being a bridezilla?

Online Users: 1,271 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 21

bird620 Posts : 34 Registered: 4/12/08
being a bridezilla?
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 3:40 PM

Hi, ladies

So I just got my engagement pics, and overall, I'm very happy with them. However, when I was selecting locations for the pics, my photographer sent me samples of other engagement sessions. When I compare them, I see that we got significantly fewer shots than all of the samples I saw. We have 95, whereas the other couples have 111-181. I am happy with the pics, but I'm not sure whether to bring it up to my photographer or not. I don't want to nitpick or rock the boat but when you're spending over $1000 for pics, you want them to treat you the same as everyone else. Any thoughts?

LissaNicole Posts : 39 Registered: 7/10/08
Re: being a bridezilla?
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: bird620

You might want to consider that the other couples might have had longer sessions, thus more pictures. 

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: LissaNicole

Yes, but it was a pretty short session, so I'm wondering why she cut it short. I should've said something at the time, but I figured she knew what she was doing. But yea, if I didn't know that other couples had more photos, I'd be happy. It's just that I feel like we could have had even more wonderful shots if we'd had more time, which she seems to have given to other couples. Unfortunately, I didn't have a contract regarding how many shots or the length of the engagment session. So I still don't know whether I should say anything or just keep in mind that for the wedding I need to be very clear.

LissaNicole Posts : 39 Registered: 7/10/08
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 7:04 PM Go to message in response to: bird620

If you're happy with the pictures that you got, I don't think I would say anything about that because when you look at the long run, what are you going to do with 110 engagement shots?  But I would definately be very clear about what you expect on your wedding day and have it in the contract...i.e. how long she needs to be there, specific shots you want (cutting cake, toast, first dance, etc), what type of candids you care about and what you don't.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 7:44 PM Go to message in response to: LissaNicole

I don't see a problem with you asking her. Since there was no contract or or even, it sounds like, a verbal agreement about how many pics and how much time, you won't have any recourse. But maybe if you haven't paid her yet (or paid the entire fee, anyway) you could ask for a discount. She may not give it to you, but at least you asked. If you've already paid, maybe she'd be willing to give you a bonus of some sort--extra CD copy, extra prints if she's doing prints for you, etc.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 9:24 PM Go to message in response to: bird620

There are so many factors which go into determining how many photos are presented to a client especially for a wedding or an engagement session.  Your photographer may have taken the same number of photos as in other engagement sessions but due to blinks, yawns or other unflattering expressions, those photos could have been removed.  Next, without having been there, is it possible you were late to the session?  That would also cut into the amount of time for the engagement session.  Another problem could have been going to a location which provided limited opportunities for photos then by the time you arrived at another location you session time would have been over.  Furthermore, it is possible your photographer adjusts the e-session based on the size of the package purchased.  Or your photographer may have felt there were enough photos to make you happy.  

In the end, you have to determine the purpose of your engagement session.  I provide a complimentary one hour engagement session as an opportunity to get to know my clients better.  It also lets me to see how they react and interact in front of the camera.  Are my clients stiff, relaxed, reserved or affectionate?  It foreshadows what to expect the day of the wedding.  Couples typically see the e-session as a chance to have some photos for save the date cards or to sign at the wedding and to see if there are any problems with the photographer.  In the end, you have to decide if your expectations for your engagement session were met.  If not, then it is time to have a discussion with your photographer.  Please let me know if I can provide you with any additional assistance.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 10:09 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Actually I was on time, but she was late. She called to let me know though. She forgot her camera, so of course had to go home and get it.

When I compare to the couples who have more pictures, they all seem to be good pictures, versus doubles or mess-ups.

I guess my expectations were met. I just find myself wondering if we got the short end of the stick, since couples who were in the same location as we were got 20-50 more photos.

Another factor is that my fiance was starting to sweat as it was getting hotter. (We live in Texas). So I think the shoot was also cut short due to that. I am just kicking myself b/c then I thought it was short, I just didn't say anything.

Message was edited by: bird620

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 10:44 PM Go to message in response to: bird620

It seems to me that if she forgot her camera, then she should have made sure to have given you a complete session and not cut it short or reduced the number of photos you received in comparison to what others received.  Frankly, she screwed up.  Checking your gear is properly loaded and ready is vital anytime you leave for a job. 

Forgetting a camera is unprofessional.  I also wonder where was her backup camera(s)?  This raises more of a red flag to me than a reduced number of photos.  For if she forgot a camera for an engagement session and didn't have any backups with her then what will happen on your wedding day?  A day where there are no retakes!  

Meanwhile, I think you may have misunderstood another of my comments, that is she may have taken the same number but had to edit out more from your session than she normally does from other sessions.  Since you mention you DH became sweaty, more of those photos could have been edited out.  

At this point, I highly recommend a discussion with your photographer.  You should be given another engagement session if you so desire.  Another e-session will permit you to view your photographer in action once more before your wedding.  More importantly, you need to be assured your photographer will have all the gear she needs to photograph your wedding, including backup cameras in case her primary camera breaks.  Should you not be satisfied with the answers you receive or another problem occurs during your makeup engagement session, then perhaps you should look for another photographer. 

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 11:05 PM Go to message in response to: MagicalMomentsP...

Thanks for your feedback. I did misunderstand. I appreicate the clarification.

I don't know if I want to do another e-session, since we don't live in the same city, and I am happy with the pics. I guess I just wanted some validation that I'm not just being picky, so I appreciate your thoughts. I still may talk with her, since I feel a bit slighted.

Posted: Oct 25, 2008 11:45 PM Go to message in response to: bird620

Thank you all for your feedback. I felt I was justified in sending a non-defensive email mentioning that I was happy w/ the pics, but hoping for a few more shots, realizing that we had less time due to her forgetting the camera and b/c my fiance was starting to sweat.

Thanks for helping me make a decision. I'll let you know what happens.

KatharineC Posts : 940 Registered: 2/6/08
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 3:04 PM Go to message in response to: bird620

I think that was a good move. The last thing you want to do is make her defensive and annoyed with you. Some people would make sure to do an extra good job at your wedding to make up for it, but others could and would take terrible photos on purpose just because they're angry. Or even just not do the best they could do, but nothing you could really complain about. It all depends what type of person your photographer is. Unfortunately we've all met people of the latter kind.

Free wedding ticker

Posted: Oct 26, 2008 9:57 PM Go to message in response to: KatharineC

Update! So my photographer replied cheerfully and explained that she was more selective in choosing what shots to post, but that she had 25 extra shots that were duplicates, etc. So Howard, you were right. I just feel better knowing that she treated us just like every other couple and didn't shortchange us.

I'm still glad I asked her, b/c otherwise it would still be on my mind. So if anyone else is in my situation, I'd recommend keeping an open line of communication with your photographer. As long as you are polite and respectful, I think it's best to get all your questions answered. Otherwise you could make assumptions, like I did, when you don't know the full story.

Well after all that mini-drama, I thought I'd post my engagements shots. Here they are: www.etcstudios.net/BHALL.

Message was edited by: bird620

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 10:44 PM Go to message in response to: bird620

Bird - this is a perfect example of how to handle a question and potential problem in a mature, informed manner.  I commend you.  Also, I'm sure that it will give you a piece of mind.

I tried to see your pics, but my computer is acting up.  I'm sure they are WONDERFUL!!!  Congrats!

Posted: Oct 27, 2008 12:29 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Thanks, PharmToxGirl :). You have to install the Photodex Presenter to get the slideshow to work. I am having the CD mailed to me. I'll upload some directly when I get them.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 6:57 AM Go to message in response to: bird620

Yeah I did, but it still was giving me trouble.  I have a new computer, so it's a little persnickety. 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine