Hand me a paper bag...I'm hyper-ventilating

Online Users: 1,292 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

africanbride Posts : 65 Registered: 7/15/08
Hand me a paper bag...I'm hyper-ventilating
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 11:20 AM

I just posted on the birthday list and when I saw my ticker it said 5 months and 5 days. What?! How did that happen? Is that really the amount of time left? My to-do list for the wedding is still 5 pages long. Breathe, breathe.

Now I am really stressing, because between 15 December and 15 January most businesses in South Africa close for summer/Christmas. AND wedding vendors will be up to their arms busy with weddings. So subtract a month!

Will I ever get everything done in time? Does everyone have a freak-out such as this? Thank heavens I picked out my invitations today (colours and style at least) else I would really be freaking out.

Getting married 4th of April 2009.

To love a person is to learn the song that is in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten.

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Re: Hand me a paper bag...I'm hyper-ventilating
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: africanbride

Hang in there. It'll be ok.

Just breathe and take it one day at a time.

My DH did a to do list and just kind of worked our way down it.

Just Married...9.20.08

Formerly BenjaminsBride 

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: africanbride

african-

Make a TO DO list! I had to do lists for my to do lists.

Write down in some type of order what you need or have left to do. Then whenever you think of something you have to remember-write it on that list. You have no idea how much that helped me!

Other than that, five months is a little ways away so be sure you have the major things done like the venue, the dress, etc.

And relax. Planning should be exciting while you watch everything come together! Invitations are a very good start!

I promise you, everything will come together smoothly!

Linda Jo and Dean-July 19, 2008

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 5:48 PM Go to message in response to: africanbride

I've worked as a professional events planner and for every single event, I always hit the hyperventilating moment. OMG!!! There's too much to do! There's not enough time!! It'll never get done!! What made me think I could do this?!?!?! AGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I take a deep breath and calm down. Just make sure you put everything on the list and keep working on the list. There will be times when you feel like you're not making much progress. Ignore that feeling and keep going. You'll get there.

I also think it's important to give yourself time off. Take a day or a weekend and don't do any wedding tasks. Plan something fun and try to not even think about the wedding. It sounds like the summer/Christmas break will almost force you to do that. It's a good thing!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 6:27 PM Go to message in response to: africanbride

Today is EH & I's 5 month wedding annivesary and I know EXACTLY how you feel. I remember where I was 5 months BEFORE our wedding. Totally freaking out!!!!

YOU WILL BE FINE and EVERYTHING will come together. In 5 months you're going to be married!!! AHHHHHH That's so awesome!

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket Photobucket  

Our Wedding Website 

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 6:49 PM Go to message in response to: africanbride

I SO know what you mean and I think probably everyone here does, too.  You WILL get everything done, though.  Somehow everything seems to fall into place.  Make lists, get people to help you, you will be OK.

My big freak-out happened 2 weeks before my wedding.  I was sick during my planning (I'm still sick for that matter but whatever) and I was having a hard time dealing with being sick and in pain AND dealing with all those last minute things that pop up when you are least prepared to deal with them.  Thank goodness I have wonderful parents and they stepped up to the plate and REALLY helped me out.  Try to think of the people in your life who you can rely on- knowing that kind of thing in advance can help you a lot when the panic sets in!

BTW, it is so cool that you are in Africa as that is one of the places I have always wanted to go to, it just seems so amazing!!!  Now I know, though, that if I ever do plan a trip I need to avoid the month around Christmas!!!  lol

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

news-I know a little about your background. Were you sick during your wedding planning? I don't know how you did it but I give you so much credit. Not only for that but what you've been through.

Linda Jo and Dean-July 19, 2008

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 7:52 PM Go to message in response to: africanbride

You will get everything done, everyone goes through that "Oh shit, the wedding is almost here" stage!  LOL

Just don't procastinate and get things done in a timely fashion, so stress won't build up.

Good luck

preview image

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 8:38 PM Go to message in response to: africanbride

Dear AB,

Oh, yes, I went through the same thing. Still do before a big event.

It will all work out.

Here's something that helps me. I make a date-oriented "to do" list. It's a flow sheet that shows the date ranges in which something needs to be done. It really helps, as you can see if you are up to speed on everything with a deadline that has passed, if you are doing things that should be in progress now, and what you need to start and on what date.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine