Patiently (sort of) waiting...

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Patiently (sort of) waiting...
Posted: Nov 17, 2008 4:09 PM

Hi ladies-
So, I've been lurking around these boards for awhile, and finally decided to post something : )

My boyfriend and I have been together just over a year, but were friends for a few years before that. He is absolutely the love of my life, and we have already talked ALOT about engagement rings, getting married, starting a family, where we want to get married, etc, etc....but, we are not actually engaged.

He has told me a few times that I am going to be totally surprised when he proposes, which is good, but waiting is so hard! Every time we go on a trip, or there's a special occasion (like my birthday last week) I keep thinking he's gonna do it, but nothing yet. Sigh.

I don't want to be impatient, 'cause I know that it's coming, but seriously, it could be tomorrow or 6 months from now.....the anticipation is just getting to me, because I can't wait to get engaged and start the wedding planning with the man of my dreams! : )

Anyway, I know that alot of you girls are in the same boat, and I just wanted to vent, haha.

: )

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Re: Patiently (sort of) waiting...
Posted: Nov 17, 2008 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

It's going to drive you bonkers if you keep anticipating when will the big question arise! Just relax, keep hanging out with your friends, keep working, going to school,or whatever it is that you.

When the time is right, he will ask you & it will blow your mind away!

Starz1234 Posts : 2 Registered: 11/24/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 4:05 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

I'm in your boat. And it's a frustrating boat to be in sometimes. BUT I think the important thing to remember is that you're lucky enough to be with someone you want to marry. Be grateful you have fuond the love of your life and know it will eventually happen. Especially if you talk about it as much as you say you do.

Usually, as soon as I STOP focuing on something I really want, it will all fall into place. I am trying to do that now!

jmd22 wrote:
Hi ladies- So, I've been lurking around these boards for awhile, and finally decided to post something : ) My boyfriend and I have been together just over a year, but were friends for a few years before that. He is absolutely the love of my life, and we have already talked ALOT about engagement rings, getting married, starting a family, where we want to get married, etc, etc....but, we are not actually engaged. He has told me a few times that I am going to be totally surprised when he proposes, which is good, but waiting is so hard! Every time we go on a trip, or there's a special occasion (like my birthday last week) I keep thinking he's gonna do it, but nothing yet. Sigh. I don't want to be impatient, 'cause I know that it's coming, but seriously, it could be tomorrow or 6 months from now.....the anticipation is just getting to me, because I can't wait to get engaged and start the wedding planning with the man of my dreams! : ) Anyway, I know that alot of you girls are in the same boat, and I just wanted to vent, haha. : )
boa

Franko Posts : 128 Registered: 11/15/08
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 1:56 AM Go to message in response to: Starz1234

that is not nice from him to keep you waiting like that, and constantly obsess yourself because of engagement, but you must feel in your heart he is the right guy for you

I bought our rings @

foreverfarms Posts : 2 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 3:43 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

I know how you feel. I had a birthday last week and Christmas is coming and then our 1 yr anniversary of dating. We have talked about it; gone through the "100 Hard Questions" before you get married; discussed the technicalities since I'm Catholic and he's not; he's teased me that I'm impatient. Last week, he really set me up by leaving the empty ring box where I would find it by accident (I always share his socks when I'm at his place and wearing mud boots and there it was). He keeps dropping hints and I know that when the time is right for him, he will pop the question. It is definitely hard to keep from pressuring him to hurry up. I just remind myself to enjoy every single moment. Who knows if it's the very next moment that might be "the one." Meanwhile, I've been looking at dresses and rings while he's not around to satisfy my need to plan...lol.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 4:01 PM Go to message in response to: foreverfarms

All the waiting is frustrating, but it's also really exciting!! I have a feeling that the proposal is coming soon....the other day, my guy dropped a comment about how he was talking to his mom about his parent's travel plans for next year, and he told her that she shouldn't totally book her schedule since "we'll probably be getting married in 2009..." Haha, ok...? If he wants to get married next year, he'd better pop the question soon! Agghh....so exciting! : )

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 5:09 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

Sounds like it's soon. Just keep being happy and let him know you're anxious about it.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket
Our Wedding Website 

My mom: "Xanax does make you sleepy. it has a sedative effect. sometimes I will take a half and it really eases tension and keeps me from being less of raving bitch."

LizBeatlesGirl Posts : 9 Registered: 12/8/08
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 6:18 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

the waiting and anticipation will be all worth it!

foreverfarms Posts : 2 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 5:33 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

Oh...it was worth it. Once I gave up thinking about it and just resigned that it would not be for Christmas; he popped the question. A few days before Christmas we were going out dancing (I didn't realize he was taking me to the first place we met) and before we left the house he surprised me with the ring and the proposal. I hope your exciting wait ends just as romantically.

luckymebride Posts : 125 Registered: 12/7/08
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 8:52 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

Hi jmd22, like you, I was with my now FH for a yr before he popped the question. Yeah, when you and you man both know that you guys finally found true love and he's dropping hints here and there but then months later, stills nothing....can be the most frustrated thing ever! hehe....but I have a feeling is coming soon otherwise he wouldn't be keep dropping hints, pls let us know when it happens! :)

princessbride2010 Posts : 58 Registered: 10/20/08
Posted: Dec 25, 2008 9:17 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

Hey there! I know 110% where you're coming from! I waited five years for my engagement ring! The moment you stop obsessing and overanalyzing the situation is when it will happen! I kept telling him (and myself) that I didn't want to be surprised...but the proposal was so perfect that I'm glad I just relaxed and let him do his thing! I'm sure it's coming, especially since you've already talked about it and it doesn't seem like he's shy about the subject...

Newly engaged 10-18-08

chelcp Posts : 3 Registered: 12/23/08
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 4:21 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

I so know how you feel as well...even though my boyfriend said he isn't proposing until he graduates from school (Feb 2010) it can be very difficult to wait. But look on the bright side, my brother dated his girlfriend for EIGHT years before proposing to her...and now they are going to be engaged for two more years before actually getting married...It's hard to think I am going to be engaged by the time my brother gets married...I know that doesn't help the anticipation of the ring, but I would rather wait a year or two for a ring and a wedding than 10 years to get married (thats like a decade) Well, Valentine's day is quickly approaching...hang in there! Oh, and it really does help to look at dresses and various things you would like in your wedding until you can plan it for real! If you go to davids bridal website you can create your wedding party (it's fun to look through the dresses and put the different colors together) Good luck, hope you get it soon!

Posted: Dec 29, 2008 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

Thanks for all the replies girls! Still waiting : ) It didn't help that I got text messages from at least 5 different friends on Christmas Day asking if I got a ring for Christmas, haha. I have a feeling that a few of my girlfriends know when it's happening, so they are probably trying to throw me off. I know it's coming soon, but the waiting is so hard. I just can't wait to marry this man!! : )

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine