no arranged seating for buffet

Online Users: 1,310 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 9

heathjez Posts : 1 Registered: 3/26/08
no arranged seating for buffet
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 9:27 AM

I am having a buffet dinner and am not having arranged seating. The past few weddings I went to, everyone just moved around to where they wanted to sit anyway, so I feel it's not worth the extra stress for me to come up with a seating chart. My question is, should I still have certain tables called up to the buffet at certain times so it is not chaotic? Has anyone ever had a large buffet reception w/out arranged seating? How did you work it?

WinterWonderlan... Posts : 658 Registered: 8/23/08
Re: no arranged seating for buffet
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 9:41 AM Go to message in response to: heathjez

Where I live, people would never go for arranged seating. I'm also having a buffet style reception. I plan to have 150-200 people. If you are having a large number, it could be beneficial to have certain tables come up one at a time. However, I plan to just let people eat as they please. I'm sure there will be some that perfer to mingle before hitting the food and others that will jump in line. I want my wedding reception to be more of a relaxed, warm, friendly atmosphere so I'm letting people do as they please. Either way it will be great though!
December 5, 2009!!!

TiDaWinterBride Posts : 154 Registered: 10/10/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 12:14 PM Go to message in response to: heathjez

Even though you won't have arranged seating, you can still number or name the tables. At my cousin's wedding this past August she had close to 250 ppl there and didn't arrange any seating. Everybody just sat where they wanted and when dinner time came, they just called the tables up 2 or 3 at a time using the numbers that were assigned to them.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 12:28 PM Go to message in response to: heathjez

Dear Heath,

I've been to many large buffet dinners, since that is the preferred type of event for my husband's company parties.

Typically, everyone sits where they like, then someone in charge calls tables, or groups of tables, to the buffet line. That means no one has to stand in a long line and there's less chaos. You don't want everyone getting up at once.

It works great.

One tip: If there are any elderly or handicapped guests, see if you can designate someone to get a plate for them. Let that person go through the line first, then they can deliver the plate and go back to the line for their own meal.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 1:50 PM Go to message in response to: heathjez

You also may want to make sure you have some tables reserved for you and your FH's immediate family. (And the WP if you are not at a head table.)

Good luck!

hearts2halo Posts : 34 Registered: 11/12/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I have been to both weddings with and without arrainged seating. But with both the buffet dinner hasnt been called in any order and its always been fine. Neither had crazyness for the food, people kinda just line up and get their food. I think you will be fine without either!

www.weddingcountdown.com

futue.jenn.parr.googlepages.com

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I have been to both weddings with and without arrainged seating. But with both the buffet dinner hasnt been called in any order and its always been fine. Neither had crazyness for the food, people kinda just line up and get their food. I think you will be fine without either!

www.weddingcountdown.com

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

www.weddingcountdown.com

countrylove816 Posts : 8 Registered: 11/3/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 6:55 PM Go to message in response to: hearts2halo

I think it is fine to do a buffet with out any organized seating, as for the long lines people get the chance to mingle more and meet people they might not have if everyone had to stay in the same group at a table.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: heathjez

At at wedding I just went to, they had a sit down dinner but even they didn't assign seating. They had the head table then a few tables near it that had a "Reserved for the Bride's Family" or a "Reserved for the Groom's Family" sign so we knew not to sit there.

Mrs. Pinky

glitter-graphics.com

Our Wedding Website 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine