Making a dress strapless

Online Users: 1,286 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

SillyMommy Posts : 5 Registered: 10/24/08
Making a dress strapless
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 8:22 PM

Hello ladies! I'm relatively new to this website but I'm so glad there is a forum because I have a question that I can't seem to find anywhere else.

So quickly, here's the deal: My grandmother passed down her wedding dress to my aunt, and I'm thinking about wearing it to mine. This dress isn't hugely sentimental, as it has been passed down mainly for the sake of costs. It's still quite a beautiful dress and if what I'm desiring to do with it doesn't cost more than a new one (I'm thinking David's Bridal prices...), I'll probably wear it. Here's the issue, my grandmother and aunt both wore the dress for Fall/Winter weddings, and I'm having a Spring wedding. The dress has 3/4 length sleeves and that will be much too much dress for me (especially as I overheat quickly)! Is there a way to have the sleeves removed to make it a strapless dress?

I look best in either halter-neck gowns or strapless, so if I couldn't make it strapless, I probably will just buy a new one with the neckline of my desire. But if it's possible to make it strapless, I would be interested in doing so, also based on cost. (The alterations not costing more than a new dress at approx $5-600.)

If anyone has any advice or can answer this question, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Re: Making a dress strapless
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 8:43 PM Go to message in response to: SillyMommy

Take the dress to a reputable seamstress and ask her about the alterations you wish to do.  She would be the best person to ask.  My MOH had a dress totally reworked by a seamstress and it only cost about $60. 

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

SillyMommy Posts : 5 Registered: 10/24/08
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 9:04 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Thanks so much for your feedback! If I can get the dress done for even close to an amount like that, then I will be able to save lots of money and still have a nice dress!

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Daisypath Wedding Ticker

www.Momentville.com/RickBrianna2010

shellysdesigns Posts : 2 Registered: 10/28/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 8:24 PM Go to message in response to: SillyMommy

You can definitely make your gown strapless or put small straps and even the halter style if you wanted. I am a seamstress and have made wedding gowns strapless and have added straps, sleeves, laces, etc. Doing this type of alteration should not cost much depending on how complicated the gown is. Hope this helps.  If you have any  more questions I would be glad to answer them for you. You can email me at shellyleppertdesigns@yahoo.com.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine