Nail Biter: Help!

Online Users: 1,341 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Nail Biter: Help!
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 7:57 PM

I'm a nail biter. Have been as long as I can remember. Nail polish didn't help (having it on my fingers made them more likely to be chewed). Can't get a manicure because no one will work on my fingers. Any suggestions?

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Re: Nail Biter: Help!
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 10:22 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

We were able to break my son from biting his nail, thanks to a product from Sally's Beauty Supply.  It is basically a "bitter apple" type of application that you apply to your nails.  I sampled it and it was HORRIBlE, worse than any soap my mother ever washed my mouth with as a kid.  Any time my son tried to bite his nails, he would get this terrible taste in his mouth.  Within 2 weeks he was broken from the habit (Pavlov in reverse).

Love2uKiss

122 105 17 0
RSVP Date September 24

Necolei Posts : 207 Registered: 7/31/06
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 10:36 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

I am a major nail biter too. The only thing that has ever worked for me but it takes awhile. Is when I was pregnant and on prenatal vitamins I stopped biting my nails without even knowing it. They have vitamins for healthy nails and hair so I'm sure those vitamins would work just as well. However about 4 months after I staopped taking the vitamins I started back up.

That bitter apple stuff sounds like it may work too. I just dunno how long it would be before I went back to biting my nails again.

SmileDon't settle for what you can live with,

Settle for what you can't live withoutLaughing

mngawedding Posts : 32 Registered: 7/20/08
Posted: Oct 25, 2008 11:22 PM Go to message in response to: Necolei

that bitter nail stuff works like a miracle -- be warned, it smells nasty as well as tasting nasty, i lost a few pounds when i used it because i didn't want my hands anywhere near my face (thus making it difficult to eat !)

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 12:02 AM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

If you really can't break the habit, and lets face it breaking habits while wedding planning is tough, then have artificial nails put on. My nails have a tendency to break plus I can't stand long nails  either when typing, weightlifting or lets face it when I have to pee really bad! so I went to the salon and had some put on. I can't remember what type it was but they cost about $30 - $40. They last really long and I literally trimmed them down like regular nails after the wedding. They were really hard to take off and my nails took awhile to recover but if you are already a biter they won't look that different. The bottom line was  - ON THE DAY THEY WERE BEAUTIFUL.  

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 2:45 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

that 'nasty tasting' stuff to put on your nails stop ya from biting them doesn't work, esp if you've been biting your nails for years. we've tried it various times throughout the years and it doesn't stop me.

what usually gets me to back off biting em is keeping them polished, as i hate getting the paint chips stuck in my teeth and gums when im out in public, so that got me to refrain before my wedding, but you said the polish only makes you bite them more...

i would recommend getting a set of fake nails put on the day before your wedding. you can either DIY and buy em for under $10 at Walmart or a beauty store like Ulta (I did that for my senior prom in high school) or go to a salon that does acrylic and have them do it professionally. One of my BMs did fake nails and they looked perfectly normal.

Is it possible to train yourself to only bite one of your nails, so the rest are long and you can put a fake on the lone one right before? I ask because I noticed that even though I kept mine my polished so I'd let them grow, I still gnaw on one of them regularly so that one never grows and when it does, I bite it (although my problem isn't just my nails - I bite the skin around the nails too and it doesn't help that I'm constantly picking/trimming my cuticles too). 

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Oct 26, 2008 9:08 PM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

I'm trying to go mind over matter. I will try the bitter stuff and see if it works. I'm a little wary of fake nails and really want my beautiful real ones on the big day. I'll let y'all know what happens!

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

brideincanada Posts : 133 Registered: 1/30/08
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 6:54 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

Hey Knoxvegas, like you I've bitten my nails for as long as I can remember.  When I was in elementary school my mom tried using the bitter apple stuff on my fingers and it worked for a little while until I figured out that if I washed my hands/ran my fingers under the water fountain at school the bad taste went away and I could bite them again (I was a sneaky little kid).  I have since tired everything I can to grow them out  and I find that with polish on I no longer bite them (but if one happens to break or split, watch out!).  Unfortunately my nails are very weak, plus when they start to get long they grow funny.  Now when I say the grow funny it's that they don't grow straight.  If you look at my fingers with the ends pointing towards you it's obvious that the nails curve down towards the tip of my finger (but it's not always the whole end of the nail that curves, sometimes it's only half of the tip).  Do any of you former nail munchers have the same problem?

Up until Monday I had all my nails at a nice length and then broke three of them in one day at work!  Man was I pi$$ed.  So now I'm going to have to get at least fake tips put on for the wedding next weekend.

Let me know if you find something that works for you, because I'm willing to try anything!

Necolei Posts : 207 Registered: 7/31/06
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 7:30 PM Go to message in response to: brideincanada

Oh my gosh my nails do the same thing. They grow in funny because I bite my nails. Mine don't go under but I understand what your talking about. Mine tend to get wider and wider the longer the grow it's crazy

SmileDon't settle for what you can live with,

Settle for what you can't live withoutLaughing

SocalGal Posts : 456 Registered: 6/3/06
Posted: Oct 30, 2008 9:05 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

I'm a terrible nail biter as well, and I second the acrylic nails...when my nails do grow out, they're really thin and have a tendency break.  But, please reconsider going to a chop shop nail place...you know, the ones where they do the acrylics in all of 40 minutes.  They're notorious for harming cuticles, and some of them don't sanitize the tools...I've known people who've gotten really bad infections because of that.  Find someone who will take the time to do them well...you'll pay more for them, but they'll last longer and look better. 

True love never has a happy ending; true love never ends.

brideincanada Posts : 133 Registered: 1/30/08
Posted: Oct 31, 2008 10:28 AM Go to message in response to: SocalGal

I'm going to the same nail salon my sister goes to and she's had gel nails since her wedding 2-1/2 years ago, so I'm not too worried about them.

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 3:27 AM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine