Blockbuster vs Netflix?

Online Users: 1,262 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 23

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: Blockbuster vs Netflix?
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

We're thinking of switching from blockbuster 3movies/unlimited to netflix. Blockbuster increased their prices for themonthly service. Although, for us it's super convenient to be able to take the online/mail rentals in to the store and switch them out for other ones (then blockbuster sends them back and within a day the online service has sent the next ones on your list, so you actually get double the movies) we never end up watching them and blockbuster's fees are just outrageous now. Like MsD said, in fact, over december we got hit with $210 in fees. I have no idea what they're for, so we are at our last nerve with them.

Anyway, let me know if you sign up and if you like netflix and how fast they are. I had them long ago, when new, and didn't like them but they're probably made changes. The whole watching from video game system is not a selling point, we don't have one hooked to our tv and never will. But, DH does want to build a media server and if we could download to that, to ocmputer and watch that'd be cool.

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 4:52 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Kelley: Great choice! It really is great getting your movies in the mail, and not having to worry about any late fees whatsoever. We kept a movie for a couple of MONTHS once, and no late fee, no nagging to get it sent back, nothing. When we finally did send it back, we got the next movie in our queue sent right out. DH and I currently are on the 3-at-a-time unlimited plan, for $16.99 a month. This plan also allows us to watch unlimited instant-watch movies (whichever ones are available to download and watch on the PC). :)

Cyndi: That is an outrageous amount in fees! They better at least be able to explain what they're for. Hopefully you can get the charges reversed like we did.

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

Mrs McD, we got $58 of them reversed. Now is not a good day to ask me about Blockbuster. :( I do know, since my daughter works for them, that they are having serious financial issues and the online part hurts their revenue a lot, including the part where you can drop off the online rental and pick up in store movies for free. But netflix has hurt them and so do those video vending machines and online movies. I don't see a bright future for blockbuster before too long. Daughter is trying to find another job, but, hard to do when pregnant and in this economy.

So, I think we will try netflix. We did the video machines, but, we don't return reliably on time and iwth the video vending machines you get charged per day so it is too expensive for us. If we didn't exchange the blockbuster movies in store we'd be ok with them, but, we do and then they charge us and don't reverse the charge when we bring the movie in, and they do it right away now. Use to be they didn't charge off the movie until a month after, but, that has changed. Very unhappy with their new policies.

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 10:10 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Alright, I'm signing up for Netflix before I change my mind again. I'll let you know how I like it. Thanks for your help!

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

mrslilysolovely Posts : 2,130 Registered: 7/24/06
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 1:30 PM Go to message in response to: rubyred1

I am sooo glad to see you decided to go with netflix!

I have had THE most aggravating, rage inducing time when I was with blockbuster...they never charge you at the same day, so you never know when thye are going to hit you with the monthly charge. THEN they have random charges that you don't even know what they are for - it seems like they feel if they have your credit card info, they can just charge you for whatever, then hold your money in their account until you correct the situation - meanwhile they have earned whatever interest on your money- I think they are counting on the fact that some people won't even address the situation and then they get free money!

The last time they hiked the prices to a whopping 30-some bucks a month, I wrote them that netflix just got a new customer...

FF to now -
Xbox360 has made it possible for us to watch hundreds of movies at any time we want on our big screen TV - right now we have over 250 movies from every era (plus multiple seasons and episodes of TV shows - even very old ones like The Twilight Zone, The Bob Newhart Show) waiting to be watched - and we only pay $9.00 per month for one DVD in the mail at a time (I use this for new releases or old TV shows that are not available for instant watching - right now I am rhapsodizing over the Northern Exposure DVDs being sent twice a week to us). You can't even rent two movies at the BB store for less than that anymore!! And FORGET trying to rent more than two per month at the actual store - at three per week, you'd pay nearly $50 for a MONTH of movies! Along with the hassel of to and from the store, the lines, the whining children...phantom charges that bounce your checks...I've been through it all too many times with that damn store!

All we have to pay for this servies is the $9/per month and the $50/per year Xbox Gold membership to be online, which we would be paying anyway for DH to play games with his friends.
Compared to BB - that is a pittance in exchange for the instant gratification Netflix delivers!

MUSIC LOVERS!!!! - MUST SEE - Check out the instant play "Starz" list - in there is a show called 'Planet Rock Profiles" - this one is available for instant watching...and it has 91 different rock star/group interviews - sit down personal, in-depth play by play of how they made it in the business, their influences and accomplishments - truly some of the best interviews I have ever seen, and SUCH a diverse collection! - No host is asking questions and taking up time and re-directing the star's story - it's just them and the camera - LOVE IT!!!

Netflixer4life

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 1:51 PM Go to message in response to: rubyred1

I'm a Netflixer and have been for several years now. I've never encountered a single issue with them. They're super fast, they don't throttle (was that the term someone used?) and it's always a one day turnaround. I also like that I can log in anytime and instantly change my subscription.

I think you'll be happy you chose them.

Tobi & Brian - April 21, 2008

Photobucket

Sandals Grande Spa & Beach Resort, St. Lucia

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 2:33 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Karebear, when I used netflix, I totally experienced the "throttling". I would sometimes get new movies, return them and get a new one in about 3 days. Then I felt like I was doing it too fast b/c they would start taking 5 days to get a new one. Then next time it wouldbe 3 days. It was so weird, so I cancelled it.

I did like it when I had it but at the time I was living with a horrid roommate and was never home enough to enjoy my movies!

Its good for renting seasons of shows, b/c you can watch one disc leisurely and then get a new disc pretty soon after...if theyre not trying to screw you that is!

DH and I sometimes think about joining it again, since we're over our massive DVD collection. But we rarely ever agree on movies, so I dont know if it's worth it!

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

NJ4Life, DH and I have the same problem with movies. When we used to do 2 at a time, we set up two "profiles." (I forget what they're called, but you can create several different queues and assign various numbers of discs to each list - so if you had 5 discs and 2 queues, "your" queue could have 3 and "FH's" could have 2).I got one queue with all the movies I wanted to see and FH didn't. FH got the second queue and put all the movies he was excited about watching it that one. We assigned one disc to each queue, so there was a balance of movies I like and movies we both wanted to see. (This was also when we weren't living together and technically it was my netflix).

Now, we still have two queues, but just take turns pulling movies from each one since we only have one disc.

I think the TV series are what Netflix is best for. FH and I (even with Tivo) have trouble keeping up with some of the excellent but complicated shows (Damages, Lost, Sopranos) as they are airing, so we liked being able to fly through discs when we'd get in the mood.

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 8:01 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

I love my Netflix! What a good decision. Now I just have to wait for my next movie to come. I'm not very patient.

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine