Too many bridesmaids?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

Allison11201 Posts : 5 Registered: 12/4/08
Too many bridesmaids?
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 4:19 PM

I want to have 12 bridesmaids.... anyone have any experience with a large bridal party? Do you think 12 will be too much?

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Re: Too many bridesmaids?
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: Allison11201

12 is huge! But if that is what you want then do it! I have 7 girls. My biggest issue is finding time when everyone is available to go shopping for the bridesmaid dresses. But if you want 12, then have 12. It is your wedding day.

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 9:29 PM Go to message in response to: Allison11201

Dear Allison,

If you think you can wrangle twelve women's dresses, hair, manicures, shoes and jewelry, then I take my hat off to you. Go for it.

FutureMrsMair Posts : 2 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 10:24 PM Go to message in response to: Allison11201

I have 8 bridesmaids, and I thought that was way too many. Its your wedding day, but remember having 12 maids, means 12 different body types and 12 attendants gifts and 12 boquettes, and 12 rehearsal dinners. Im assuming you will also have 12 groomsmen, so double the flowers, and double the presents and double the flower budget for the guys, also you figure these people also have to bring dates to your rehearsal dinner. So looks like you'll have 48 people to pay for on rehearsal nite, including the bm, gm and their dates. Just something to consider.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 8, 2008 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: Allison11201

I would consider your weddign venue and make sure they all can fit there - but if it's what you want then do it. It seems like a lot to me, but it's not MY wedding.

Do it right - do it how you want.

EDIT - BTW if you are having this many BM's I really would consider having them in different dresses in your color. That way they can all be comfy and look good - especially with that large number. I had three and they were all in different dresses - members of my family didn't even realize they were in different dresses until they were looking at the pics at Thanksgiving AND I pointed it out.

But if one had looked out of place in a bad dress for them - they would have seen that in a heart beat.

Edited by: PharmToxGirl on Dec 8, 2008 10:52 PM

MrsRtobe Posts : 2 Registered: 12/8/08
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 12:08 PM Go to message in response to: Allison11201

I have 10 BMs and everytime I tell anyone that they look at me like I have two heads. My cousins each had 12 BMs and one had 11 so I guess I didn't think it was that bad plus in my situation I have two sisters, he has two sisters, then I had two roommates, two best friends from college, two best friends from high school. Every situation is different so do what you want but just know that yes, it gets a bit pricey with the flowers and gifts for each attendee, etc but if you want them all in it, it's worth it.
RR2

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 12:32 PM Go to message in response to: MrsRtobe

To me, whether this is appropriate depends on the size of your wedding. if you're having 75 people at your wedding, and 25 of them are in the wedding party, that seems like a lot to me. If you're having 250 people there, then 25 probably isn't so big. I'm having 200 guests and we're having 4 bridesmaids and 4 groomsmen. I know it's on the smaller side, but FH and I really didn't want anyone standing up there with us who we weren't SURE would still be in our lives 20 or 30 years from now.

The cost thing is another big issue to consider. For example, my bridesmaids bouquets are $75 and I'm spending $100 on each attendant for their gifts. So at $175 each, this total is $700 for all my bridesmaids. For 10 bridesmaids, it would be $1700. Factor that in with the costs of all their meals, the rehearsal dinner, and their dates, and you're talking about a big difference!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Dec 9, 2008 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: Allison11201

I don't think it's too many. Go for it!

12 bridesmaids, oh my! by lilchessa.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket
Our Wedding Website 

FutureSaunders Posts : 95 Registered: 9/18/08
Posted: Dec 24, 2008 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: Allison11201

WOW, 12! I am having 9 and I thought that was too many. But like everyone is saying, girl it is your day and like Burger King "Have it your way", lol. The only thing you have to worry about, as many others have said, is coordinating to get everyone together to do the things you have to do. But it is not impossible! I am actually have a destination wedding and someone mentioned that the size of your wedding coordinating with the wedding party, which I totally agree with. So I am actually thinking about cutting my bridesmaids down to 2, which is a drastic change. But if 25 people attend I dont need 9 bridesmaids/groomsmen up front. I think that is way to much. My problem will be telling the other 7 girls, I dont need them!

Be Blessed!

GUEST21 Posts : 812 Registered: 2/2/07
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 11:34 AM Go to message in response to: FutureSaunders

I had a bridal party of nine. Just as long as you know that cost WILL go up, a LOT (bridal party gifts, RD, and flowers), then it's absolutely fine and FUN! I wouldn't have had it any other way--i come from a family of 56-60 first cousins and I am one of 5 kids. A small bridal party was out of the question. And pictures--AWESOME!

What i did to keep my sanity, was pick the dresses with 2 bridesmaids, let everyone do their own hair, makeup etc. and bought them their accessories. I had ZERO headaches with my nine girls.

{color:#669966}September 13, 2008 :-) Just Married!! <3

{color:#336633}"I give my heart, cause nothing can compare in this world to you."
-Avenged Sevenfold

Edited by: YoungMrsS on Dec 26, 2008 11:35 AM

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: Allison11201

I must commend you for a large party! Like AOTB said, if you can round 'em all up, you go girl!!

preview image

B2B999 Posts : 700 Registered: 12/7/07
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 7:04 PM Go to message in response to: Allison11201

I have been in large BP's (largest being 9 BMs, 2 MOHs) and small BP's (MOH - no BMs) personally I thought the big BP was too large but that was partly because the members of the party were spread out and so one BM (me) ended up helping the bride with EVERYTHING for the wedding (which was great and I loved doing it) while the other BMs and the 2 MOHs got annoyed that they weren't included in a lot of stuff, but the bride simply did not want to have to wrangle 11 women into going wedding dress shopping, BM dress shopping was enough of a nightmare.

If you want to have 11 women in your BP, I say go for it, but I would pick one or two and have them available. I definitely agree with giving the women a choice of different dress styles since finding one dress to look half-way decent on 11 different women would be impossible.

In terms of that large BP that I was in, a lot of the women were "add-ons" people who she was friends with as a group, "I'm still really good friends with Lisa, but in high school Lisa, Jane, Sarah, and I were a group so if I ask Lisa I need to ask Jane & Sarah as well." This particular bride had three such groups of friends, if she had just chosen those women who I know she really wanted, without feeling like she had to have the others as well her BP would have been 4 people, and that would have been much more manageable!
When is my wedding

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine