Floral Questions Answered

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 420

Destiny123 Posts : 519 Registered: 5/5/08
Re: Floral Questions Answered
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 7:23 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

MasterFlorist PLEASE HELP! I've been planning on using silk roses and doing all the bouquets and boutonnieres myself. Fresh flowers and a florist are completely out of my budget. Well, I found a great deal on fresh roses in my colors! So my worry is now "Can I really put all these arrangments together?!" I have until JUNE to practice, and I started last night, by making a simple bouquet with a couple of bundles of roses I picked up from the store. I just put them together and put wire around them. I think it's ok for being a "rough draft," and i'm hoping to continue practicing and get better and better... But I need tips... I've looked up a million different ways to put a bouquet together and I don't know what's best!

I'm going for that dome look. All the flowers in my bouquet will be hot pink. And i want about 2 dozen in mine. The bridesmaids want small nosegays, so that would be about 6 roses? And they will be white. One mentioned having a single hot pink rose in the center of their bouquets. Does that sound ok? I don't even know the proper steps to assembling a bouquet like I want, and i'm not sure which of the articles I've found I should actually follow. So I thought i'd ask you. Here is a picture of my "rough draft" that I threw together last night just to make sure it was possible. Anything will be helpful!

With my future step daughter holding it, it looks like this...

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
MyHotComments.com
MyHotComments

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 7:41 PM Go to message in response to: Destiny123

those are really pretty destiny :) I would think that you could buy a contrasting flower or even just some greens from a website to spruce that up. or maybe even a florist would sell you just some green stuff really cheap

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Thank you Nala!! That bouquet only took me about 25 minutes or so! And that included taking all the leaves off the stems, shooing my dogs away, and putting together and taking apart the whole bouquet a few times. haha. The deal I can get in June is 75 hot pink roses and 25 white (for 95 bucks! I have to brag about my cost cutting deals any chance I get, sorry haha). I don't want any white in my bouquet because fresh roses are never really BRIGHT WHITE, and I don't want my dress to make them look even MORE off white. And my mom doesn't like those little white flowers that are going in brightly colored bouquets these days. I don't know what else to do. And i'm not even sure if I assembled that right, considering I keep reading all these different ways. lol
MyHotComments.com
MyHotComments

MasterFlorist Posts : 222 Registered: 11/30/07
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: Destiny123

DESTINY123:

Well, I think you should keep doing what you did!  It turned out great.. there ARE many methods to creating a round bouquet.. just pick one that works for you.  The only difference between the methods is the work involved and the flowers you will use.  For your bouquet you can just simply gather them together keeping in mind the shape, I like to secure them with florist wire.. Then tape around the wire with green florist tape.  This provides a smooth, perfect base for adding ribbon around the handle.  THATS IT!  But it looks like you have the concept down.  Start with one flower then build a ring around it with other roses. A round bouquet is built by continuously adding ring after ring of roses until the desired shape/size is achieved. 

The nosegays may be a little tricky.. if the flowers are fully open I would use 6.. the following uses 7 fully open roses

The one below uses 7 not fully opened:

It seems like you want to incorporate some hot pink into their bouquets. If it were ME I would either just add a hot pink ribbon around their stems like the bouquets above with white roses or use 4 roses mixed with 2 stems of hot pink spray roses, which are smaller and would add interest in shape and color.

I hope that helps you!

Google "Stems Event Florist" for my website.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 3:28 PM Go to message in response to: michelspa

Michelspa:

>>Have you had any experience using the submersible floralytes in the bottom of a 36 in tall pilsner style vase with a floral arrangement on top? I'm thinking of using either a white light or maybe the amber color because I want the vase itself to "glow". Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have, though I would only use them if I know the room they will be in will have low light or if the vases aren't too tall.  They don't give off much light and do not look like this:

unless the room is VERY dim.

I used a cylinder vase about the same height but with hot pink floralytes.  I bought them from sdflowers.com and they arrived perfectly.  I scoured for the best price and they were the best I found.  For your project I recommend using this type..(there are two types of floralytes available):

http://www.flowersandsupplies.com/Submersible-Floralytes_p_4-5.html

They come with a resuable LED battery.  To turn them on you just twist the top with the bottom tight and they will stay on continously.  I set them up at 3 pm and they were still shining at midnight. You can resuse them over and over again..they turn off by unscrewing the top.  I would choose the amber color to add a "candlelight" glow.

TIP:  To create these arrangements, you might want to purchase a few and experiment with the vase you intend on using.  Pilsner vases are thinner at the bottom and it might look awkward if the floralyte does not go all the way to the bottom.  You can try using cylinder vases like these instead, they are cheaper and would be easier to handle with the floralytes.  The second picture has a floralyte at the bottom though it is hard to tell since they don't photograph well with flash photography:

First fill the vase with water.. turn the floralyte on and drop in.  If it starts to float to the top simply add some sort of branch, either curly willow or, one from your garden to anchor it. You should only need one per vase if the room is dim, otherwise two would work. They work best in low light rooms.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Fairyjasmine Posts : 1 Registered: 1/14/07
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

Masterflorist, I'm wondering if you can offer me any advice.

I am planning to do all the flowers for my wedding to save on costs. The one exception is my bouquet (a large cascade style) which I am paying a florist to do because I think it's beyond my skill.

I will have a 3 bridesmaid bouquets (small posies), 5 corsages and 9 button holes to do. I would like to do these as far in advance as is reasonable, but at the same time, I don't want to compromise the flowers by having them out of water too long. I'll be using vendella roses, cream spray roses, dendrobiums and greens (Italian & Israeli ruskus, asparagus fern and evergreen ivy). If my wedding is on Saturday, is it safe to make them Friday morning if they're kept in an unheated basement (~50 degrees)? Could I even get away with doing some on Thursday night or is that pushing it? Is there any advice you can give me on how to keep them looking good longer (should I spray them?) or which flowers and greens are likely to last the best?

If I wanted a tiny flower scattered in my hair (loose curls--half up, half down), but really don't want to use baby's breath. Do you have any other suggestions?

Lastly, do you think just white hydrangea, vendella roses and white dendrobium orchids will look stunning for my bouquet? The florist plans to add greens of course (evergreen ivy, Italian and/or Israeli ruskus and/or asparagus fern), but it still seems a tad lacklustre to me. My Maggie Sottero gown is blush (peached ivory) satin with a diamond white organza overlay and is very understated. I think my florist was trying to keep my bouquet simple as to not overwhelm the simple elegance and colour of my gown, but I just want a second opinion on the composition of my bouquet. Would you add a fourth flower--perhaps something small to add texture and dimension? Or is it going to be perfect as is?

Thank you so very much for any advice you can offer me. You have no idea how us "do it yourself" brides appreciate your input.

Fairyjasmine 

PS That's the only online pic I could find of my gown and it's not in the Blush colour. Sorry.

Maggie Sottero A492 HollyMessage was edited by: Fairyjasmine

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 7:56 AM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

Thank you so much masterflorist!!! Now I KNOW I can do it myself! I really appreciate your input more than I can say! :)
MyHotComments.com
MyHotComments

Yaritza Posts : 3 Registered: 9/9/08
Posted: Sep 28, 2008 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

I want this style of flowers but I want to add some blue and burgundy roses; did you think they look nice?? How much I'm expecting to pay for this.

Posted: Oct 5, 2008 1:23 AM Go to message in response to: Fairyjasmine

Fairyjasmine:

Great questions.  The posies you can get away with making on Thursday since either you can leave stems showing and place in vases or you can use a bouquet holder with foam.  As for the button holes and corsages.. I honestly would make them Friday evening.  They will not last if made on Thursday and depending on the time of your wedding I think even Friday morning is pushing it.  The spray roses and greens will definitely last longer than the vendella or orchids.  The KEY to keeping flowers fresh longer is Conditioning before using them for anything.. meaning re cutting all the stems when you receive them and placing in plastic/glass containers with flower food..preferably a full day before you are to arrange them. There is a spray available called Aquafinish which can help with yellowing and wilting that can be sprayed on the corsages and button holes once you make them.

An 18oz spray bottle goes for about $6.99 and can be found at afloral.com and sdflowers.com. This is the only spray I would use. Your basement should be fine as long as it does not dip below at least 40 F and there are no excess chemical fumes. Otherwise you can even keep them in a dark room with some ice added to the water as the water they drink up really does dictate the life of the flower... warm water will make everything open! 

For the flower in your hair you could use silk stephanotis.  Michael's sells a variety for about $2.00 a stem that is not cheap looking, some even have pearl or rhinestone inserts!  Or if you wanted to use fresh you could use some of the spray roses or even mini spray carnations. 

Your bouquet:

I personally would not add those greens but maybe would add  a few spray roses, maybe some white lisianthus and fabulous beaded ribbon with maybe the same diamond accents as on your dress. I also would use white/very light peach roses. That is just my personal opinion though!  I think your bouquet would look beautiful just the way it is without greens only because the orchids are show stoppers in themselves. Look at the bouquet of rose and hydrangea below, orchids would be that final touch and you really don't need to add more if you don't wish to:

Posted: Oct 5, 2008 1:25 AM Go to message in response to: Fairyjasmine

Yaritza:

I think burgundy roses would look OK!  Cascading bouquets are slightly more expensive.. expect to pay anywhere from $175-250.

Posted: Oct 5, 2008 6:20 PM Go to message in response to: stargazer9

Stargazer9:

Well we can keep this simple! Irises are beautiful however they thrive in spring months and although you would be able to find them in January.  There are PLENTY of other options!

Below is a list of these:

Mini/spray carnations and regular carnations come in all shades of purple:

Roses:

Lavender Calla Lily:

Daisys and mums:

Matsumoto: 

Dianthus:

Gladiolus:

Liatris:

Lisianthus:

Alstroemeria:

Snapdragon:

Purple Delphinium:

Stock:

Fillers:

Aster: 

Statice:

Waxflower:

Freesia:

All of these are pretty much available ALL year long so are pretty affordable. 

raven76 Posts : 25 Registered: 5/28/08
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 8:10 PM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

masterflorist:

is it at all possible to "tip" white peonies in a royal blue(ish) color? i looked for photos but i wanted to ask and be sure, i think it'd look lovely!

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 9:38 PM Go to message in response to: raven76

I believe it IS possible RAVEN76.  There is a series of Aerosol sprays called Design Master which can be used for this:

They can be used on fresh flowers as well as any other surfaces you would normally use spray paint on.  Best of all they are readily available at Michaels Art's and Crafts or JoAnn's Fabrics.   I know direcfloral.com sells these but I have never ordered through them so I would hate to recommend something that doesnt work out.  You can also check their website www.dmcolor.com for additional locations in your area and for application techniques. 

We used these all the time and because the mist is so fine they turn out beautifully.  Make sure to have old sheets or pieces of cardboard handy and test, test, test.  Spray the cardboard before spraying the flower to even out the mist, hold the flower in one hand at a 45 degree angle and lightly spray.  Build up the color until you get the shade you want!

Sounds beautiful!  Please let us know how it turns out :D 

Visit my website

PinkHippo Posts : 53 Registered: 11/2/08
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 2:30 AM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

I am dreaming of using sunflowers in my boquet and mixed in the wedding.  The florists I have talked to are really excited about it.  They do not seam to be a popular wedding flower and am not sure of some ideas to do with them.  We are getting married in August.  Are they in season that time of year?  Will they be reasonably priced?  Is there any reason that you do not see a lot of brides using them? What are some good flowers to pair with them? thank you!

Frenchmaid Posts : 10 Registered: 11/13/08
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 4:22 AM Go to message in response to: MasterFlorist

check these out girls... for ideas and if you like them let me know!

http://recycler.com/details.aspx?adid=31709975

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=designer%20gowns

A dream is a goal without a deadline!

Be nice girls, the wedding lasts one day~ friendship lasts forever

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine