To go back to school or not??

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
To go back to school or not??
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 5:57 PM

Hello ladies, so I need your opinions. I'm thinking of going back to school to get my vet tech degree. I already have my Bachelor's in Animal Sciences from Ohio State, but since I've been working at a vet clinic I've come to realize I'd like to do more medically and clinically. So I requested information from two local schools to get a vet tech degree.

Both schools would take 16months-2 years. I'm getting married in May and could start in June or August if I wanted to do this right away. What spurred this on is that FH just graduated from College and got his first job doing something he loves-very happy for him! So we're both moving to the city where he works (closer to home! and he's already there, I'll join him in a month when I'm done at work and done with my lease) and so I'm job hunting again, ugh! I hate it! Since I started the job hunt I've realized my degree isn't doing a lot for me, and I can't really find anything I want to do that I'm qualified for- they don't tell you this in college! They just keep telling you how employable you'll be!! So over Thanksgiving my cousin's girlfriend was talking about all of her great classes (xray tech) and how excited she was. I've been thinking about a tech degree off and on, it could lead to animal physical therepy someday which I'm totally interested in. But I really got inspired listening to her and realized I want to learn to do more!

So.... my dilemma is.... do I start up a new degree just after I get married, or enjoy the first few years then go for the degree? I realized I'd have to work full time and prob take night classes, or at least part time on both to make this work, leaving very little time for FH and I after we're married. Do I want to spend our first few years of marriage stressing over classes and never really seeing him?? We can't afford for me to just go to school and not really work, so I know I'll be REALLY busy.... has anyone else started or finished their degree in their first year(s) of marriage? Did it hinder your "honeymoon period"?? I just always envisioned that first year or so after the wedding to be focusing on each other and learning so much about each other, and I don't want schooling to interupt such an important learning and growing time.

I'm just struggling between spending a lot of time on what I do believe will make me enjoy work more, and wanting to focus more on FH and I shortly after the wedding. I could wait 2 years, but being 25, I also envisioned starting my family in 2 years or so, so I could start having kids before 30.... oh the timeline!! I REALLY don't want to be starting a new degree while starting to have kids! I kind of kick myself for not pursuing this degree while I was in college, I just wanted to get my degree and be done! Not add more classes and time onto it! So now I feel I'm pressed for time.

So there's my dilemma, any advice, opinions, anything! would be great! Thanks ladies!!

"Come What May... "

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: To go back to school or not??
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 7:49 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Dear Brooke,

Only you and FH can make the decision, but I'd say Go For It.

At my age, I know too many people who have regrets over what they did not do while in their 20s. Do you think you'll be that way when you are 54?

As far as having time for your husband when you are first married, consider this. You know what "they" say? If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it.

Busy people have to organize their time and make a place for everything that's important. People with plenty of time on their hands let stuff slide forever. I am Exhibit A in this regard, as there is a giant pile of laundry on one of our spare beds that has been waiting for me to fold for about a week.

When I'm really busy, I'd just get in there and fold it lickety-split. But these days are a bit leisurely, so it's easy to put it off until tomorrow. I do hate having to go in there naked looking for clean underwear, though.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 8:04 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

The first time I married, I was finishing off my Master's Degree. I fully intended to take the first term after marriage off; however, they chose that term to offer a 'must have' class that they only offer once a year. It was take it then, or possibly have to sit on my thumbs for it to come back.

We were not able to send both of us to school simultaneously, so we were going to do the swap term thing. I go one term, then the next term he took a class. And I'd have done that--but dipstick (sorry... XH) didn't bother to register his term. I saw no reason why I should have to take a term off if he was not going to take a course that term -- and it was not to save money. He just couldn't be bothered to drag his sorry tail down to the school for registration (ah...the days before online registrations). Then he got ticked because I took the class that term. I'd have let him have the next term, but he did it again. Basically, we didn't one off it. I finished my Masters within one year of marriage and started teaching at night.

Now: he worked retail and worked mostly nights anyway -- so our time together was not impeded by my coursework. He was resentful of my getting my Masters as he had not finished his bachelors; however, he was the one who failed to even sign up for classes. I just didn't see any reason why MY education should drag because of him....I'd also been taking classes for about a year while we were dating, so this was not a new thing for me. I was basically going to make a sacrifice by taking more time to get the degree.

Yes, it is hard to work full time and go to college, whether you're doing it full time or part time, but think how much harder it will be if you become a mother and you're trying to get it started. This is something you dream of doing -- DO IT!!!

I still teach classes -- at a night college, where we have non-traditional students. My students range from 19 to 64....some are fresh out of high school and others are grandmothers who have finally decided that they are not deferring their dream a day longer. Many classes can be taken on line (though in your field, I'd imagine that most cannot), many are offered during the night. Plus, if you are working at a vet's office, you might be able to get financial assistance through them, or even scheduling flexibility--since your chosen degree will help them.

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 8:22 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Hi Brooke. Just wanted to chime in. I am currently in school to be an x-ray tech which is supposed to be a 9 month course or so, because I am just going for my diploma, not degree because the school had a possibilty of loosing its credability to give degrees. Anyhow I also am getting married in May and will not be done with the last half of my schooling which is like an unpaid internship until about May. So as it is I am working two jobs, my real job and my internship. It is hard, and stressfull not seeing FH as much as I had gotten used to, but we make it work and enjoy any time we do get to spend with eachother (I was lucky enough to get sent to a place where I have weekends off for my internship and my job is only Mon-Fri as is his) But it started out he would have to be to work by 7am then I would go to work at 9 come home at 2 change go to my internship he would get home at 4pm or so and I did'nt get off my internship until 10 and got home about 10:45ish ate and went to bed.....so we didn't see eachother much, and they were asking me to fill in on weekends a lot too. So yes, it is hard working and going to school and trying to have a relationship, but the schooling is temperary, and is totaly worth it in the long run if it will get you a job that makes you happy. I say go for it. I plan on going back to school once I am done with what I am doing to get a real, and better degree, which takes about 2 years fairly soon after graduating now. So I'm a little bias and I say go for it, especially if your FH is supporting your decision to do so. As for the having kids and not wanting to look back and regret not doing something at a certain time, I know so many women who get pregnant during school, and make it work, if you think you are one that can handle school work and pregnancy I don't think you have anything to worry about, my only suggestion is try not to get pregnant when you are close to being done with school, I have a friend who was 7 or 8 months pregnant when she graduated and was trying to find a job, no one wants to hire some one who with in a few months would need time off, so now she has to wait a few more months (she just had the baby about 3 weeks ago) to start looking for a job again. Ultamitly, the desicion is yours, but I love having the felling of doing something that will make me happier in the end, FH supporting my desicion in it, and still working and helping contribute to the house hold.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 9:38 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Girls! Thanks so much for your great advice and stories! I can relate to a lot of them!

Aunt- TOTALLY know what you mean about busy people! I am MUCH more productive when I have a million things to do as apposed to having so much time- I never get anything done! So that would keep me more organized again!!

Cat and Nessa- thanks for your stories, glad things are working out for you both! And yes, FH is VERY supportive! He's so great. And I know I would really try to talk myself out of this if I waited a few years and then tried having kids. I know I COULD do it, I just would rather not have to try to start having kids and work on another degree at the same time.

I'm still unsure how I would handle the scheduling..... work full time and take night classes, or take full time classes during the day and have PT job at night.... guess that'd be something to talk to FH and the advisors at the school about. I'malso concerned that now that I'm looking for a new job, what do I tell them? "Oh by the way, I'm getting married in May and then also will be going back to school in June" I doubt employers are really going to want to hire someone with so much scheduling issues.... not sure how to go about that one. Since I have to find a new job anyway, I think I'll stay in the veterinary field so to keep up with the field and hopefully they can help me along the way. I know some offices do office not only practical experience, but also financial assistance. Oh the job hunt!!

Anyway thanks again to you!

"Come What May... "

traveler Posts : 18 Registered: 6/17/08
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 12:13 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

I say go for it! I am busy trying to finish my Bachelor degree before we get married. My FH wants to start his MBA degree in a year and probably 2010-2011 I'll start my MBA. It will be tough but I'd rather start my degree before we start having kids because then I'll never find the time. We will both be working full time and taking classes on nights or weekends. It's not really as bad as you think if you only take one or two classes a semester.

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 7:07 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

I'd go for the degree. My sister is a vet tech and LOVES her job. Be careful with small private practice animal hospitals though. My sister had been working at an animal hospital in Erie since high school. When she graduated, they refused to give her the pay raise her degree required or let her do the things she had been trained to do. She had to look elsewhere. She is now a VT at NC State Vet Hospital. You may need to move to find a job.
I'm going back to school soon too. I was planning on starting my Masters in Elementary Education Next month, but since I'm having a baby in March, I pushed it back to the summer. I am also going to get my certification in Secondary Social Studies. That way I will be more marketable to districts and can get out of elementary school!! I love the kids, but some of them are far too young for me.

MrsJunebug Posts : 333 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 9:51 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

I went back to school before we got married and I'm still working on my degree. I go to school FT and work PT. Yes, the time crunch can be tough. Sometimes you just have to sacrifce in one area to have more somewhere else. I think you'd feel the pressure at any age so I'll be glad to have it behind me sooner than later.

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 10:48 AM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

Do it now. That's the only way to guarantee that you'll ultimately get to it.

I'm assuming that you're still in your 20s. Do it NOW, before your energy and motivation decreases. At this point, you have the momentum...but if you wait for a few years, you'll get comfortable in a job you're not super-crazy about, and you won't have the motivation to go back to school. Do it while you still hate your job!

Also, this will be much easier for you to do before you have kids. Get it out of the way now, and you won't have to worry about finding time to do it later.

As someone in the middle of her first year of marriage...it's not that different from not being married. Not for us, anyway. Assuming that you've been together a while, you probably won't need to 'build a strong foundation' once you're married. A lot of people have that before they're married. But to share my experience, our relationship did not become higher-maintenance just because we're married now. So if it's something that would work out for you two before marriage, it will probably work just as well once you're married.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 12:54 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

I agree with the other ladies--go for it. In my (looong) life experience, life never gets less busy, only more so. Now, you'll have marriage, job, a class or two at a time. Next, you'll probably have marriage, job, your hubby's career demands, house, KIDS, and a class or two at night. Really, it never ends.So, do what you want to do for yourself, now, when you have it relatively easy (OK, don't believe me--just wait LOL!)

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: myra

Thanks Myra- and thanks to all the ladies!! I know if I put it off I will never get to it. So I think I'm going to call the advising office of the school this week and see what things look like. I'll let you know how it goes!!

"Come What May... "

MandyandVance Posts : 650 Registered: 4/10/06
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 2:37 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

I second all the ladies Brooke - do it now! Better to go for it now while you are motivated and still young. Good for you for pursuing a career you will love.

I am a registered veterinary technician and I LOVE my career. I will admit, the schooling is very tough and demanding but you can get through it. The career is so rewarding and you have all different options of work - clinics, hospitals, labs, humane societies, zoo etc. Trust me, you will love it.

Good luck!

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 6:27 PM Go to message in response to: MandyandVance

Thanks Mandy!! How long have you been a vet tech?? I've been a vet assistant for almost 2 years, and while I enjoy it, I just think I'd like to do more hands on and clinical. FH and I talked about it a lot last night and he's very supportive, he said he'd rather have 1 year of toughness, then for me to have 30 years of being unhappy in my job... LOVE HIM! So we'll see what happens this week

"Come What May... "

MandyandVance Posts : 650 Registered: 4/10/06
Posted: Dec 7, 2008 7:17 PM Go to message in response to: Brooke051609

I definitely agree with your DH - you have to be happy with your career, it is a huge part of your life.

I have been an RVT for 4 years now (but I have worked in clinics for the past 10 years, being an assistant and receptionist before going to tech school) and it only gets better with time. The more practice you get the faster your confidence builds up. I work with 4 amazing veterinarians and learn new stuff every day.

Are you going to apply to start next Fall?

Posted: Dec 7, 2008 9:17 PM Go to message in response to: MandyandVance

Well I could apply to start night classes in the summer, or apply to go full time traditionally during the day that would start in the fall. Just depends on what the advisors say and what my new future employer thinks?? Oh it's all so up in the air!! HOpefully some things will get into the works this week.

"Come What May... "

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine