STD question

Online Users: 1,229 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

projectmrscole Posts : 546 Registered: 12/29/07
STD question
Posted: Sep 26, 2008 9:47 PM

So, I am going to be making our Save The Dates and had a question about the wording. Here is a rough draft of what we had planned on putting:

The wedding is coming

We both can't wait

So please don't forget

To SAVE THE DATE

Brett Cole and Cassie Cowley

September 26th, 2009

Richmond, VA

Somewhere in smaller print at the bottom we were going to put "invitation to follow". But, I think that I saw somewhere that you are supposed to include the location of the venue on the STD as well? We just wanted it to be something short and simple. Something that doesn't include all of the details because that is what I thought the invitation was for. So, is what we had planned to use okay? Or are there other things that are supposed to be included that we are missing? Any ideas on how to make it better if we need to?

Message was edited by: projectmrscole

Message was edited by: projectmrscole

LaBoosLady Posts : 124 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: STD question
Posted: Sep 26, 2008 10:16 PM Go to message in response to: projectmrscole

Hi!  I think that looks great and I love your catchy poem Laughing.  If you have a wedding website, I'd add that but other than that, that's really all the info that goes on the STD.

wedding ticker

"He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD" - Proverbs 18:22

Chad Posts : 637 Registered: 10/3/06
Posted: Sep 28, 2008 9:50 AM Go to message in response to: projectmrscole

Actually, the invitation is to tell people the details of the event.  The STD is to give them details they need to plan their trip to the event.  So yes, you need the venue information.  You also need a lot more information.  You can find a template and some reasons why you should include more info at: http://tinyurl.com/29k6al

What you have above is cute.  But it doesn't actually help your guests, which makes it cute, but essentionally a waste of money.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

+++Really Useful Wedding Junk+++

BostonBride1982 Posts : 5 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 9:17 AM Go to message in response to: LaBoosLady

I agree, thats really all you need. The save the date has a purpose of letting people be aware you are getting married and to reserve the date indicated for your upcoming wedding. The only other details depend on the type of wedding you're having. A friend of mine is going to a wedding which will be on a carnival cruise so the STD included the travel agency to get information from and their wedding website to keep them up to date. 

All in all, if a regular kind of wedding then create a free wedding website where you can continually keep people posted (including accommodations, venue, etc) until the invitation are sent out. Otherwise, it looks good-nice poem. 

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

Posted: Oct 16, 2008 9:27 AM Go to message in response to: BostonBride1982

create a free wedding website where you can continually keep people posted

Do you really think people will continually visit a website for updates on your wedding?  I assure you, they won't.  They'll either call and ask for the info and she'll have to field numerous calls or they'll wait on the invitation.  If they wait, especially with today's economy, many will say "well we can't afford this coming so late in the game" and simply won't attend.

If you want people to attend, you need to give them the info they need as quickly as possible.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

iluvbeingnluv Posts : 11 Registered: 3/23/07
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: BostonBride1982

I agree - a save the date, is to let guests know of your date. The actual details do not need to be revealed until they receive the actual invitation.  You just want your guests to reserve the DATE of your wedding, hence the title "SAVE THE DATE"

GOOD LUCK!

Don't plan a wedding! Plan a future, and you will have a marriage with the beginnings of success!

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 10:47 AM Go to message in response to: iluvbeingnluv

Details will help guests know whether they can actually afford to save the date or not, especially in this economy.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 10:47 AM Go to message in response to: iluvbeingnluv

Details will help guests know whether they can actually afford to save the date or not, especially in this economy.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

iluvbeingnluv Posts : 11 Registered: 3/23/07
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: Chad

I don't think the actual location of the church is going to matter when planning to attend an event.

The only things necessary when sending out a save the date are

the actual date

and city,state location, and of course the bride and grooms names.

Don't plan a wedding! Plan a future, and you will have a marriage with the beginnings of success!

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: iluvbeingnluv

The locations might make a difference in a large city.  If your invitation says "Orlando" the difference between east and west is about an hour drive.  And that's providing you don't mean an hour north of the airport.  All of it is Orlando.  It may mean less in a small city, but small cities have their own issues like fewer or no hotels.

Also, who says the ceremony is in a Church at all?  If your wedding is outdoors, on a boat, on a beach, etc, there are considerations for clothing, shoes and even whether it's safe to have your child with you.  So knowing the exact location can help you pack, plan travel and accommodations and help your guests decide if they need/want a sitter.

If the wedding is in a 5-star hotel and I own 2-star clothing, it'd help to know that not only do I need to save for travel, accommodations, gifts, sitters and make arrangements for getting off work, but I need to buy new clothing too.

From the couple's perspective, it's less expensive to include it in STDs than in invitations.  In STDs, all pieces of info can go on 1 card.  In invitations, each type of info gets it's own insert, increasing printing costs and postage costs.

Want me to continue?  Because there are many other logistical reasons to include as much information as possible in the STD.

Chad ~ 11.19.05

Chaosgoddess Posts : 8 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: Chad

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d56/c … f/sdsb.jpg

im printing our STDs myself on a simple white cards stock with a pearlized white line border. we're going to put a rhinestone on the date for a little sparkle Laughing

Wedding Ticker

projectmrscole Posts : 546 Registered: 12/29/07
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: Chaosgoddess

Those are cute chaosgoddess! I'm making our STD's too. I have a picture...it's a little blurry but you get the idea. 

They have little flowers and pearls inside. I love them. :) 

SteffMay2009 Posts : 383 Registered: 10/22/08
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: Chad

We included names, date and time (important for travel arrangements), and location.

We just wanted people to know 1) we're getting married 2) you are invited 3) this is when it is. 

Chaosgoddess Posts : 8 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 12:29 AM Go to message in response to: projectmrscole

thank you Laughing

oh i love the little flowers, its so cute and creative!

Wedding Ticker

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine