Summer 2010 Brides

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

WharfHouseBride Posts : 514 Registered: 7/3/07
Summer 2010 Brides
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 3:05 PM

I know it's a long shot, but I was wondering if there are any other brides planning weddings for the summer of 2010? My FH and I got engaged at Christmas but just put down a deposit on our venue last month (out of sheer laziness) for May 29th. We live in central NJ but our wedding will be in SW Florida near my parents at a beautiful resort. With 20 months to go, I'm not really sure what to do next, or if it's even worth it to focus on planning at this point, so I was wondering how other brides are coping with the long wait. Let's chat!

brix24 Posts : 165 Registered: 8/3/08
Re: Summer 2010 Brides
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 8:30 PM Go to message in response to: WharfHouseBride

Count me in! 10 July 2010 is my big day...

But it will be a winter wedding for me in my neck of the woods!  And FH & I have heaps of things sorted already :) 

free happiness with every moment!

LissaNicole Posts : 39 Registered: 7/10/08
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 8:55 PM Go to message in response to: WharfHouseBride

Ours will be a Spring 2010 wedding. We got engaged July 4, 2008, and are shooting for an April 2010 wedding.  I found a venue that I love that I need to call and make an appointment with to check it out.  I also have 2 dresses that I am dying to try on already lol but I'm afraid of falling in love with a dress now, and then in the year and a half we have I'll find another one that I love more.

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 9:24 PM Go to message in response to: LissaNicole

May 30, 2010! We've already got some things picked out but nothing set in stone. I'm living in St. Louis right now and FH is living in Springfield, MO. I'm moving down there in December. That's when we'll do tours and make a down payment. I've alreayd started emailing different vendors though to do price comparisons and such. I'm not looking for a dress because about 6 months ago while searching for a friends wedding, I absolutely fell in love with the perfect dress. Well, now its discontinued and everything else just seems second best. So I don't want to start looking again until I can buy it! We've got a theme: fairy tale. Colors: pool, scarlet/cheery, glass green, and light lavender. We're considering doing all different shades of purple though as accents! The ceremony will take place outside (around 11am) followed by an indoor reception hopefully to be over by 5, no alter than 7. We're keeping it small (we're at 47 guests right now). And want everything to be elaborate, elegant, magical, and royal. I've got my maid of honor and one bridesmaid picked out. He's got his two groomsmen picked out but can't decide to which one to make best man. His childhood pastor will be marrying us :) He's been a real shoulder for us during hard times in our relationship. His grandma will be playing the keyboard (since we can't drag a piano into a garden!) at our ceremony, she's wonderful. My MOH has been my best friend since the 6th grade. We're extremely clsoe and she's so eager to help since her wedding is not until 2012 or 2013 (her parents are willing to pay ALL EXPENSES -- including honeymoon--if she waits til she graduates college). Um what else? I hoping to be delivered by horse drawn carriage but that depends on what our budget ends up being. We'd also like champaigne fountains. I'm hiring a p/t wedding planner as well. I think thats it for now ... so excited there's other 2010 brides! I'm getting anxious!

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

firefightersbri... Posts : 49 Registered: 7/7/08
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 9:38 AM Go to message in response to: WharfHouseBride

We're getting married July 3, 2010.  We're looking at venues for the reception right now because we really want it at a fire hall and it has to be big enough for 200 - 300 people.  Yeah, I've been wondering if planning was such a good idea so early but I'm so excited, lol, it's hard not to.

LissaNicole Posts : 39 Registered: 7/10/08
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 10:04 AM Go to message in response to: firefightersbri...

Fire: 

I am marrying a Vol FF, too!  He's a full-time EMT (will be Paramedic come December).  One of his co-workers had a casual FF/4th of July themed wedding. 

WharfHouseBride Posts : 514 Registered: 7/3/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 3:17 PM Go to message in response to: LissaNicole

So I'm not the only one! FH and I drug our feet so much about picking a date it started to frustrate our families. We tend to over-think things a bit and we couldn't make a decision. When we found the resort in Florida (actually my mom and sister scouted it out for us) we hadn't intended to put down a deposit so far out, but since we wanted a holiday weekend the event coordinator suggested we book the date so we wouldn't get bumped for a bigger group. Thankfully I had enough cash on hand. 

Setting a date was so difficult for us because we were dealing with so many factors. We wanted it to be affordable for our OOT guests to travel, so we needed to do it after Easter when the hotel and flights go down. BUT we wanted to do an outdoor ceremony and cocktail hour, so we couldn't push it too far into the summer when the temperatures go up and it rains daily. On top of that, most of the women in FH's family are public school teachers, and since they've only had brides for the last 45 years, all the weddings have been planned on their terms during July and August. Needless to say, the weeks leading up to us setting the date were pretty tense in our house; FH was embarassed at how difficult his family was being, but he was also trying to be a good son. At this point, if anyone has any objections to our date, they can stay home!

Our ceremony is going to be at 6:30 on a lanai overlooking the resort's pools/fountains, and then our cocktail hour will be in a private courtyard that has these wonderful banyan trees and tropical foliage. Our reception will go until midnight in one of the ballrooms. I can post pictures if anyone is interested in seeing the spaces. 

We're expecting about 80 people, give or take. I have a lot of family in Florida and the Caribbean, so it's really a"semi-DW". Our ballroom is really one very large space divided by airwalls into three smaller rooms, one of which would be sufficient for our group, but our coordinator reserved two portions for us in case our numbers grow or we do a band setup. We haven't decided on a band yet so we might use the extra space to set up a comfy lounge if we can find room in the buget for furniture rental. 

Uhhh, what else? We don't have any "theme" persay, but we have a very distinct style that we've decorated our home in and we'd like to bring into our wedding. Very sleek and modern, with some South/Southeast Asian touches (I'm working on my PHd in anthropology and my study area is South Asia). We're huge foodies as well, so we're putting a tremendous amount of consideration and energy (and money) into the menu; lots of fresh, tropical dishes and drinks that reflect both my West Indian heritage and where we're going on our honeymoon (Thailand)

As for dresses, I'm terrified to walk into a store. Dress shopping has always stressed me out because I'm a difficult fit, so I'm going to wait until the spring and hopefully I'll be in better shape and won't feel completely embarassed to walk into Kleinfelds or any of the other bridal salons in the city. 

LisaSummerBride2B Posts : 126 Registered: 8/10/08
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 3:21 PM Go to message in response to: WharfHouseBride

Congrats ladies!

We are planning for a June 19th, 2010 wedding, if everything goes as planned (he doesn't have a emergency deployment or any type of deployment).

-Lisa-
Surviving our first deployment

AJBJ Posts : 1 Registered: 10/27/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 12:56 PM Go to message in response to: WharfHouseBride

I'm in the same boat. Ours is May 8th 2010 - Simply because our venue was booked up through next year and then you cant get married in the greek church during lent (which blocks out february, march and april) and January is too cold in Boston. All i've done so far is put the deposit on the venue and check the church availability (they don't even have a 2010 calendar up yet, so they put a sticky note down in march 2009 when the 2010 calendar comes out)
The next few things I think we need to do are decide on the attendants, find a photographer, florist and DJ. If we can do those by march, i'll be happy.

TheNextMrsDunn Posts : 19 Registered: 12/4/08
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:06 PM Go to message in response to: WharfHouseBride

Hi everyone! We are getting married on May 1st, 2010. It just seems forever away!! So far we have our hall, photographer, and videographer booked. Color wise we are still in the debate mode. I want Purple and Silver and FH wants Blue and Silver. Hmm should be interesting to see who wins! I'm so glad that there is others on here that are waiting this looong wait with me! I just want it to be here now! =)

jll44 Posts : 4 Registered: 8/1/08
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 1:13 AM Go to message in response to: TheNextMrsDunn

why dont you guys just use purple blue and silver instead of just picking one its a beautiful color combo

TheNextMrsDunn Posts : 19 Registered: 12/4/08
Posted: Dec 6, 2008 9:36 AM Go to message in response to: jll44

That wouldnt be a bad idea at all. The only thing is I want my girls to wear this really pretty purple (Davids Bridal Wild Ochid) and he wants his guys to wear a light blue (President Tuxedo Blue Frost) so thats where the problem lies... do we have the attendants wearing blue or purple. I just dont think it would look right if we have all the girls in purple and all the guys in blue. What do you guys think?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine