should I invite him???

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

heartrocker88 Posts : 1 Registered: 11/22/08
should I invite him???
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 6:07 PM

A few weeks ago my step dad made a smart comment to me, telling me that my fiance and I will never get married and that if we do we shouldnt waste our money on a wedding instead just save our money to buy a house, he continues to make smart comments about my fiance saying that he is lazy and that we shouldnt be together none of this is true! my fiance is currently the only one with a job he works like 48-56 hours a week and we love each other these comments upset me and it has caused my fiance to hate my step-father (if he even deserves this title) My question is should I invite him to my wedding for the sack of my mom or shouldnt I invite him for the sack of me and my fiance so that we can be happy on our wedding day? please help me! what should I do?
A few weeks ago my step dad made a smart comment to me, telling me that my fiance and I will never get married and that if we do we shouldnt waste our money on a wedding instead just save our money to buy a house, he continues to make smart comments about my fiance saying that he is lazy and that we shouldnt be together none of this is true! my fiance is currently the only one with a job he works like 48-56 hours a week and we love each other these comments upset me and it has caused my fiance to hate my step-father (if he even deserves this title) My question is should I invite him to my wedding for the sack of my mom or shouldnt I invite him for the sack of me and my fiance so that we can be happy on our wedding day?  please help me! what should I do?

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: should I invite him???
Posted: Nov 22, 2008 6:26 PM Go to message in response to: heartrocker88

First of all, you have a lot of time until your wedding and I don't think that this is a decision to make now.

That said, making this decision, you will have to be prepared for your mother to decide not to come to your wedding if you do not invite your step dad. I'm not telling you to invite him or not, but you have to be prepared for the possible consequences.

But I would still wait to make this decision. It is not necessary to do so now.

Good luck!

CocaMarie1378 Posts : 76 Registered: 11/4/06
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: heartrocker88

Heartrocker88 I think you have time to do all that you want to do. Do not allow another to stress you out about foolishness and unnecessary bs. Whenever he says something just smile and do not respond to him. My grandmother always said, "the best way to get someone off of your back is to kill them with kindness, they hate it and will soon leave you alone." Another thing, misery loves company, he is miserable and wants you to be in that boat with him and please do not allow him. The worst thing you could do is allow another to steal your happiness. Now if this does not work, try and talk with him and express how his comments make you and your fiance very uncomfortable. And if that doesn't work talk to your mom. Once you have used all possible channels then that is when you decide.

If you want the rainbow, you have to deal with a little rain.
- Dolly Parton

Wishing you PEACE, LOVE and HAPPINESS

MrsMaldonado Posts : 2,852 Registered: 3/7/07
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 2:30 PM Go to message in response to: heartrocker88

I agree with the other posters....you have plenty of time to make that decision. Maybe by the time of your wedding he will come around.

Just married!
September 27, 2008

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Nov 30, 2008 4:15 PM Go to message in response to: heartrocker88

First off, you have plenty of time, so don't worry about this now.

Secondly, assuming that your stepdad is married to your mom, I'd invite him. Sure, he sounds like a dick, but I don't think this is worth alienating your mother. Everybody has family that they wish weren't family...he's yours. But he IS family - and close family, at that - unless he and your mom divorce before your wedding. Yes, you should invite him.

If he continues to be a dick as the wedding gets closer, let your wedding party know the situation. Spread the word with your close friends/family that your stepdad will be attending the wedding, but that you don't want to have to speak to him more than absolutely necessary. They can discreetly keep him otherwise engaged, so that he won't bother you. That way, you don't have to deal with him (more than a brief hug in the receiving line), and you won't offend your mom by not inviting him. Most likely, if he doesn't like you, he'll just hit the bar and won't talk to you much, in any case.

FYI, this area of the forum doesn't see a lot of traffic. If you want more replies, repost your question in another section - maybe etiquette? I only noticed it because I'm having a lazy afternoon randomly checking out parts of the boards that I don't normally visit.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine