Military/2nd marriage/Colors...HELP!!!

Online Users: 1,345 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

tj2008 Posts : 3 Registered: 10/23/08
Military/2nd marriage/Colors...HELP!!!
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 4:29 PM

HI All!

I just ran into this site and thought I would join since we are going to be planning an out of this world wedding!! But....I have some questions/concerns and I was hoping that I could get some good advice from others in my situation or someone that may have great ideas :)

First this is the second marriage for both of us, which I know is ok.  But...is it "normal" to have a "big" wedding for the second marriage.  Also, he is in the military and is leaving for Iraq in the spring of 2009.  We are going to have a VERY small ceremony before he leaves and have the "big" wedding when he gets back.  We have some silly thoughts that are "cute" October 10, 2010 which falls on a Sunday...is that ok? (10-10-10) LOL I know it's ok but I just want input to what people think.  Also, since we will have already gotten married we want our big wedding to be in a church on the military base, VERY FOMRAL and ELEGANT.   What's some thoughts on that? Also, since the wedding will take place in October, the last thing We want is Halloween or Traditional Falls Colors (Orange, Browns and Tans) for the wedding...We want Green to be one of the colors and not sure on the other(s) colors...we want elegant but sometimes I fee like green is not an elegant color.

OK I know that was kind of a lot but I'm just looking for input as well as advice if anyone should have any!

Thanks so much and look forward to reading your posts to my questions/concerns!!

TJ2008

LisaSummerBride2B Posts : 126 Registered: 8/10/08
Re: Military/2nd marriage/Colors...HELP!!!
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 4:47 PM Go to message in response to: tj2008

Hey! First of all, welcome to brides! All the ladies here are SO friendly and helpful. You'll get a lot of great ideas and answers from them.

Second, I saw you're in Washington, are you getting married at Lewis? My FH is in the military as well.

I just went to a Sunday wedding, it was held in the afternoon, at a church but not super elegant and it wasn't Catholic. But it was still very beautiful.I'm not too keen on the on-base churches but ask if they're willing to hold a Sunday wedding as well as if you need to be members of the church before you can get married there.

Good luck with your wedding planning and welcome!

-Lisa-
Surviving our first deployment

When is my wedding

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 4:48 PM Go to message in response to: tj2008

Welcome TJ! Green is a pretty color and many brides on here have used it in many ways and shades. To help you with "other" colors .. tell us what your favorite and his favorite colors are and if you like golds or silvers. And believe me ... if you want people's opinions you came to the RIGHT web site.  Anyway.. I think 10-10-10 is awsome!    

Check out my Album for wedding pics!

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 4:59 PM Go to message in response to: tj2008

Welcome to the boards!  You will find lots of good info here! 

Green can be very elegant!  I have not seen a color yet that can't be elegant, so you have nothing to worry about!

Like my wedding date twin Nanette said, tell us you and your FH's favorite colors and we'll go from there!

wedding ticker

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 5:11 PM Go to message in response to: LisaSummerBride2B

Thanks for the welcome!!

Yep in Washington...I am from Gig Harbor actually! We are planning on a military wedding not too sure about the on base thing now...just realized they don't do Sunday weddings LOL Whoops...no biggy though we'll have something off base. Not too sure where yet...we have time!! :)

Hey Good Luck with the Deployment!

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

Thank you!

Well I love silver...gold not so much! His favorite color is green.  Before we found out he was deploying over seas our initial colors were green and watermelon pink.  But now being in the fall I don't want to use "summer/spirng" colors...but then again I don't want to use "fall" colors either...LOL I have been looking at the orange roses...maybe that may work...he is really wanting to stay involved with the planning, plus since we are paying for this wedding LOL he wants to know where everything is going...since we have a little time we'll talk more about colors...I think we need to get some color palettes and see what looks good together :)

Thanks again for your message!! And I can't wait to start using this site...here is the site I created for us :)

http://www.brides.com/weddingwebsite/tamiandjonny this site is FUN!!!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 8:02 PM Go to message in response to: tj2008

Depending on rank, you'll either be able to use the NCO Club or the Officer's Club for the reception venue.  Those are nice, regardless...and the catering will be good....and reasonable.

Base chapel:  depends on the base itself.  Some have two or three chapels...some even more.   When you know what base he's at, go look at ALL of them.   Some are more casual chapels, others are more formal.   I think the base we were at in hawaii had three.  One in Arizona had two.  England one.   Florida has a base with I think four chapels.   These chapels do not look anything alike, which is amazing.    Also, get to know the ministers...they are of different denominations.   But don't get TOO set on a specific minister, unless you've confirmed he won't be PCSing before your wedding.   

They shouldn't have an issue with the Sunday wedding, BUT you should know that there will not just be the one congregation to contend with.

Usually there are at least:

9:30 ish is the Catholic Service
11:00 ish is the Protestant Service
1:00 ish is the Gospel Service

Some bases even do have an evening service on Sunday.  Pick your chapel wisely.  Not all chapels do all three services, so you might have to forfeit the most elegant and go for a more casual chapel, IF that one only does a couple services a day, as opposed to the full spectrum.    (Also, the fewer chapels, the more likely you'll run in to the multipurposing of the building for different faiths)

You won't be able to get in to decorate for your ceremony on Sunday before 4 (my experience with the Gospel service is that it runs long, and the parishioners don't just disperse as soon as the service is over).  

Sunday services notoriously have logistical issues with churches (other locations, not so much...but churches, definitely)

I grew up in Military Chapels, and I have not been able to transition to the more traditional Denominational churches. 

Keep in mind, where he is stationed will impact your guest list in a big way. 

Do you already know where he's going to be stationed?   

Misty

wedding countdown

Visit our Wedding Website

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 8:40 PM Go to message in response to: tj2008

what do you think of sage green, a soft pink, and silver as your colours? Very classy! IT doesn't scream "fall" but still fits! I like this invitation with the cherry blossom on it:

this is all very elegant:

love the feel of this one too:

especially that dress in the top right. Yum!

cake option?

though I think more sage than that spring green colour on the cake...

some great silver details:

green/silver bridesmaid dresses from alfred angelo:

I think it could totally work! :) 

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

mrsmckay Posts : 13 Registered: 7/11/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 8:43 PM Go to message in response to: tj2008

Hey!

We are doing the same thing.  We got married in last May, he is in Iraq right now and we are having the wedding in July.  I was worried about that too, but don't!  We are going all out and treating it was if it was the original wedding.  All of the people who are going to be there were not there for the original vows, so think of it that way. Celebrating it with all of your friends and family who weren't there for the civil ceremony! 

For the colors. I love sage green/white/and silver together.  I think it is very classy and also very Fall.  I think you can do a lot with that.  Silver vases and white flowers with green mixed in and sage green bridesmaid dresses.  Just an idea!

aly829 Posts : 9 Registered: 11/11/08
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: tj2008

I am so glad I found other military brides to talk to. My FH just found out that he is deploying Dec. 8th. Which kills our plans for an august wedding... but back to your colors. I love silver and green, plus if you go with a hunter green (which matches his Class A's) you can pair it with deeper colors. You could go with a rich red (which I personally love) or play it up. The rich tones work well with the season while avoiding "traditional" fall colors.

MrsStoll Posts : 4 Registered: 11/17/08
Posted: Nov 17, 2008 4:13 AM Go to message in response to: tj2008

In all honesty my original colors were going to be black white and lime green, very elegant and sharp in my opinion, but then i changed my mind because my husband is wearing his dress blues ... so now my colors are navy blue and lime green... i think 10-10-10 would be great sunday wedding sounds like fun.... and yes in my opinon you can have 5 big weddings ....its your special day wit the the man you love so you guys can do what you want...good luck! and good luck on the deployment... i know what that feels like my husband is overseas now...

dryden5 Posts : 330 Registered: 2/4/08
Posted: Nov 17, 2008 2:16 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Nala You need to do this for a living. You always have the best ideas
myspace wedding countdown

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine