was a little leary about ordering from China, but I'm definitely going to do it now. I will probably have to make a few alterations, though. I don't think I'll do it on ebay, I'll probably go to one of the various Chinese knockoff bridal shops, which I will list later once I remember all of them.

http://mondaybear.com

byebye Posts : 37 Registered: 7/30/08
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 11:22 AM Go to message in response to: LizWearsTights

In a post about David's Bridal a couple of months ago, I said I was goinng to order from peridress, but after reading that racergrrl720's dress turned out pretty good from ebridalstore, I decided to try them instead. And I'm really glad I did, I love it! I didn't even go through ebay, I jut emailed them directly the pictures of the dress I wanted, which was this dress

http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/runway/designer/amsale/detail/162715?offset=42#_chip=0

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 11:31 AM Go to message in response to: byebye

and then they sent a quote, (actually I sent pics of three dresses, one which they said they couldn't do- it had complicated fabric work, but I decided this was my fav so I only ordered this one), I sent my meaurements and a $50 deposit and they said it would take 30 days. It actually took about 25 days and they sent pics which looked pretty good so I sent the rest for a total cost of $159 for everything. When I got the dress (yesterday) I was SO excited..it was alot better then it even looked in the pictures. The fabric is alot better than the DB online dresses I had bought and better than some of the more expensive dresses I've tried on in other stores. I need to tighten the chest just a tad- and shorten it about 2 inches, I'm 6' though so having to shorten a dress is a relief for me cause usually they are too short. As far as how close to the pictures- very. The flowers are different, but I actually like them better than Amsale's flowers and the chest part is a little taller, of course there is less fabric in the front of the dress than Amsale's, but their's has an incredible amount of fabric in the front. When I have the dress on, the fabric in the back looks pretty similar to the amsale pic because the fabric isn't all spread out as it is in my pic, but gathered, so that looks almost exactly the same. I just got it yesterday, so only have the pics they sent, plus a couple I managed to take by myself.

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 11:40 AM Go to message in response to: byebye

Here they are..

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 11:48 AM Go to message in response to: byebye

I'm having a hard time getting the pictures I took to post for some reason. The dress did come in a plastic bag, so is super wrinkled, and the flowers (which aren't attached- came with safety pins) were super flattened, but the flowers are already poufed back out and the dress is a bit better already after hanging up over night, nothing a little steaming can't fix. And with this dress being seriously...almost the exact same at $159 vs the original at $6000....I really feel I got a steal and if you are going to go the chinese route (and really for $159- its not much of a risk) I'd recommend ebridalstore@hotmail . Someone else from this forum recommend them to me, which is why I even tried them and I would recommend them too. Of course, my dress didn't have fancy lace or beading..so if I wanted to go that style, I might not have came out so well, but who knows? anyway, thats my experience. After I get my wedding pics- the big day isn't until June 6- I hopefully will be able to post a bunch of good shots of it.

RRRyan Posts : 1 Registered: 2/5/09
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: AMM2009

I ordered one 2 months ago, sent in my measurements and just got it last week in the mail. It was awful, cheaply made, too big in the bust by 6 inches (and I wear a D cup) and too small around the waist making me look pregnant. I took it to a taylor for almost what I paid originally and it still looks terrible. Sure wish I hadn't been so cheap because I am now stuck with a dress I don't like for what should be the "best day of my life"!

BillysBride2010 Posts : 3 Registered: 3/22/09
Posted: Mar 22, 2009 12:54 PM Go to message in response to: RRRyan

I think if you decide to go this route, do a few things (this is my take from MONTHS of talking to other girls on the forum who did the same and what issues they encountered):

Use an Ebay manufacturer who comes recommended from a bride YOU KNOW.

Allow plenty of time for problems with the dress. Don't order it at the last minute since it may turn out you either hate it or it needs alterations to make it your true dream dress.

Ask them what materials they offer for the design. It's amazing to me the number of overeas manufacturers who claim they can make an exact duplicate, but once you read the fine print or ask directly, they say they only use two or three different fabrics and you have no choice.

I've known some gals who had GREAT experiences and some who were in tears when they posted after getting their gown in the mail. Just be realistic and use all the precautions you can and you may end up getting yourself a bargain.

bellavenezia Posts : 1 Registered: 5/3/09
Posted: May 3, 2009 9:08 AM Go to message in response to: AMM2009

I don't have too much experience in ordering customised dresses on ebay but for my horrendous experience with rogue traders - kaersen bridal.

I ordered 10 dresses. Silly me! based on positive reviews... they must write them themselves. THEY ARE ROGUE TRADERS!!! They STOLE my designs and refused to send them to me even though I had paid for it.

It is now advertised on their website. They are thieves and liars. I was so shocked. I was going to town on this I ordered 10 dresses. They took my deposit, claiming that they would send me the pictures and if I didn't like them all I had to do was say and they would refund or remake.

They made card board 2 pence looking things so I asked them to remake them then they went off line and I didn't hear anything from them for a month (no responses to my emails and calls) They then resurfaced and said I should send them my address that they would send me the only dress I liked and they have not and again have refused to return calls or reply emails.

Bad quality dresses, bad quality service. Dont waste your time. They are only attentive until you have paid.

xxVBxx

sweetchica1988 Posts : 23 Registered: 3/25/09
Posted: May 4, 2009 5:46 PM Go to message in response to: AMM2009

My cousin ordered her dress from Ebay. The design was Maggie Sottero's Mona Lisa Royale. She loves the dress, but it was advertised for $150. Her sister offered to pay for it but since she's a plus size bride they told her she had to pay another $200. That's just her experience.

jenndahl Posts : 1 Registered: 5/5/09
Posted: May 5, 2009 4:24 PM Go to message in response to: AMM2009

Yes! I ordered my wedding dress from Swan Wedding on Ebay. It's a replica of a Maggie Soltero dress and I love it!! Of course, there are some differences but I think it turned out wonderful. I was so stressed about ordering the dress from China but the vendor does have a return policy. The dress arrived very quickly and fits perfectly. I will not need any alterations. I only paid $145 which included a pettycoat and express shipping. I saved $1200!!! The dress came in a compact package, so I do need to have the dress pressed but that's not a big deal. I have pictures if you are interested. Good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine