"That" Ring. Help Please

Online Users: 1,265 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 20

marty08 Posts : 1,110 Registered: 7/1/07
Re: "That" Ring. Help Please
Posted: Dec 22, 2008 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: cincyjeff84

I agree too...

Can you show us a picture of the ring??? I bet someone on here can find one like it!!

Life's not all beer and skittles, mate!

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Dec 22, 2008 2:47 PM Go to message in response to: marty08

No offense, but if you buy the particular ring at the particular store, you are going to get cheated. I have to be honest. A co-worker of mine's engagement ring came from there. Her husband spent $20,000 on it. When she went to have it appraised for insurance purposes, it was valued at $12,000 - so he essentially paid $8,000 dollars for a pretty box. And I swear to you that it is a true story.

I would have her go on the website of the store and pick out the style of ring she likes best. You can print the picture and take it to a jeweler. I am sure you can find someone who will make a gorgeous ring in the same style for a lot less money. You will also get better quality for the price.

Your future wife sounds extremely lucky to have a boyfriend so concerned with making her happy. However, you should sit down and talk to her. Explain that while you would love to give her the dream ring, it isn't possible for you. If she deserves a good man like you, she will understand.

Don't make me go Brooklyn on you. I have brass knuckles and I know how to use them.

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Dec 22, 2008 5:06 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

AMEN to that Bride2008 ! by the way your profile pic matches the wing I have tattooed on my back.

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 8:53 AM Go to message in response to: nanette927

We are all assuming Tiffany's, and I totally agree with the PPs. Tiffany's has great marketing suggesting that it is THE place to get an engagement ring. And there's a sort of sense of pride that comes from owning a ring from there. (I do not fyi, ha ha). But don't get caught up in the hype. Their stuff is beautiful, but very over priced. Since I'm assuming your girlfriend is aware of your financial situation, I don't even think you need to explain to her that you can't afford a $10,000+ ring. I would get her something in the style she likes, then say "I know you love Tiffany's, and I'd love to upgrade this for you in the future". She may just say she loves it as is. I joked with my Fiance yesterday coincidentally, about him upgrading me to a Tiffany ring. On our ten year anniversary. $1,000 for every year, ha ha. Good luck!

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: SteffMay2009

Well, it could also be Cartier, which is every bit as expensive if not more!

To OP (are you coming back?)

I knew I was getting an engagement ring for Christmas (this was in 2005). I'd window shopped with my then-bf, now DH, and showed him what I liked in the store windows. We're talking typical mall stores here, Kay's, etc. Well, I found out before Christmas that he bought my present on overstock.com! I'd never have said anything, because it's not the ring that matters, but I'll admit I was a little worried.

I had no reason to be, the ring is beautiful. Far nicer that what he could have afforded at an actual store, and a very high quality diamond. I get compliments on it all the time!

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

Ah yes, Cartier! Blast you Jay Z for telling me to shop there!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine