How do you know your dess is THE ONE?

Online Users: 1,319 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24

PinkHippo Posts : 53 Registered: 11/2/08
How do you know your dess is THE ONE?
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 7:15 PM

ok ladies.  I am new to the site but it seams like everyone gives a lot of good advice.  I am just starting my dress shopping experience. All the dresses are very pretty but I am not sure how you know when you find THE ONE.  Everyone tells me that you just know and it feels right.  I have not had that feeling yet so I am guessing I have not found THE ONE.  I guess I am asking everyone how they know it was THE DRESS and how many did everyone try on before they found it?

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Re: How do you know your dess is THE ONE?
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

I tried on about 20 dresses and of the 20 I had about 4 that felt like "the one". You really do get a feeling that tells you it is the one. Or in my case the multiple ones! My friend thought I was crazy until I went dress shopping with her and about 6 dresses it she had the feeling. The first dress that I found was the 4th one I tried on. My mom told me to hold off on getting it until I tried on some other ones. So I tried on a different brand and then that one got thrown out the window.So at Alfred Angelo, I found 2 that I absolutely loved. I had my sister go with me and I also saw a pic of one online that I wanted to try. So I tried on the 2 for her and she liked one more then the other and then I tried on the one I ended up getting and we both knew that it was the one and the other ones I had tried on were out! I also took a million pics and looked at them and also posted them on here to get some honest feedback.

www.mywedding.com/samanthaandpatrick/

LadyE2010 Posts : 83 Registered: 10/30/07
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

I went to Alfred Angelo's the first time and picked out about 5 dresses to try on.  The second dress I put on just made me feel beautiful and confident.  It just felt right.  Since it was only the second dress I tried on, I figured it couldn't be it.  I have since been to several bridal stores, but none of the dresses I've tried on have "wowed" me.  I don't think it was much help, but I would suggest trying different styles to ensure you are seeing what fits best on your body type! Good Luck!!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 7:39 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

I know this doesn't help, but you will know.  I went to try on dresses on a lark - nearly 11 months before the wedding.  My one GF went with me who ended up being a BM.  We went before we went out for the opening Sunday of the NFL (and yes, we watched football ALL day after shopping).

I'm a larger sized lady, but I tried on about 6 dresses.  And I found it - it was perfect for me, the detail was embroidered without a  lot of glitter (glitter isn't my style).

The dress was discontinued, we were able to take pics I sent them to my aunt via email who was with my Mom on a cruise crossing the Atlantic.  Mom said go for it - I bought it the next night and I NEVER looked back.

And it WAS perfect for me and I felt like a million bucks in it.

So you will know, and if you don't know yet, keep looking.

ciscokid Posts : 119 Registered: 8/8/07
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 9:19 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Agree with pp, it was "the one" like he is "the one." I bought mine in July (wedding next June) and I still love it so much more than any other one I've seen.

If you're looking for something a little more concrete, for me it was the dress that I kept comparing all the other dresses to. I'd put on a dress and LOVE it, but I'd still come back to mine and say, I don't like it as well as I liked that one. Because there are lots of pretty dresses! Laughing

Enjoy the process! The only regret I have about mine (it was actually the first one I ever tried on) was that buying it prevented me from going and trying on more just for fun. I enjoyed being "the bride" and being able to priss in the big mirror heehee. I got to be a girly girl for a bit and it was fun ;-)

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Nov 9, 2008 11:32 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

I never had that feeling and many brides here have actually said the same thing.  I selected a dress that suited my wedding venue, didn't break the bank, and that I felt comfortable and beautiful wearing.  I tried on maybe about 7-8 dresses before making a final decision.  I was just sick and tired of trying on dresses and realizing the one I really wanted was out of my price range, so I just made a decision...partly due to the fact too that I had waited 9 months before my wedding to order a dress, so I had to be quick.

Photobucket

TigerBride515 Posts : 482 Registered: 10/15/08
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 10:25 AM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

Everyone has given you great advice so far. The only thing that stands out for that hasn't been mentioned is that when I tried on the dress I ended up buying I knew that FH would love it! That's what really helped me make the decision. I had a few dresses that I liked but when I put mine on I could just see his face when he saw me in it!

preview image

Message was edited by: TigerBride515

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 11:07 AM Go to message in response to: TigerBride515

My dress - made me feel it all! My first thought was= I Dont want to spend THAT much- then what will he think when he sees me- then does it make me look fat? lol I had an idea of what I want then I remeberd what "he" wanted.  After trying on several dresses and taking pic's and sending them to my MOH. I had put on the last dress and CRIED. That was the dress we bought.  But I will be honest with you...I questioned my dress for months on end.  Seeing all these "other" dresses I LOVED so much. It wasn't till I had my final fitting that I felt like this is deffinatly "the Dress".  And when I put it on that day-- boy I felt like I was wearing the best dress in the world.  Everyone still talks about it today.     

Check out my Album for wedding pics!

Megan0071234 Posts : 71 Registered: 8/24/08
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 11:29 AM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

I went shopping with a friend to try on dresses for her, and tried on some as well. I found one that I thought was great & I put down the deposit. But over the next few days I had serious buyers remorse. I just didn't feel right with the purchase. I cancelled that order & went to another store with just my mom. The first dress the saleswoman brought to me was THE ONE. It was exactly how I wanted to look. My mom agreed. I did try on about 10 dresses after that just to be sure. But I bought that dress & am so happy. Thats how I knew.

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 12:31 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

Welcome to the boards where will you find helpful ladies!  I tried on about 20 different dresses at three different stores.

I always felt like a woman in a white dress trying on the gowns.  I actually found a dress that I loved, but still didn't feel like "the one". 

My last destination I had an appointment at 10:00 am that Saturday.  I tried on the third dress and knew it was the one!  I actually felt like a bride instead of woman in a big white dress!

I was leaving the boutique at 10:30am.

You will know when it's the one just like when you knew about your fiance!

preview image

MissMac Posts : 142 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

One day when my mom and sister were getting on my nerves I took a detour into a bridal shop on my way to bed bath and beyond.  SO i picked out 7 dresses to try on and 6 of them not only fit me very well but they looked really good! I was thinking the same thing as you..how am I going to know which is the one.  One that I tried on was sooo beautiful and it looked soo sexy and classy and pretty on me...but it was waaay out of my range.  I knew it prior to trying it on but i just wanted to see how pretty it would be since it was so pretty hanging there.  That i beleive was a mistake because for the rest of that week i could not stop thinking about that dress but we have so much other stuff going on besides the wedding like trying to buy or first house that I could not be that irresponsible and but a dress for that much.  Also when beginning to plan i had already made my mind up that I would not go crazy and get a really expensive gown...especially since we are having a destination wedding...i kinda cancelled out the ball gown type (that usually cost so much) and settled on the fact that my dress should not cost to much at all.  So I want to go to a few other stores and try on a few more as well as go back and try on the first bunch...this time with another set of eyes...and hopefully I will get the one feeling...not just its really pretty.
True Love is gift from God

DAS824 Posts : 509 Registered: 8/24/07
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 4:15 PM Go to message in response to: MissMac

I wanted to respond to this because I felt like I'd never find "the one". It was so frustrating and disappointing to try on so many dresses and not have that awesome feeling of "holy crap! I look fantastic!"

I started looking at dresses seriously in about March of this year....our wedding is May 2009. I have tried on at least 40 dresses trying to find the perfect one. I kept finding ones that were very pretty and flattering, but nothing that just jumped out at me and screamed "pick me! pick me!". Some people really don't have that kind of experience and I assumed I'd be one of them since I never get too excited about clothes, shopping, etc. I am also a huuuuge second-guesser and always worry about my choices and if I've made the right one and whether or not I'll change my mind.

Last weekend, however, I believe I found it! FH and I decided to go dress shopping on a whim. He wanted to take me because my mom, sister, and my schedules are so crazy they hadn't been able to go for a while. We went and I tried on about 10 dresses that day. It was the 2nd gown I put on at the first store. FANTASTIC...for me, knowing it was "the one" was when I put it on and it wasn't even on all the way, I already loved it. It wasn't the right size and didn't zip, but I didn't care. For some reason it just hit me. I was smiling from ear to ear and it was just awesome.

I think maybe going into it with too much expectation can cloud your judgement and then you worry you'll never find it. That was definitely me over a month ago. I just gave up! I didn't want to shop anymore and thought I'd never find it. Just don't stress and hopefully it'll hit you when you least expect it!

Shauna C...I can't wait!!

dryden5 Posts : 330 Registered: 2/4/08
Posted: Nov 10, 2008 4:34 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

I think when you are going go in with an open mind.  Try on the ones that look "ugly" on the hangers.  I tried on prolly 30-50 dresses before I bought mine.  I think mine was "the One" becaus eof how everyone reacted.  i never think I look good so when I saw my mom and aunt tear up and BFF I knew this was it. 

Recently I had FH look through Bride magazines with me to see what styles he likes and I think he will love me in it.  Enjoy the experience. 

myspace wedding countdown

PinkHippo Posts : 53 Registered: 11/2/08
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

I just want to say thank you to everyone for giving me great advice!  I went shopping with a one of my BM yesturday and we happened to pass a brial store and said what the hell lets look.  They had by far the most dresses I have seen anywhere, the sales lady said they had over 200!  I must have tried on 20 dresses and we narrowed it down to my top 3 becasue after that many you can not possibly remember all of them.  The store associate came back with a hoop skirt becuase the dresses I like all have big pick ups on them.  I tried the first dress on again and I knew it was THE ONE!!!! I did not want to take it off.  It is the only dress I put on that made me feel like a bride and that I did not want to take off becuase I felt so pretty.  Although I am a huge second guesser so I am going to think on it for a few days and if I am still thinking about it then I know it has to be it.  It is by Alfred Angelo style number 1963,  but no gloves like in the pic.  I love it!! I went in with a clear head, not over stressed about finding it and I did!  Thanks everyone!!!

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Nov 19, 2008 9:11 AM Go to message in response to: PinkHippo

congratulations on finding a dress! I went to a small boutique that had a collection of sort of unique dresses. we pulled about 15-20 dresses we liked (MOH, mom, and me) and as I was going into the fitting room, they were taking another dress out from a previous bride. It seemed to be just what I was looking for so I had her keep it in there for me. It was the first one I tried on and I loved it. We compared all the others to it and it ended up being the one I got. It made my mom and me both cry. I just knew it the second I saw it.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine