Friday vs. Sunday

Online Users: 1,311 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

RyDave2010 Posts : 4 Registered: 10/26/08
Friday vs. Sunday
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 3:07 PM

Ok, so we are in the process of planning our wedding and we have come to hit a wall in our progress. Since my FH and I are footing 90% of the bill for our wedding, we can't exactly meet the costs for a Saturday night wedding at a location of our choice. So we are considering Friday night or Sunday afternoon as alternatives.

The problem is this: My family is in South Jersey, his family is in Long Island, the Bronx, and Yonkers. This is my first wedding and his second. All of our guests would be traveling at least 1hr and 15 min or more to a 1/2 way spot for all. My FH is almost fully against Friday, since people would have to leave work early, if not take a full day, just to be able to make the distance and arrive on time to the ceremony, besides the fact that this is wedding #2 for him... I am almost as much against a Sunday as he is Friday, because I feel that most people see weddings as a time to get out and enjoy their night, stay over, and relax the next day... something that can't really be done on a Sunday.

So that leaves me to pose this question:

Would you rather travel to and attend a Friday night wedding, or a Sunday afternoon wedding?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks everyone and congrats on your engagement/wedding

Cortie24 Posts : 27 Registered: 1/7/08
Re: Friday vs. Sunday
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: RyDave2010

I personally would rather attend a Friday wedding, especially when you put it into the context of how it impacts the rest of your weekend. My FH and I are having a Friday evening wedding, as well, to save on costs. I think that the people who are really invested in you and your FH and care about you will find a way to get there. If it's not worth it to someone to take a few hours off work to travel 90 miles to attend the most important day of your life, perhaps it's best that they aren't present. We have friends that live 1,000 miles away and they are taking whole days off work and taking flights to get to our Friday wedding! The day is about you and your FH and you should be thinking about what is going to make you happy and comfortable, not everyone else. I'm all for trying to make things convienent for guests, but ultimately, I think you two need to do what you feel best about.

I would suggest making a pros and cons list for each day and see what you come up with; perhaps that activity could help steer you in one direction. Or if you are really concerned that a significant number of people won't come if it's on a Friday, maybe sample a handful of them and see which day they would be more enthused about. Life I said though, I think you ultimately have to do what you and FH feel best about.

Good luck! :)

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." - Billy Crystal, When Harry met Sally

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 3:35 PM Go to message in response to: Cortie24

Thank you so much DVegas! Your suggestions are definitely going to be put to use!!! I appreciate your time!!!

DVegas wrote:I personally would rather attend a Friday wedding, especially when you put it into the context of how it impacts the rest of your weekend. My FH and I are having a Friday evening wedding, as well, to save on costs. I think that the people who are really invested in you and your FH and care about you will find a way to get there. If it's not worth it to someone to take a few hours off work to travel 90 miles to attend the most important day of your life, perhaps it's best that they aren't present. We have friends that live 1,000 miles away and they are taking whole days off work and taking flights to get to our Friday wedding! The day is about you and your FH and you should be thinking about what is going to make you happy and comfortable, not everyone else. I'm all for trying to make things convienent for guests, but ultimately, I think you two need to do what you feel best about.

I would suggest making a pros and cons list for each day and see what you come up with; perhaps that activity could help steer you in one direction. Or if you are really concerned that a significant number of people won't come if it's on a Friday, maybe sample a handful of them and see which day they would be more enthused about. Life I said though, I think you ultimately have to do what you and FH feel best about.

Good luck! :)

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." - Billy Crystal, When Harry met Sally

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 3:44 PM Go to message in response to: RyDave2010

I would rather attend a Friday wedding as well.

Mrs. Pinky

glitter-graphics.com

Our Wedding Website 

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 4:19 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

I'm having a Friday night wedding as well and all of the feedback we have gotten has been positive. Most of our guest are excited to have a reason to take the day off!

preview image

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 4:53 PM Go to message in response to: RyDave2010

Dear Ry,

Either day is OK. I'll mention that I got married on a Sunday, and that worked out just fine.

Suggestion: Why don't you ask the friends and family that you know you will be inviting? See what kind of consensus you get from them?

Posted: Nov 24, 2008 4:59 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

auntofthebride wrote:

Dear Ry,

Either day is OK. I'll mention that I got married on a Sunday, and that worked out just fine.

Suggestion: Why don't you ask the friends and family that you know you will be inviting? See what kind of consensus you get from them?

Thanks Aunt... I think that's what we are going to end up doing. I know we can't please everyone, but we can try!

Thank you :-)

hearts2halo Posts : 34 Registered: 11/12/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: RyDave2010

I think I would prefer a sunday wedding. Why not try to make it a weekend thing, have everyone come saturday spend the day with them, do the rehearsal dinner that night and everything then have the wedding sunday afternoon then people can leave when its all done with. The big celebration is over they can go home instead of getting there yall getting married and doing whatever that night this way yall can spend time with your guests.

www.weddingcountdown.com

futue.jenn.parr.googlepages.com

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 7:15 PM Go to message in response to: hearts2halo

If you were one of my good friends or close family members I would take an extra day off if I had to, either before or after the wedding day, in order to be there for the day. So in that sense it wouldn't make a difference to me which day it is. Just keep in mind that people would possibly have to start traveling as early as Thursday morning if they're in your wedding and have to be at the rehearsal, so as a PP said it's a good idea to poll your friends and family.

People might be more tired at a Friday night wedding than a Sunday wedding since they will have worked all week, then packed and traveled for your wedding. But on the other hand, if you want to plan additional low-key wedding-related events so you can have more time to hang out with people, then planning your wedding for a Friday gives you that opportunity. If you have the wedding on Sunday, you may be running around like a chicken with your head cut off the day before and therefore won't have as much time to hang out with people.

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

FH & I are having a Sunday afternoong wedding. My entire family will be coming from out of state so, like you, we wanted it to be convient for our guests. Our ceremony is from 12pm-12:30pm with the reception directly following. We reserved the DJ for 5 hours so 12:30-4:30. We're going to have the bar make last call one hour before the music stops, so 3:30. And then have the DJ do a "last dance of the evening" song right before he leaves. This way the guests are more prepared for the night to end at 4:30 and everyone will be gone by 5. With having things over by 5, guests can go home and relax at an early time.

Another option: host your wedding on a holiday weekend. We're getting married Sunday May 30, 2010 which is the Sunday before Memorial Day so practically everyone is off the next day. So besides leaving at 5, they'll have Monday to catch up as well.

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 9:09 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I'm also having a sunday afternoon wedding. FH and I went to a Friday night wedding last year and a lot of people were complaining about it. We're having the ceremony around 3 and then the reception following immediately. Instead of a full open bar, we're doing beer, wine and pop. We figure that the reception will be over between 8 and 9. :)

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 9:21 AM Go to message in response to: RyDave2010

I have been to Sunday and Friday weddings - both of which required travel. I honestly prefer Sunday weddings. After working all week, I am just too tired to really enjoy a wedding on a Friday night. Sunday afternoon would give me a chance to relax the day before, and still be home in time to get enough sleep to ready for Monday.

RedStormGirl Posts : 184 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 9:59 AM Go to message in response to: RyDave2010

I would say I would rather go to a Sunday afternoon wedding for all the reasons Bride2008 said. I also love the idea of a brunch wedding...something a little different that guests will appreciate, I think....

"Where you are is where I belong...I do know where you go is where I want to be." - DMB

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 5:05 PM Go to message in response to: RedStormGirl

I didn't get a chance to read all these responses, but if I were a close friend, I'd probably end up taking Friday off for the Friday night wedding, or Monday off for the Sunday wedding, so either way I'd be looking at a vacation day. Have you considered Saturday Afternoon? We are doing that, and the rates tend to be comperable to Sundays, but then you can have a fun "after party" and Sunday to relax.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Nov 25, 2008 9:26 PM Go to message in response to: RyDave2010

I prefer Sunday (I'm prejudiced. My daughter's wedding was on a Sunday afternoon). One reason, at least where I live, is that Friday traffic is horrendous (Southern CA freeways!!). A trip that would take an hour on a Sunday afternoon could take 2 1/2 hours on a Friday. So, guests will arive grouchy and late, to say the least. Sunday brunch is a nice idea. Not only is the venue less expensive, but so is the type of food, amount of alcohol,etc. And, if you do a Sunday, your RD would be on Saturday night, so there definitely would be a party-weekend feeling. If you do a Friday, your wedding party has to take off Thursday, as well, for rehearsal and RD.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine