How early did you get your dress?

Online Users: 1,272 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 38

USMCgoldenGIRL Posts : 1 Registered: 1/3/08
Re: How early did you get your dress?
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

I ordered my dress 13 months before our 15 May 2009 wedding.  It is a custom made gown which I was told could take anywhere from 6-8 months to come in!  It has been a little over 6 months now and I still haven't heard anything about it!

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 3:29 PM Go to message in response to: USMCgoldenGIRL

USMCgoldengirl - I'm getting married May 15,2009 too! I haven't run in to anyone else with the same date!

I bought my dress in March 08 about a month after i got engaged. I loved as soon as I tried it on and the bridal shop told me that they were going to discontinue it that season so I bought it! Once you buy a dress it's a really big motivator not to gain weight or loose weight.  At least for me it is. 

preview image

TattooedStarlit Posts : 202 Registered: 12/18/07
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 1:23 PM Go to message in response to: TigerBride515

I ordered my Watters dress about 19 months before our October 9, 2009 wedding date.  I know that's a while but I saw the dress and knew that I didn't want any other  :)

wedding count down

chrisandvee Posts : 1 Registered: 6/28/08
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 3:24 AM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

Hi there,

My wedding is October 3 2009, I chose my dress in July/August (it was the first dress I tried on - fate or what!) and put down the deposit but have asked the store not to deliver it until next year so that it will only be altered 3-4 months before the wedding. I'm also worried about storing the dress incorrectly and have paranoid nightmares about getting big yellow spots on the silk before the big day, so the less time it spends in my wardrobe before the wedding, the better!

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 1:21 PM Go to message in response to: chrisandvee

If you're planning to lose significant weight before your wedding, I would pick a gown that can be easily altered. Your dream gown might be tough to alter - in that case, either pick a different gown or forget about losing weight. Don't order a smaller size because you intend to lose weight before the wedding...that rarely ends well, regardless of your best intentions.

I would talk to your bridal consultant about this and see what she recommends. Personally, if I intended to lose weight, I'd wait as late as possible to order my gown, and I'd also choose one that could be easily altered. I would also stop trying to lose weight after ordering the gown - just try to maintain your weight. Gowns with lace-up backs are nice if you expect your weight to fluxuate a little, as they can be tightened or loosened a little without requiring alterations. Of course, this won't help if you're 30 lbs lighter or heavier than you were when you ordered the gown, though.

My gown was made-to-measure, which means that the salon ordered a gown made specifically for my measurements rather than ordering a standard size and doing alterations afterwards. This worked for me, since my weight doesn't fluxuate much. I was a little nervous that it wouldn't fit when it came in, since I don't pay much attention to my weight, but luckily it fit like a glove. I ordered it 8 months before the wedding and it took 5 months to come in (that depends on your designer and bridal salon, though).

DaisypathWedding Ticker

CocaMarie1378 Posts : 76 Registered: 11/4/06
Posted: Nov 29, 2008 4:20 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

I just ordered my dress and I have 77 days until my wedding. I know what you are thinking but I have been through it all when it comes down to wedding dresses. But all of the drama is over said and done and I have found a beautiful dress that looks wonderful on me.
Wishing you PEACE, LOVE and HAPPINESS

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Nov 29, 2008 6:35 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

I am getting married 8/22/09, and just ordered my dress yesterday (so exciting!!)

One thing you may want to think about - the woman at the bridal salon where I got my dress said that because so many people either get engaged around the holidays or get moving on their planning around the holidays, December/January is the busiest season for ordering dresses. Because of this, the designers get more and more behind from January - March or April, so your dress could end up taking a while to make - on the longer end of the estimate they give you. They told me that for my line (watters) they generally tell people 6 months, but since we were ordering in November, mine would probably actually be done in 3-4. If you wait a few months, your could actually end up taking 6 months to come in. Just something to think about.

marigold07 Posts : 2 Registered: 8/31/08
Posted: Dec 2, 2008 8:56 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

I'm getting married in August 2010 and haven't started shopping for my dress yet--just lots of looking in magazines and online to get an idea of what I'd like. I'm also looking into prices because there's no point falling in love with something I can't afford (*sigh* ML, Vera Wang...). I can hardly wait! I'm going to try to wait until this summer to order a dress because my MOH lives out of town and won't be visiting until then, and we want to go dress shopping together!

Mer21 Posts : 32 Registered: 11/10/08
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 11:48 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

chucksgrl0215 - i'm in the same situation. My wedding is not until 2011 but i found my dream dress (also a Maggie - It's SaBelle) online and just knew it was mine. Even though it was relatively new when i saw it this summer, I was really worried it would be discontinued by the time i started to look. So, i went to a trunk show and tried it on. It was perfect, but i didn't get it. I wanted to try a few other things on before i decided to make sure i wasn't jumping to conclusions since that was the first time i had been dress shopping. I went to two more stores and nothing i tried on could compare at all. I purchased the dress over Thanksgiving weekend. I needed it with extra length (I'm 6'2) so it might take a while to get in. The store is being really great and storing it there for free until the wedding. I am so happy that I got my dream dress! I would say, if you know it's the one, get it now or you'll regret it. Here's a pic of mine!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine