Barn Venue

Online Users: 1,246 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 12

chicochik Posts : 236 Registered: 10/16/08
Barn Venue
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 12:57 AM

Do you think that this could be decorated into a country chic/elegant country ( not country hoedown)?
I am from a smallish city with a small variety of venues. There are the usual halls and hotels. The halls area bit plain and the hotels are out of our budget. Our budget is about $7000. This venue has 180 person capacity and we will be inviting about 150. Here are the financial aspects of it:

$450 + GST to rent for the day (GST=5%)
Corkage
(Glasses, Ice, Fountain Mix, No Clamato)Per Person$3.00 + GST
Bartender/Custodian
over 70 ppl -two bartenders x$ 15.00/hr + GST
Grand total:1134

It is nice because it is on a golf course so there is an option to have an outdoor ceremony with the reception in the barn. Many nice photo opportunites. Now for the good part, pictures!
The first is it decorated for a wedding, I'm not fond of the eastery colors but the idea of plastic tableclothes across the ceiling is cool.

Please share any ideas for decorations, anything to make this wedding unique and classy, anything to cut costs!!!

Edited by: chicochik on Dec 10, 2008 1:36 AM

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Barn Venue
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: chicochik

The venue looks terrific! I have lots of photos of barn weddings and decor. Just contact me through my website and I'll send them right out to you.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

LisaSummerBride2B Posts : 126 Registered: 8/10/08
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: chicochik

I don't have any suggestions off the bat but I did want to comment on how gorgeous your venue looks!! There's so much potential to make it chic and elegant but keep it country!!

-Lisa-
Deployment survivor!

wedding websites

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 3:04 PM Go to message in response to: chicochik

Hey chicochik. I agree with you on the colours. With the red wall, dark ceiling and medium coloured wood floor I would go with light colours, probably more natural colours - cream, gold, light brown, bronzes. You could do the same drape effect but in a nice cream colour. You could also tie the red in by using red accents on the tables - linens, napkins, candles and/or flowers. Hope this helps.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 6:24 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Thanks for the comments!
The thing about red is that I'm not very fond of it as a wedding color, but have to compliments it. I think that dark borwn, light brown and apple green would look great.
Any comments on the price?

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: chicochik

$450 + GST to rent for the day (GST=5%)
Corkage
(Glasses, Ice, Fountain Mix, No Clamato)Per Person$3.00 + GST
Bartender/Custodian
over 70 ppl -two bartenders x$ 15.00/hr + GST
Grand total:1134

The venue price looks really good and appropriate for the budget. I see the corkage and bartender fee, but not a bar charge so I am guessing you can bring your own liquor? What are you planning to do for food? Not trying to be nosy, but trying a get an idea of the all round budget.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 7:02 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Yes you can buy your own booze which is nice. In saskatchewan, Canada open bars are unheard of. Cash bars are all people do. So our bar would be a toonie bar which would recover the costs of alcohol. So alcohol would in a sense be free. Food, thats the fun part. It is not a big deal to be and I am always trying to be unique so we will be having an evening ceremony and reception. We will be serving an assortments of bite size desserts and wedding cake. Then the liquor license states that we have to serve real food, so we will be haivng a midnight lunch. I'm thinking build your own sub becuase WE LOVE SUBS!!!! SO food wont be a huge part of our budget.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 7:12 PM Go to message in response to: chicochik

Chicochik a fellow Canadian! I didn't notice before. I am originally from Vancouver, but now live in South Carolina because I married an American. With the venue cost, ability to bring in your own liquor and a subsandwich bar I'd say your budget is looking good and you'll be able to rent the snow remover! haha just kidding. Had to get that in there. Seriously the budget looks really good. I like the sub idea. If it was me I'd add some grilled mushrooms and peppers to it, but thats because I like them better than lettuce and tomato.

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 7:27 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Oh there will be peppers, just raw though because it cuts costs down. The nice thing about haveing a midnight lunch is that not everyone is still there or hungry. It will be just like mr sub with all the differnet kinds of toppings. Everyone here does midnight lunches with buns, meats, cheese and pickles. This just takes it up a notch.

Sparkles Posts : 257 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 11:14 PM Go to message in response to: chicochik

I think any subdued colors would look really nice. Coral, sage green, apple green, dusty blue, lilac, bown, tan, ivory, and light pink would all look really nice. I would try to downplay the red wall by making it the back of the venue or at least one of the ends. It might even look better covered with a cheap material, like burlap. It would actually blend in really well, and then your colors would shine through. A barn wedding would be kind of fun and low-key, but where I come from (Wyoming), barns are for animals, and it's not a "special" place to have a wedding. People would not be impressed. :)

Posted: Dec 10, 2008 11:35 PM Go to message in response to: Sparkles

I think that covering with fabric, even burlap may get expensive but perhaps it can be played down. Haha here barns are for animals too, I'm sure some people won't be impressed, but I will be! I can't please everyone. I really love all of your color choices, image though all of them together. That would be a gong show!!

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 8:38 PM Go to message in response to: chicochik

I have a question about the barn. My barn is wierd because the tables are attatched to the wall on one end, so I don't know what to do about table clothes. Perhaps make my own simple ones that are like an oversize runner? I wonder what the cost of that would be? Or maybe just use the rolls of plastic table clothes? I don't really like the look of those though. What does everyone else think.
P.S- i currently am not a sewer, so I would have to learn or use fabric that doesn't fray.

LissaNicole Posts : 39 Registered: 7/10/08
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 8:52 PM Go to message in response to: chicochik

Maybe you could use regular ones but cut the end off that's attatched to the wall? Or couldn't you just use the rectangular (that's what it looks like in the pictures) table cloths and let it hang off farther on the other end. I hope that makes at least a little sense lol

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it." -Braveheart 
"Some people live their whole life and never fall in love.  I lived mine and I fell in love." -Here On Earth 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine