Ceremony/Reception Site Help

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

LMM33 Posts : 3 Registered: 7/29/08
Ceremony/Reception Site Help
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 4:54 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm not really new to the site but after being engaged for over a year, I've decided it's time to get serious about planning this wedding!

I guess I'm not a typical bride. I went to one bridal show last year & got so overwhelmed, I just didn't do anything except swear never to go again. I am put off by the whole process & have no desire to interview 100's of people to get this thing put together. I need help finding a site in Southern California that is all inclusive - ceremony, reception, food, music photographer - everything in one place. I want to show up with my dress & a check & be done with the whole thing. Like Vegas but in the Los Angeles area.

Anyone have any ideas? Website advice? I can use all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance~

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Re: Ceremony/Reception Site Help
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 5:20 PM Go to message in response to: LMM33

If you have the money, I suggest you hire a wedding planner who can just take care of everything for you.

wedding widget

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 6:05 PM Go to message in response to: LMM33

Well, I got married at Inn of the Seventh Ray near LA, and while it doesn't offer a photographer or ceremony flowers, it's beautiful, includes the food and wedding cake, the day-of coordinator, and the DJ. Also, they do provide single-stem flowers for the tables so if you like that look (I did), the only flowers you have to worry about are the flowers you and your attendants will carry and the boutonnierres for the guys. You wouldn't have to worry about centerpieces. FYI, the food is wonderful.

The inn can provide referrals for anything/anyone else you might need. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any other vendor recommendations, too--I could refer you to our photographer and videographer if you like, and I loved our flower lady. Anyway, here's the inn's website:

www.innoftheseventhray.com

Our coordinator was Carole Grogan and she was awesome. Very mellow and calming and did everything right. Good luck!

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: WinterWonderlan...

Oh, trust me, if I had the money, I absolutely would have hired a wedding planner but that's just not an option. The way it's going, I'm afraid we'll end up in Vegas just because I can't get ito this whole planning thing!

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: LMM33

I wish I had the $$ for a planner too, it would make life TONS easier!! Is there anyone helping you at all? Your Mom, a friend? That could help some. I think if I was doing it all on my own, I'd completely throw in the towel!!

wedding widget

rqz7 Posts : 27 Registered: 12/2/07
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 8:43 PM Go to message in response to: LMM33

You might want to look for a planner anyway. Many have ala carte or hourly pricing, and they're very knowedgeable about locations and things. I've seen some that run $50 to $70 an hour, and it may only take an hour or two of their time to give you a list of locations to check out. I don't know how that would fit with your budget, but the time saved may be worth it.

rqz7 Posts : 27 Registered: 12/2/07
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 8:47 PM Go to message in response to: LMM33

Another place to look is local bridal magazines. Many have a list of locations and vendors with pictures, and some even list prices. If you do have to go to another bridal show (they are a good place to get discounts), check the bridal show website first. You can narrow down the vendors you want to talk to before hand, and some shows have a map so you can avoid the rest of the craziness.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 3:32 PM Go to message in response to: LMM33

The internet is your friend. Try "Here Comes the Guide" magazine or online site for So. California. Search online for Southern California Weddings or choose a particular city or county and search that way. Almost every wedding and catering venue can offer you a list of preferred vendors--that means, people they have worked with before and trust. There are entertainment bookers galore who can show you videos of different bands and djs at different price levels, so you can select the few that you actually want to interview or see in action. Sites like this one and The Knot list vendors by area. You can look at their portfolios online. In my area, there even is an entire strip mall that has nothing but wedding vendors (Mon Amie bridal salon in Costa Mesa is in this strip mall).

I know the process can be overwhelming, but again, bridal sites, books, and magazines have timelines and lists of chores (what you have to do and when you have to do it). These lists are not the Holy Bible--you don't have to have an extravaganza or follow every tradition. But, still, they help you to get a picture of the overall planning process and break the process down into reasonable steps.

I'm in So. Cal. and I'm glad to answer specific questions. Contact me through my website if you wish.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 7:20 PM Go to message in response to: rqz7

I have just started thinking this might be an option. I am going to start looking into a planner - even if only for a few hours to just get started & get focused. Not sure the price range but you are right, it may be worth it to get on the right track.

I do have help from my mom, sister and a friend and I actually have a pretty good feel for what I want. I just need to figure out how to get there without going broke or hurting someone in the process!

Edited by: LMM33 on Jan 4, 2009 7:20 PM

nadraider24 Posts : 1 Registered: 1/7/09
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: LMM33

Hi,

Well, i have a goodtip for you. I met a new photographer in Southern California the other day. She is from France and is trying to develop her business. She offered me a full service package for $999! She seamed very devoted and professional."A touch of French Romance photo". I think she has a web site but I don't know if we are allowed to give the url here.
About my dress, I found here on ebay! for 200, such a bargain! I love it.

ScoLa28 Posts : 1 Registered: 12/2/08
Posted: Jan 7, 2009 6:29 PM Go to message in response to: LMM33

I know how you feel! I plan events for a living so I am sitting here thinking this is what I do for work, why would I want to plan my own? It's stressful enough as it is!
We have a really small budget trying to plan our wedding for 10-15k for EVERYTHING (not including the honeymoon).
No you don't need a wedding planner to do everything. You just need a list and budget. One place that I saw which was very affordable was Tivoli Terrace down in Laguna Beach. Depending on the day of the week it's either $65 or $90 per person for passes appetizers, buffet, cake, all floral centerpieces, 2 coordinators the day of your event, and free flowing beer, wine and champagne throughout the reception. They are also running a special that if you book this month, you will get 20% off your entire bill. Check it out.
I'm still looking around other places and let you know what I come up with. Definitely look at herecomestheguide.com. It summarizes everything for you which helps with the research.

Good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine