DIY Invitations

Online Users: 1,257 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

Thepalchers Posts : 146 Registered: 8/23/08
DIY Invitations
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 3:16 PM

Well, I've decided to go ahead and DIY my invitations. My MOH said she'd be happy to help and now all I have left is finding a great looking (affordable) Wedding Invitation Kit. I've googled Invite Kits and found a few websites, but I want to hear what others have to say about DIY invites. Yes I know it's a lot more work, etc. but I really can't afford to have them printed for me.  Besides I'm good with computers and have to do formatting things for my job all the time. I just want to hear experiences from you DIY Fanatics out there :)

To be in love is the greatest gift of all, to be best friends with the person you'll always love is twice as nice, but to have a mature conversation about a disagreement is the most amazing thing I could ever ask for.

count down to your wedding

soon2b2010 Posts : 13 Registered: 4/6/07
Re: DIY Invitations
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 5:29 PM Go to message in response to: Thepalchers

I saw good sets at the local craft stores some of them were even the ones with the pockets(Which i thik it so cute) I would suggest checking them out. That way you see what your buying before hand. Some of these online sites you cant really see them especially if they are white.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: soon2b2010

I'm not sure if you'd be interested in this, but I actually did mine from scratch with no kit.  I didn't really like the "cookie cutter" look of a lot of the kits and they were much too big for me, so I bought each sheet of paper myself at a Michaels and cut them to size and then layered them . Here's the picture of the finished product:

It was one layer of cardstock, one layer of handmade (not by me! LOL) petal paper, and then one layer of vellum, on which I printed the words. Then I used vellum glue strips and a glue stick to glue it all together.  I bought 12x12 sheets of paper and hten cut it in to 4x6 size pieces, so I could get 6 per page.  It was a lot of work but it was totally original! It would go fast if you coudl get an assembly line going! hehe And Michaels coupons are the BEST!

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

deltagirl Posts : 516 Registered: 12/30/06
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 6:02 PM Go to message in response to: Thepalchers

Try http://www.textstyledesigns.com/ 

http://www.paperandmore.com/index.html

I used both of those websites for programs, menu cards, and table names. The service from textstyle designs is actually very personal. I found their website a little confusing to navigate, so I just kept sending e-mail message asking questions. I was very happy with the final product.

www.brides.com/weddingwebsite/trinaandron2008

Thepalchers Posts : 146 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 7:23 PM Go to message in response to: Nalamienea

You know Nala, I really love the idea of doing them from scratch I look around at a lot of the invites and I just don't see anything that matches what I want. I guess the only way to get something done the way you want it done, is to do it yourself eh?

I'm going to look around in person at some stores in the next few months and start getting things going with the invites so I'm not scrambling later. I'm doing a lot of DIY projects for our wedding.  I want to do the flowers myself, my grandmother used to do her own floral arrangements around the house so I'm going to at least get enough to do one and see if I can do it alright.  I don't think I'll use fresh.  There have been a lot of developments with silk florals and their looks.  The DIY projects keep me entertained when I would  be stressing or just freaking out. It's also nice to fee like you're personally creating your wedding. 

To be in love is the greatest gift of all, to be best friends with the person you'll always love is twice as nice, but to have a mature conversation about a disagreement is the most amazing thing I could ever ask for.

count down to your wedding

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine