Northeast storm gals

Online Users: 1,326 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

Mrslinnben Posts : 2,285 Registered: 6/4/07
Northeast storm gals
Posted: Dec 14, 2008 9:57 AM

We have a severe ice storm on Thursday night here in Upstate NY and all over New England, I know that people are still without power. My parents lost their power but it was restored by Friday night. My BF lost her power too, and it's still out, hopefully it will be restored today. National Grid is saying that power should be restored in our area by Wednesday at the latest.

I know New England was hit hard with the storm, so I'm sending warm vibes to them.

We have a birch tree in our back yard that is wilted our the width of our back yard and a part haning over our fence.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: Northeast storm gals
Posted: Dec 14, 2008 11:13 AM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

THanks Linny. Im in Jersey so we literally got nothing at all except for some rain - but ALL of my relatives ,parents,friend etc are in Mass and they got hit hard. Its funny - apparently my parents lucked out for some reason and never lost their power but EVERYONE around them has no heat, power, etc still, so last night and the night before they were pretty much running a hotel inside their not so large house lol. My brother and his very pregnant wife are there (their basement flooded), and three married couples/friends. And others are stopping by to take showers etc ... my dad answered the phone yesterday "Groton Hotel may I be of assistance?" They have people in sleeping bags on the floor .... too funny.

My cousin lives in Townsend Mass where they still dont have power and last year during a similar storm their car was parked in the driveway and a tree smashed right onto it causing all kinds of damage. Well they JUST got it fixed a few months ago and wouldnt you know it another tree fell on the SAME car in the same spot again. They had also just put in a jacuzzi on their front porch and its a block of ice with cracked sides due to another fallen tree.

But everyones okay.:) But my sister in laws an hour away from her hospital and about to pop out that baby anyday, so they really need to get back home .... but still no power at thier house.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

WATCH OUT "Bleight-ers".TEAM KICK-ASS (LittleRoo,Cyclist,MrsFord,OldAmy and Kelley) are going to KICK. YOUR. ASS!!!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Edited by: kelleyiskelley on Dec 14, 2008 11:13 AM

Posted: Dec 14, 2008 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I had heard that Mass got hit pretty hard. I was talking to my BF who has been without heat since Friday and she said Lin I can't stay here anymore, I don't know what I'm going to do. So I told her that she & her cat could spend the night with me, if her heat didn't come back on. She spent 2 frickin' nights in her apt with her cat. Dumb silly girl.

So today I brought her over some hot water (for tea & cocca) and ice for her frozen foods (she had about $100 worth of food in her freezer). She has had her frozen food in her car since Friday afternoon, but it was just starting to defrost....I think it was around 2pm that her power was restored. So she got the spaces heaters going while waiting for her regular heat to come on.

Kelley, that is so funny about everyone hunkering down at your parents...sounds like a good time! and oh the story about the car, that was hysterical....Your sis in law has gotta get closer to the hospital....anyday now...auntie!

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Dec 14, 2008 7:57 PM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

Yes NE ladies, stay warm and safe!!

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Dec 14, 2008 11:24 PM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

Yeah, our power was out friday from about 5:20 AM until 1:30 PM. We were actually just leaving to head south and scout out a hotel when the power came back on. Not bad at all though, all things considered. We live very close to a mall, so I think they tried to get to our area first... I consider us very LUCKY, with all the problems so many others are having. Virtually no damage around here, just some tree branches down in spots.

I teach up in Fitchburg though, and got a call from the superintendent yesterday afternoon cancelling school for Monday and Tuesday!! They've set up shelters in some of the schools, and I think most people up there are still without power/heat. While I certainly won't complain about the days off, I am really concerned about my students and their families. I haven't been up there yet, but I know Rte. 2 was completely shut down at some point. I'm going to drive up there tomorrow to get my check and see if there's anything I can do to help out.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 8:50 AM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

HLY: You teach in Fitchburg? How cool. I didnt realize you were so close to me (well, to where I grew up and where my parents still live.) I did tons of theatre and musicals in that area as a kid and my cousins and friends all live in Fitchburg/Leominster. My parents are in Groton MA , my brother lives in Gardner, and my dad drives a private bus for special needs kids in Shirley. All the schools in that area have been closed since the storm so yeah - they are pretty much just hunkered down at the house running a hotel for all their nearby friends who still have no power!

Linn I talked to my mom last night and two couples are STILL sleeping there , still no power , and my brother got hold of a neighbors generator so him and his wife went home yesterday finally so they are now close to their hospital in case she pops.

If anyone has any pictures of the ice storm, the icicle covered trees etc etc, please post them. you cant deny how pretty it is:)

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

WATCH OUT "Bleight-ers".TEAM KICK-ASS (LittleRoo,Cyclist,MrsFord,OldAmy and Kelley) are going to KICK. YOUR. ASS!!!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

HillyBride92008 Posts : 207 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Dec 15, 2008 10:46 AM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

Thanks for the warm wishes Lin and other ladies!

DH and I got lucky here in New Hampshire on the power, we only lost it for about a minute. I was watching the weather channel and they said NH was the hardest hit, over 300,000 people without power. My IL's lost power from 4am Friday until 9am Saturday. My aunt and uncle still do not have power! I work in the next town over and I have co-workers that won't have power for up to 1 week!!!! Its really bad here!!! Trees and phone lines down. Not to mention car accidents (my DH's included!).
And we're supposed to get more snow/slushy rain!! Ick....welcome to winter!!!!

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas TimeLaughing

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Dec 17, 2008 2:30 PM Go to message in response to: Mrslinnben

Hello Girls.

What a nightmare! We were without power for FOUR days! No cable, internet, running water or hot food. We have a generator, so that gave us a little power. I never even knew what a generator was until I moved here! He's also got a nice well which kept us with clean drinking water.

I hope you all have your power back by now. Thank God ours has been restored! I will never take little things like running water or hot showers for granted again!

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Dec 17, 2008 11:04 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley--

Small world! I've actually only lived here for a year and a half; moved right after the wedding in June of '07. I'm from Ohio originally. But I know where most of those places are that you listed!! LOL.

I got a call Tuesday saying that they were cancelling school for the rest of the week! And I talked to one of my private students who lives close to Fitchburg. She said all the main roads were closed up until today because there were so many trees down. She doesn't have full power at her house yet... lots of people up there don't. I guess Worcester is a mess too. I feel very lucky that I live far enough south/east that we got hardly anything, but awful for my coworkers, students, and their families who are stuck without heat and electricity, especially so close to the holidays.

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 10:19 AM Go to message in response to: HLYflute

I been reading & hearing about hard hit New England with the storm. But just hearing stories from cyber friends makes it more personal!

I've got a few pcitures at home that I will post. Glad it hear everyone is hanging in there. We are expected another snow storm this weekend....

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine