Greek Cruise?

Online Users: 1,243 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2

Sharkgirllovesc... Posts : 39 Registered: 12/5/08
Greek Cruise?
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 4:02 AM

Ok so I posted this in the Honeymoon forum and NO ONE replied back. I'm going to post it in here because I've had better results.

Ok so I'm waiting for the ring but my bf told me to start booking things, which is fine by me, it gives him more time to save up for a ring anyways.

So my question is this, to sum it up in a nutshell, we are thinking of possibly a Greek cruise. The question is, can you leave the US on a cruse and go to Greece or do you HAVE to fly to Europe first? I'm new to this cruise thing and unsure, we haven't set our minds to anything so we are flexible.

Also, our wedding is August 7 and some cruises aren't necessarily going around at that time. If you know anything or find anything helpful please let me know!

Thanks!

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Re: Greek Cruise?
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: Sharkgirllovesc...

I went to Greece in May 2006 (absolutely beautiful place, btw). I went on a 10 day, all expenses paid trip with my college. 26 students and 2 professors. We had a tour Coordinator, Spiro. He was GREAT. We asked him about his job and he told us his next gig was a cruise ship that toured the Mediteranean. He was with going with a group that would stop in Greece as well as other countries. It sounded amazing.

I would talk to a travel agent on this one rather than trying to book it yourselves. My aunt and uncle are going on a cruise this spring with some friends, the travel agent told them they were one couple shy of qualifying for a Group Rate. So, the travel agent kept them in mind and any time a single couple came in looking for similar cruise options, she told them about my aunt and uncles group. If they "joined" the group, they ALL got discounts. They wouldn't have to eat together, their rooms might be near each other, but really, who cares, you're not SHARING a room. It was just because they all booked together. So, if you go to a travel agent you might stumble into something like that, the agent may be able to recommend something you may not have thought of, etc.

All I can say is you'll have a great time.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you have to fly to Europe and then get on the cruise. That was another thing that was nice about being part of a group, we had Spiro and he told us where to go to make all our connections (one day we left the main land and rode the ferry out to Santorini, something we could have never done on our own).

I also HIGHLY recommend doing a little research on each of the places you'll stop because they are so much more fascinating when you know the history. The only requirement for our free trip to Greece was to take a class one night a week on the history, myths, culture, food, etc. of Greece. It really made a difference when you knew exactly what you were looking at.

Always kiss me goodnight

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Greek Cruise?
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 7:27 PM Go to message in response to: Sharkgirllovesc...

Dear Sharkgirl,

Unless you could find some really unique cruise line that crosses the Atlantic, THEN cruises the Med, you would have to fly to Europe, first.

I have been to Europe a lot, but not to Greece and never on a cruise. Having said that, allow me to offer a suggestion. Fly to Europe and stay in the "gateway" city (Athens, Barcelona, etc) for a couple of days, then start the cruise. That will allow you to have a couple of days of R&R to get over jetlag, get acclimitized, etc, before getting on the boat.

You do not want to fly to Europe, then expect to get on the boat immediately. You'll be in hot water, so to speak, if your flight is cancelled or otherwise delayed. You need to allow yourself a few "buffer" days between arrival in Europe and the start of the cruise. Otherwise, you'll be in a position of having to pay for additional and costly travel to the cruise's next port of call. Give yourself at least 48 hours, maybe more, between scheduled arrival of your flight and the time you need to arrive at the boat.

As far as picking out the right cruise goes, I'd strongly recommend seeing a good travel agent who specializes in Mediterranean cruises. Different travel agents have different specialties. You need someone who knows the Med.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine