Wedding date woes...UPDATE!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 32

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Re: Wedding date woes...
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Personally, I think a Halloween wedding would be super cool, but I love Halloween.

But regarding Fridays--I agree they're more of a pain to attend than Saturdays, but the people who are most important to you will make the effort to attend. One of my good friends who's about a 2-hour drive away had her wedding on a Thursday morning. Yes, it was kind of a pain, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world and it was a blast.

I think one advantage to having it on a Friday is that it's more likely that your wedding guests will comprised of the most important people in your life, because anyone you don't have as close a relationship with will be less likely to show up.

Elbelle77 Posts : 222 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 7:56 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

Friday weddings are definitely becoming more and more common.  If most of your guests are local, then I don't think it would be a big deal.  

Did you look into a Sunday wedding at all?  I know most people wouldn't want to stay out late on Sunday night and then go into work on Monday, but Columbus day is in October and people might already have that day off.  Just a thought.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 8:12 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

anything past early/mid November is too cold.

Too cold for what? Are you planning an outdoor affair? if so, then I understand. But, if the wedding will be indoors, then late November, very early December should work fine (avoiding Thanksgiving and Christmas, of course). And, of course, an alternative day works, too.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 8:14 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

Ok so I didn't read everyones responses, because I got too excited about the whole Halloween idea!  It is my favorite holiday! 

For starters, I would probably be annoyed by a Friday wedding. I work Monday-Friday and do not have a job that I can just "call in sick" or even take vacations for that matter without feeling horrible. I also can't afford to take a day off. I would probably do it if the person was important enough to me, but I would rather not. 

Now on to this whole Halloween idea. Now you don't have to have a Halloween wedding, BUT maybe for the kids you could have a costume reception. They can wear their regular outfits to the ceremony, but then for the reception they can change into their costume. Then  at each of the tables, and also at the guest book and even with the DJ you can have different candy. You could also have a cute little bag for them(that can be their favor) and then they can go trick or treating at all the different tables. I am sure all the people working the wedding would join in on the fun and they can stick candy in their aprons. It could be so fun and so cute!!!

ciscokid Posts : 119 Registered: 8/8/07
Posted: Oct 14, 2008 9:03 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I'm going to be the odd one out here on the Halloween deal. I would HATE having my anniversary be on Halloween. But that's a personal thing, and you know better than we do how you would feel about that.

Would having a Sunday afternoon wedding be easier for you? I don't know how late flights out of your town would be available, but if you had the wedding, say, around 1 p.m., and the last flight out was around 7 that evening, people would probably have time depending on the type of reception you are planning on having. Just an idea. :-) 

NotOfThisWorld Posts : 153 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 12:46 AM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

like the other ladies in here said, a friday wedding would be good too! or a sunday wedding. thats what i'm gonna do also. but halloween? i wouldnt wanna get married on halloween. thats just wierd to me. your guests are gonna come regardless of the day. ppl attend wedding every single day of the week. they love you and they wanna share that moment with you! they'll come! and i know what you mean about that GA weather. i recently moved to AZ from GA. i'm getting married in june next year and its gonna be 115 degrees of dry heat over here. i really wanted an outdoor wedding but thats completely out of the question. lol i'm thinking of a friday wedding because its cheaper. and its also cheaper to have my wedding in the summer because its too hot! so i'll save thousands! yay! i would wait till it cooled down to have my dream outdoor wedding but thats not till october. my fiance comes back from iraq in april and we wanna get married already! so june it is! what did you decide?

ilove.gif picture by Khrystyne

USMC Fiancee

(I can legally mess with government property:)

Missing my deployed Marine

Lovinlyfe Posts : 39 Registered: 8/14/08
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 9:12 AM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

I guess we are split about 50/50. I would not like to have my wedding on halloween. I think several good ideas for a halloween wedding though have been provided. Personally about a Friday wedding...I was debating having mine on a friday similar to the same reason...the church i wanted wasn't available on saturday. we ended up just changing the church. everyone i talked to when i was thinking of having a friday wedding said they would definitely be there. any oot guests i had would have come in for the week. I think most of us agree that everyone will try be there for you and your special day because they care about you. i would have absolutely no problem taking time off from work to go to a wedding for any of my friends or family no matter what day or time it was. So I say do what's best for you. That's my opinion and my opinion only. Keep us posted on what you decide.

"When two hearts race....both win!"

Message was edited by: Lovinlyfe

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 10:53 AM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

Again, thanks for all of your responses. We won't be able to make a decision until we meet with the church next Friday. But I will definitely keep you posted when we figure it out!

As for the Sunday idea, our church has services basically all day so we can't have it on a Sunday. Plus, we're planning on a 6 or 7:00 reception, with an open bar, and we really want it to be a fun, late night event. Which clearly won't work on a Sunday. LOL. But since we can't have it on a Sunday at the church anyway, I guess it doesn't matter. 

Oh, and I talked to FH last night and he said he'd be fine with a Friday wedding. He's not too crazy about the Halloween idea either. We could make it work, but at this point the plan is to look into a Friday. 

I'm getting excited.... you ladies made me feel so much better! Now lets just hope the church and the reception venue have a Friday available!

Re: Wedding date woes...UPDATE (kinda)
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

Ok so I don't wanna get too excited, but I just called the reception venue and every Friday in October is open!!! So I've put 10/2/09 on hold. We meet with the church this Friday, and if that date is open on their end, we'll finally have a wedding date!

The lady at the reception venue also told me she would call me if they booked any of the other Fridays in October, so that just in case 10/2 is booked already at the church, we'll know our options going in. 

So think good thoughts for me for the next 4 days.... I'm so excited and nervous now!

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 1:18 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

"We are planning on having the wedding at 5 or 6,"

I would say go for the later time.  Many people work until 5.  As a woman who takes forever to get ready (ha ha) and who would not want to show up last-minute, I would probably need to leave work a bit early anyway even for a 6pm wedding.  So I say go with the later.

And to cut time between the ceremony and reception (so that the reception doesn't start super-late) you coudl do some of your pictures ahead of time.  You might not want to do ones of the TWO of you early, of course.  But maybe take care of the bridemaids pictures, brides and her family, etc. if it's possibly.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 1:25 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Yeah, I've re-thought that since I wrote it. We're thinking 6 or 6:30 now.

And we're definitely gonna take all the pictures that we can beforehand, minus the ones with both of us because FH really doesn't want to see me until I'm walking down the aisle, and I agree :)

The reception venue is only about 10 minutes away from the church, and so we're gonna do a cocktail hour while we finish pictures, but I can't imagine the pictures will actually take more than a half hour so there should be minimal waiting time.

deltagirl Posts : 516 Registered: 12/30/06
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

FutureMrsCP3-

It was fun to read the progression of your posts on this thread. They went from sounding totally frustrated to excited!

There is some really good advice on here.

I think a Friday evening wedding is fine.If people want to be there they will make the arrangements to do so. I get tired of hearing peole act like the Bride is being unreasonable by picking a certain date or time.

My job requires me to work everyother weekend - I don't get aggravated because a wedding falls on the weekend I'm supposed to work. I just make arrangement so I can attend.

So someone who works M-F has to change their workday habit for one day - whoop-de-do!

Stick with the Friday wedding...it will be a blast! 

www.brides.com/weddingwebsite/trinaandron2008

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 5:11 PM Go to message in response to: deltagirl

Delta: Thanks! I do feel a little silly for being so frustrated, but I really didn't know anything about being a guest at a Friday wedding until I posted on here and everyone made me feel so much better! You ladies never disappoint :)

Lorilee Posts : 437 Registered: 12/18/07
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 5:17 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

I'll warn you; a 6 and later wedding in October can be a bit chilly; make sure you have at least a light shawl to keep warm. But everything else sounds spot on and wonderful!

Lori & Bob
October 11, 2008

Daisypath Wedding Ticker

Re: Wedding date woes...UPDATE!!!
Posted: Oct 27, 2008 11:24 AM Go to message in response to: Lorilee

UPDATE:

So Friday we met with the church, and found out they don't do Friday weddings at all! So needless to say, I had a bit of a rough weekend trying to figure out what to do.

Then this morning, the lady from the reception venue called and told me that Saturday, October 24th became available as of this morning!!! So I called the church, and they had that date available as well, so I booked it!!!!!!!!! I am so excited, it's unreal. 

And today's FH's birthday, so I'm sure me no longer being so stressed out and crazy about all this is an awesome present for him. LOL

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine