Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 25

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 10:20 AM

Hope everyone had a great Christmas, Chanukah, or December holiday of your choice! I'm back at work today, after taking a week and a half off, so I'm rested, energetic, alone in the office, and LOCKED OUT of the art collection area. Looks like they changed the code and the security people aren't around to give me the new one, so it's a wasted day. Oh well, I guess I'll sift through my email and clean my office!

Anyway, I was reading one of those 'This Year in Photos' things in the paper this morning...and then in my sifting through two weeks' worth of old emails, I read the yearly 'look at all we've accomplished this year. You should all be proud of yourselves,' emails from various bosses, so I thought I'd start a thread about reflections on 2008. If it turns out to be lame, you can ignore it, but it might be fun!

While I was looking through the '2008 photos' in the paper this morning, my overall impression was, 'Wow...with the exception of the presidential race, 2008 was a DEPRESSING year!' Personally, I didn't have a particularly bad year, but when I saw the photo-essay that my local paper had put together, I was a little overwhelmed by all the BAD things that happened this year. The first page was all election-related photos: a heroic image of Obama campaigning in a downpour, his family on election night, supporters celebrating, a great one of Hillary, McCain during his concession speech, the crowd during the DNC. Ok, that page was fine...but when I turned the page, I saw: that fantastic photo of Tim Russert's son standing next to his empty chair, protestors on Capitol Hill, wildfires, the polygamist mothers crying over their children, a throughly dejected-looking trader on a particularly bad day, Hurricane Ike, riots in Kenya, homeless Congolese children, that awful photo of a police officer extinguishing a burning man in S. Africa, rescue of citizens from that hotel in India, that heartbreaking photo of a women crying after her daughter died in the earthquake, cyclone victims, and then a few photos of the Olympics. My thought: WOW, I can't believe that all happened in one year...and I can think of a ton of bad things they DIDN'T cover.

What do you all think? Was 2008 a worse year than others in recent memory, or does it just SEEM like it was particularly bad? What other photos/news stories would you have included in a synopsis of the year?

Personally, I think I had a generally good year. As usual, it had its ups and downs, but I think the positive outweighed the negative. After talking with lots of friends and family members over the holidays, however, I realized that I'm one of few who think so. I'm amazed at the difference in attitudes that one year - or even six months, which was the last time I saw many of them - can bring in people. I know it's been a few tough months for everybody, but SERIOUSLY? Really? A few tough months is really enough to break so many people's spirits? Even around the holidays, when you're at least supposed to PRETEND to be jolly? I can't even get a FAKE smile out of some of you? WTF?

What do you all think about this? Are you thoroughly depressed at the state of the world and economy, or do you have hopes that things will get better soon? If you are optimistic, where do you find your optimism? Hopes for the new administration? A fundamental belief that life is good? Or do you believe that things will only stay bad for a given amount of time before getting better? How do you go about cheering up people around you who are pessimistic and dejected?

Personally, I'm generally pretty optimistic...because I see no point in being depressed about this stuff. It's just the way it is right now, and I can choose to react to it in one of two ways: being depressed and moping about it, or accepting it cheerfully. I generally enjoy myself more when I'm cheerful then when I'm moping, so I choose to be optimistic. Having a sense of humor helps, too. And I guess it's a combination of all of the above: I think these things run in cycles, which by definitation means that things will get better. I have hopes that the new administration will make some positive changes, but I also have faith that some incredible 'average' people will do great things. And the cynical part of me is laughing at all the depressed people, since I'm sure it will work to my advantage NOT to be one of them!

So anyway...thoughts? Opinions? Random changes of subject?

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Re: 2008
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 10:40 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

This year has been a pretty tough one on us, financially speaking. We had the wedding in there which sapped away any extra cash we had around and then the holidays right afterward we're back to pretty much square one. Absolutely no savings and all that good stuff. I'm not working primarily becuase of school, but now that I need a job and could work part time there's almost no chance of finding one to help us out.

But i'm still optomistic. I believe that my husband and I are working towards something better and I really believe it's the goals that we have that are keeping the optomism alive right now. In a couple of years I'll be able to work as a full time teacher making a pretty decent wage if we can just get through this whole college ordeal, which sometimes feels like it's day to day and not only paycheck to paycheck.

And the fact that I keep trying to remind myself of what we do have. I've had a time in my life where I had all the material possessions and drove the fancy new car but I wasnt' happy becuase I didn't feel loved and supported. My time now is the opposite. Material things have little meaning to me now becasue I have someone to spend time with. That doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to a time when I don't have to worry about paying for groceries AND I have the man I love. lol That'll be nice when that comes around. :)

For the world in general I don't think more bad things have happened than any previous year. I just think that fewer and fewer really good things get reported every year. Iraq has given us a year for withdrawl from what I hear, 2011, so that's something to be happy about. :)

IMG_7875.jpg picture by sarahandchris2008

10/26/08 

Posted: Dec 29, 2008 11:09 AM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Nala, I think you made a great point: that having long-term goals helps keep you from being too depressed over short-term troubles. I fully agree with that, being a person who CONSTANTLY sets long-term goals and is working towards something greater.

And to the pessimistic people: I have accomplished every single one of my long-term goals so far, so I have 100% faith in my ability to accomplish my 'in progress' and future long-term goals. Nala's right - that's definitely the reason for my optimism. I KNOW that I'm working towards something good and I KNOW that I can do it, because I've done it before. I think that gives me something bigger to focus on, so I don't worry about the day-to-day crap, even when it starts to add up.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the shoe-throwing photo was in there, too. I still giggle every time I see that...

DaisypathWedding Ticker

GUEST21 Posts : 812 Registered: 2/2/07
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 12:34 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I agree with Nala, we have had a very hard year, but it has been the best in my life so far. We got married this year, we became homeowners this year, and we just really love where we are and how are lives are. However, because we bought the condo and had the wedding, we are pinching pennies. We had bought the condo when my DH had an awesome job, but then they unexpectedly "laid him off" (they will never rehire him I'm sure), as the company was going downhill and he was unable to collect unemployment because he then made the decision to go back to school. So now, he works at a starbucks and a grocery store, and while I have a GREAT job, I work a ton and take a full load of courses at school. I am like Nala though, in that we definitely know that one day, we will be somewhere better. Once we both have our degrees and are both working full time (we are currently making it work with 3 part time jobs..) our lifestyle will improve. but there's nothing we would change about the decisions we have made, and the life that we live. And mostly, we are SO VERY blessed with our families--they have helped us and continue to help us with anything we need and not everyone is lucky enough to have that.

I think while 2008's economy has made it really really tough, it has been the best. My DH and I are very optimistic and therefore, it hasn't been able to get us "down." My family in general has also kept a great outlook on the future so that helps. I truly believe that this is just like any other cycle, what goes up must come down, but it WILL go back up again.. it just needs time. Hopefully, some lessons will be learned in the process :-)

September 13, 2008   :-) Just Married!! <3

"I give my heart, cause nothing can compare in this world to you."
-Avenged Sevenfold

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Worldly, I will agree 2008 was pretty sucky with the financial mess. The thing to keep in mind is that the only place it can go is UP from here. Yes it will take a while but it has no where else to go!

However, personally 2008 was pretty good. I got some awesome job opportunities and 2 promotions! We became homeowners and have settled nicely into monthly mortgage payments. I have a stable job, DH's job is pretty iffy most of the time, but it's getting better. I can now fill my tank on $16 which is awesome. We have our health as well as the health of our families. I found out I am going to be an Aunt this year, which is going to make 2009 even more awesome. And FINALLY, we are not saving up for anything in particular, i.e. a wedding, a house...etc. We are just saving for our emergency fund and in our 401k's slowly but surely. So its nice to have a little disposable income. It's not much but its the most I've had in about 5 years!

I truly do believe that 2009 is going to be a great year. And if anything it will definitely be interesting with the new presidency. And maybe I will get a new car in 2009. And maybe I will be pregnant at the end of 2009---thats a scary thought!!

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 8:43 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

What's scary the new car or possibly being pregnant? I would vote on the new car. I have done both and believe me the new car was the scary thing. Having a baby was a snap.

2008 started out pretty good. Then we ran into a rough patch with finances like most folks. My daughters lost their jobs so my finances are stretched a little more.

On the bright side, I can again fill my tank for $20 and oil is $1.98 a gallon so it won't kill me to heat my house this winter. My father is healthy, my husband is sober and my kids are all healthy and happy. We had two new babies this year and we are expecting another one in 2009 all in all things have been good. I have faith that 2009 will be a wonderful year. As long as we have a place to live and are all healthy it will be a great year.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

wedding ticker

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 10:14 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

2008 was a year to take stock.

One of my dear friends (the one who introduced my dh and me) lost her husband to cancer with only two weeks prior notice; my darling kitty cat died right before our wedding and after 15 years of being single (which came after 13 years of marriage) I remarried and for the first time ever am living in someone else's house-very wierd for me. And a bit harder than I thought it was going to be.

But my momma is still kickin', my kids are well (although one is unemployed and the other in college- and both living off me at the moment), and it's likely I'll lose about 30% of my income in a few months unless something radical happens-so financially I'm shaking in my boots a bit. Can't sell my house, so I'm toughing it out, and pinching penneys.

But I figure whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

Maggie and Tom-8-31-08

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Yup, the economy sucks, the higher cost of food & entertainment has increased, the price of gas has increased. We are pinching pennies even more than we ever have, we are saving more for our retirement and a bigger house.....However our jobs are strong, salary could always be more, I work overtime everyweek for extra money, dh doesn't mind & he understands. We are growing as a couple, understanding eachother at different levels....

So this year I learned so much about the ones that I love, and I learned more about me as a person. I've lost 2 very very special people this year. The first was my best friends mother, she passed away in April unexpectidely of a brain anuyersim (?sp). The 2nd was my FIL, he fell in the parking lot and he too had an anuyersim (?sp). Also this year in August my dad had triple bypass surgery unexpectidely and while they were doing testing before the surgery it was determined that he had a mild heart attack the night before he went into the hospital, and also during the bypass surgery he was diagnosised with lymphnoid cancer!

So my best friend is doing fantastic considering that she lost her dad 10 years ago and the loss of her mom this year. My dh is doing fantastic as well, considering that all his family is in Canada, and he is here in NY with me & my family. My dad...what can I say he's one hard headed man & is looking fantastic! He is going for cardiac rehab, and the oncologist is treating him with oral chemo meds for the time being. Also this year my parents celebrated the 50th wedding anniversary.

I'm looking forward to 2009....

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 2:21 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Oh the new car thing is EXCITING since I havent had a new car in going on 6 yrs! The thought of possibly being pregnant in 2009 FREAKS me the hell out. I suppose though, 5 LONG years of car payments is probably worse......

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

Hehehe...I'd be far less afraid of the car payments than of the possibility of a baby. That's probably why I'm NOT planning to get pregnant in 2009. Car payments - I can handle that. I know what to expect. No big deal. The succession of pregnancy, baby, child, teenager, etc...that's uncharted territory! :)

DaisypathWedding Ticker

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

absolutely. A new car is exciting until about the 2nd or 3rd car payment. But you do what you have to.

Possibly being pregnant in 2009 scares the hell outta me too. I have no idea why. I'll be 28 in March and sometimes I do feel like it's about time we start trying sometime soon. I REALLY don't want to be 30 having (or being pregnant with) my first child. Somedays, I really want a baby and I don't want to be "too old" before we start and other days I think about how crazy the dog drives me and I wonder if we are really ready!

From a personal standpoint, 2008 has been an awesome year. DH got his masters degree, we got married, he started his career, and he bought his very first brand new car-- it was very well needed and deserved. We are currently in the market for our very first house (hopefully by June) and i just feel like 2009 is going to be off the charts for us. We really haven't seen any hard times financially. It's a little hard because I always want to buy new clothes or accessories, but we are scraping every extra penny to get our credit card debt paid off by March. So there is NO "fun money" for either of us, but the possibility of being in a house in 6 months is my motivation. I just keep in mind that all of my clothes are in good condition and all money needs to go to household & credit bills ONLY

On the view of the world: 2008 was a horrible year financially and the war is highly depressing (and was stupid to begin with) but there were some bright spots. Gas here is now $1.36/ gallon, Obama is the president elect, Bush is packing his crap, and of course, thanks for mentioning the Bush/shoe incident, i've watched it a million times and it's still hilarious.

Words of advice: keep hope alive (not trying to be funny) and just know that easier and better times are on the way!

Poster Formerly Known as beauti381

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

Happily Married since June 21, 2008

Happy Together since June 20, 1994

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 3:28 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

Haha - that's funny, MrsWilliams. I just turned 28 as well and I have the opposite thoughts. I REALLY don't want to have my first child BEFORE 30. If it happens by accident, I'm sure I'll get excited pretty quickly, but it's not something I have planned. I don't know why - my friends are convinced that I have no biological clock. Either that or it decided it didn't want to be a clock anymore and is just sitting there daydreaming. It's not that I want to do stuff myself that I don't think I could do with a baby...it's just seems early to start a family to me. But then, I know very few people who have had kids in their 20s, so that may have something to do with it. About four years from now sounds good to me.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: MrsWilliams2008

MrsWilliams, we're the same age! I'll be 28 in May and I feel the same way you do. Some days, I'm like "screw it, lets just start a family" and the next moment its pure panic: What about my job? What about my nights out with my friends? What about MY life? So then I think, "well I guess THATS a sign right there!!"

I know DH wants to start thinking about it in about 6 months to a year. And in my mind its "re-evaluating" our situation. But for 2009, we're going to curb our spending, start putting even more towards our emergency/future-family fund and 401k's and then I guess we will see where we stand.

For now, if I found out I am pregnant tomorrow, I'd be devistated.....I feel like I'd miss out on so much!

UUUGGGHHHH....being a woman SUUUUUUCKKKKSSS!!!!

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 9:40 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I had my first baby at 27, and I thought I'd waited forever. lol. But I wanted to do it right, and be ready. I wish I'd waited a couple of more years. Had some more fun. But as it was both of mine were born before I turned 31, and now I'm having a blast with them (they are adults), and my life. Whatever happens, happens. Good and difficulties come from everything.

But I agree- the car is alot easier. And there is a reason a pregnancy takes nine months. It takes that long to get used to the idea.

Good luck to all of you!

Maggie and Tom-8-31-08

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Dec 31, 2008 12:18 AM Go to message in response to: luvathena

I'd have to disagree. I think if I found out if I was pregnant today, I'd probably be excited and all "are you serious??"

I do think that's weird when I think about my feelings on the alternative: actually PLANNING a baby.

Poster Formerly Known as beauti381

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

Happily Married since June 21, 2008

Happy Together since June 20, 1994

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine