Silk Flowers

Online Users: 1,334 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

Soon2baMrs Posts : 45 Registered: 8/29/07
Silk Flowers
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 8:01 PM

Hey Ladies! I have been looking into preparing my own centerpieces and bouquets. Anyway, i was reading that in some cases to save money, some brides may also want to use Silk Flowers for their centerpieces. I am having really simple centerpieces, square glass vase, red roses... My question is have you seen this done? and would it be tacky to use Silk Flowers. Thanks ladies, be honest!

Alicia Sanchez

SFrancisco Posts : 16 Registered: 10/1/08
Re: Silk Flowers
Posted: Oct 13, 2008 9:12 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2baMrs

Hi Alicia!  I don't think that it is tacky to use silk flowers. In fact, if you are doing the centerpieces yourself, chances are you wouldn't have the time to put together centerpieces using real flowers right before the wedding.  Silk flowers will allow you to put them together ahead of time and mark that off of your checklist.  The only thing I would suggest is making sure you get the silk flowers at a good price.  Try Michaels or any type of Hobby store.  Even Wal-Mart carries silk flowers. 

Hope this helps! 

Sam

Soon2baMrs Posts : 45 Registered: 8/29/07
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: SFrancisco

Hi Sam, Thanks so much for your advice. I live like one block away from Michael's I will be there this afternoon to check out some flowers. I figure it will save me a lot of time and stress and I can do them like a week or two before our wedding. Thanks again!

Alicia Sanchez

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 12:02 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2baMrs

If you can do it yourself using silk - go for it!

We looked at different florists but when my mom looked over what their price covered, she decided her and my aunt (who has some experience with floral work) could do it themselves for much cheaper.

We used red roses, baby's breath and greenery - all silk.

Michaels has bouquets you can buy and add to them (in their wedding aisle). Because we used roses, my mom went to Michaels right after Valentines day and bought up all the roses they had on clearance. Between that and the 40% off coupons Michaels has in the paper every week and sales at Hobby Lobby, they were able to buy all our flowers for a fraction of the price of what it would cost to hire a florist. 

We had similar centerpieces too, only ours weren't square vases. They bought all our vases at various Walmarts since they were much cheaper than Michaels for those.

The thing with the silk, we didn't have to worry about people having allergies and honestly no one could tell the difference as to whether or not they were real or silk flowers.

I want to say we spent around less than $200 total on our flowers (which included 4 BM bouquets, my bouquet, 4 corsages, like 12 boutenieres, 25 centerpieces, 20 pew bows and other floral decorations at the church) whereas all the florist people wanted close to $1000 minimum for maybe a portion of what we had plus other stuff we didn't think we needed.

picture with some of the bouquets

picture of the chapel, showing some of the pew bows and you can kinda see some greenery on the candlelabras.

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

dryden5 Posts : 330 Registered: 2/4/08
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 6:28 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2baMrs

We are using artificial roses from Hobby Lobby they are ones that look and feel real...i think they are called real to touch or something along that line.  I bought them when they were 50% off and it is saving us bunches.  These deffinately dont look tacky

[url=http://www.weddingcountdown.com]
imghttp://www.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/x7dhcthde3088.png[/img]
[/url]

savex389 Posts : 506 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 6:44 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2baMrs

i dont think its tacky at all. we used "fake" evergreen wreaths under lights for our center pieces and "fake" flowers for the bouquets.

we only went this route because going outside with real flowers in the middle of December would have made them turn brown and once i saw the price difference i loved the silk flower idea!

i dont have a picture of the centerpieces but here are our bouquets.

PamelaKnetter Posts : 2 Registered: 9/4/08
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 8:37 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2baMrs

I helped my sister use silk flowers from Michael's for her wedding. I would recommend going with the more expensive, but more realistic brand that they have. Otherwise it looks really cheap!

Since your wedding is in May, you can buy the flowers week by week (if you're really concerned about saving money) with the 40% off coupons in the Sunday paper. They also accept JoAnn's coupons.

Don't handle the flowers too much or the edges of the petals start to fray!

Sparkles Posts : 257 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 9:22 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2baMrs

In person, I can always tell the difference between real and fake flowers. However, I don't think it's that big of a deal to use fake ones. They're only going to be looked at for a few hours, and real ones die, so why bother? At least with fake ones, you can display them in your home or sell them to get some of your money back. Also, my mom had fake flowers for her 1982 wedding, and I absolutely love looking at her bouquet (it still looks great). It's kind of a neat keepsake!

If you do go with fakes, try to get ones that are good quailty. Look for clearance sales, too. I went to Michael's last March and got all sorts of roses, lilies, and ranunculus garlands, bushes, and stems for 90% off. That was so awesome, and they had tons of selection left (callas, hydrangeas, roses, ranunculus, tulips, lilies, and more). They had pretty much every color available, so I got flowers in my colors, which are white and hot pink. I don't even look at their flowers when they're 50% off (unless it's to get ideas) because they always have so much left over at a much cheaper price.

As a previous poster said, Wal-Mart is a good place for vases. I purchased several medium-size ones there for 97 cents each, and they were regularly $4. Hobby Lobby is another great source for glass stuff...when it's 50% off, which is very frequently.

One thing I am learning is that the vase I use needs to be about four times smaller than I think it does. I recently did some red and green six-rose plus greenery bouquets for Christmas, and I only needed 4" cube vases. They look much more plush than using a large vase and having gaps in the flowers. Maybe it's just me who frequently chooses a vase that is too large, but then again, maybe not.

I don't know what your plans are for vase fillers, but I definitely think you need something. Nothing looks worse than fake flower stems (especially those from bushes). Recently, I found two different vase fillers. They are called water pearls and mystic crystals, and they are very inexpensive (cheaper and much more original than those glass rock things that I see all of the time). You just add water, and they puff up and look really pretty. I included an example below, and if you google it, you can find them to buy. They come in a lot of colors, too.

Mystic Crystals for CenterpiecesMystic Crystals
Magical Water PearlsWater Pearls

Good luck with your flowers! I know they'll turn out great.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine