Recieving Line / Timing Problems - HELP!

Online Users: 1,252 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

mnewman84 Posts : 8 Registered: 7/26/08
Recieving Line / Timing Problems - HELP!
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 4:49 PM

Okay so i'm running into a small problem. My Wedding is in 2010 so i know i shouldnt worry this early, but we are trying to plan early. First things first, i'm having a friday night wedding, and the chapel we are getting married in is pretty strict (it was built in the 1800s). The earliest timing they had for a ceremony was 5:30 - 6:30 (5pm set up time). We are not having a mass, just a small 30 - 45 minute ceremony, but we MUST be out of there by 6:30.

Here is my problem - im very traditional, so i do not want to see mike before the ceremony. The photogs say it should be fine, but i'm scared all of our pics will have to be inside - being that 6:30 is too late / too dark for pix? The actual date is 10/29/2010.

The second problem is (i dont mind missing some) our cocktail hour starts at 7pm (wedding 8 - 12). I'm thinking of skipping the recieving line completely. Would that be horrible? Ive never been to a wedding - so i'm going in blind-sided! Also, i dont want to press the guests for time (the recep site is 15 mins away)

Basically, i'm just asking for a little advice - good or bad, and what you think I should do. I basically want pictures outside in the beautiful autumn scene, dont want the line, and dont want to press my guests for time. Thanks for everyones help!

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Re: Recieving Line / Timing Problems - HELP!
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 5:09 PM Go to message in response to: mnewman84

As for the time to do pictures, it depends on where you are, that's a tough one.  Here, it is dark around that time. Would you be absolutely against seeing each other beforehand? I thought I would be but we decided to see each other, and those are my favorite moments and pictures, capturing the emotion of seeing each other for the first time, all alone, and then it frees up the time after the ceremony. If you do not want to do this, you could do all the rest of the photos beforehand (you with BM's, your family, your FH will do his pictures with the groomsmen) so that you only have a few pictures left to take after the ceremony. I'd ask the photographer if you could still get outdoor photos, it really depends on your location.

As for the receiving line, we skipped it. No one cared, we just made a point to stop by each table right after dinner and say hello.

And this would also solve the problem of how much time your guests have to get to the reception site. Good luck! 

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: mnewman84

Okay. Ill take this in the order of your questions:

Pictures outside. If you are defaintely set on not seeing the Groom before the ceremony but you still want pictures outside, there are two things you can do to make sure this happens. The first thing is to plan on you and your Bridal party and maybe parents - basically everyone BUT the Groom - arriving to the church for the 5pm setup time. This way you can get some pictures outside of the church with your Bridal Party and immediate family. The second thing you can do is to make sure your ceremony is closer to 30minutes long rather than 45minutes long. This way you will get done around 6pm and still have a BIT of time before its totally dark. You can get a FEW pictures as you exit the church - and if its still light enough out; have your photographer take a few THEN of you and your husband before you both head off to the reception.

As far as a Reception Line - I wouldnt worry about it. Some people do them, others dont. The purpose of the line is so that your guests get a chance to congratulate you, say Hello, and SEE the Bride and Groom and spend a moment with them. So if you dont do it, just make sure you make some time during the reception itself to mingle with your guests. (We passed our favors around from table to table during dessert, and thats how we made sure to see everyone personally.)

So - if you do pictures not involving the Groom BEFORE the ceremony, make sure your ceremony ends around 6pm, and dont do a receiving line - you should be able to get some outdoor shots AND be over at the reception hall in time to join in on the cocktail hour; at least partially.

Also - to avoid people milling about the church afterwards and forming their own "forced" receiving line - it might be a good idea to have your Priest make an announcement at the end of the ceremony that the cocktail hour will immediately follow and to please head over to the venue.

Either that, or you could do a mad DASH exit out of the church and directly into a limousine or your ride - this way noone will have a chance to attack you with love, kisses, and hugs lol.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

WATCH OUT "Bleight-ers".TEAM KICK-ASS (LittleRoo,Cyclist,MrsFord,OldAmy and Kelley) are going to KICK. YOUR. ASS!!!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

mnewman84 Posts : 8 Registered: 7/26/08
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 5:33 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

wow, thank you two so much! it know those are silly questions, but like i said ive never been to a wedding - so i have no clue! thanks again!

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Attack of the HUGS! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: mnewman84

Not silly at all. If youve never done this stuff before, no reason why youd know how it all works!:)

I would also recommend hiring a Day of Coordinator who would make sure your day runs smoothly - and also help you out with all of these timing logistics; taking care of guests and letting you and your family RELAX the day of your wedding.

I just noticed you are in NJ. Im a Coordinator and also live in NJ. Please feel free to contact me anytime at my below site if you should decide to look into this option.:)

WATCH OUT "Bleight-ers".TEAM KICK-ASS (LittleRoo,Cyclist,MrsFord,OldAmy and Kelley) are going to KICK. YOUR. ASS!!!

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

Beachwed Posts : 782 Registered: 9/19/06
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 5:52 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Not pushing business or anything but a day of coordinator is SUCH a help. Apparently a lot went wrong on our wedding day, but I didn't know about any of it, which is all I wanted. To be able to relax and enjoy myself without running around trying to find the florist or the cake servers was great, and my family appreciated it as well so that they could also enjoy the day. It's a great help!

Posted: Oct 22, 2008 6:02 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

Thanks Beachwed:)

And also - a Coordinator can fight off the ATTACK OF THE HUGS and get you outta there before that happens LOL.

Nala - From the people who brought you Attack of the Killer Tomatoes comes.... ATTACK OF THE HUGS!!!! Rated R.

Message was edited by: kelleyiskelley

MrsRicecake Posts : 700 Registered: 2/2/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2008 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: mnewman84

My wedding is this December at 4pm. The wedding should be over by 430 and then we will be doing pictures they shouldnt last longer than 5. Then we want to go over to the reception site and have outdoor pictures. It will most likely be getting dark by then, but my photographer said they will not have a problem.

Going to the chapel and we're gonna get married! December 27, 2008!

http://alaireandclayton.weddings.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine