Should I be impatient?

Online Users: 1,275 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

Morgan1981 Posts : 1 Registered: 11/7/08
Should I be impatient?
Posted: Nov 7, 2008 3:46 PM

Hello, I am new to brides.com.  I have been reading a bunch of what other people have said about waiting to be engaged.  I am in a similar boat except that I have no idea what my BF is waiting on.  We are both 27, out of college, have good jobs, stable households and are financially independent.  We have been together for almost three years and living together for about a year a half.  A bunch of our friends got married this year and last year and I was at first in no hurry and not paying much attention to the fact that we're not engaged yet.  Recently though, I have started having these feelings about our wedding and how much I want it now.  I never thought I would ever feel this ready but now I am starting to wonder what exactly he is waiting for.  We have talked about our wedding and even our kids but still no engagement.  Am I just being impatient or do I have reason to wonder?  My family and friends aren't helping the situation, constantly asking why he hasn't done it and that "everyone else has taken the plunge".  I just don't know how I feel right now. Any advice would be great, thank you!

MrsMaldonado Posts : 2,852 Registered: 3/7/07
Re: Should I be impatient?
Posted: Nov 7, 2008 3:52 PM Go to message in response to: Morgan1981

Hi Morgan!
Welcome to Brides.Com!
Ok, so you've been with your boyfriend long enough & you guys also live together. Your first step is to talk to him & see exactly what he has in store for the both of you. You will never know what he is thinking until you ask. You want to know if marriage or even engagement is in the near future & you do have a right to know. So go for it & see what he says. Of course, because how you word it because if he is not ready yet, the last thing you want to do is scare him away.

Just married!

September 27, 2008

CAKE.jpg picture by BellaEmy112

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Nov 7, 2008 4:06 PM Go to message in response to: Morgan1981

Morgan,

Have you tried talking to him and asking him why he hasn't proposed?

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket Photobucket  

Our Wedding Website 

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Nov 7, 2008 4:10 PM Go to message in response to: Morgan1981

Hi Morgan, welcome to the boards!  I would suggest talking to your boyfriend and seeing where his head is.  He may not be thinking that far into the future!

Once you talk to him and see where he is, you won't be wondering if you guys are on the same page or not!
Good luck and keep us posted!

preview image

MB85 Posts : 38 Registered: 11/7/08
Posted: Nov 11, 2008 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: Morgan1981

Hi Morgan!! How are you?

I think that you should not worry about it. He must be a step to give you the ring. Men always think a lot before taking any decision. 
Do knot press him to get married that may make him feel uncomfortable, 
tell him how you feel about it. 

Be patient,

Cool

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."

FutureLeoBride Posts : 63 Registered: 9/24/08
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 8:47 AM Go to message in response to: Morgan1981

Hey Morgan-

I think you and I might be living in the same world! If I were guessing, you have probably already tried talking to him about it right? What does he say? Does he have a reason/excuse? It can be infuriating. Sometimes it seems like they just don't have the urge or motivation like we do. Society has definitely perpetuated it since a single guy is a bachelor (which is cool), but a single girl is an old maid or spinster or something. LoL!

Marriage works because they had a shared sense of humor, mutual respect of an awesome
depth, faith that they were brought together by a force greater than themselves and
a love so unwavering and pure that it is sacred.
- Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

FutureLeoBride Posts : 63 Registered: 9/24/08
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 8:48 AM Go to message in response to: Morgan1981

duplicated

Message was edited by: FutureLeoBride

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Nov 12, 2008 9:04 AM Go to message in response to: FutureLeoBride

I had a similar event where everyone around me was getting engaged and we weren't. We had just purchased a town house and I was worrying about owning a house w/him and not being "official". I ended up going kind of crazy and bugging my guy when all along he had a plan. He said there were multiple times he almost proposed so I'd stop being sad, but that wasn't what he wanted to do. He ended up proposing our first night in our new place, which is what he wanted to do all along. So hang in there and let him do his thing, or you may end up ruining the surprise for yourself.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine