What's in a Name?

Online Users: 1,295 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 36

RainyBride Posts : 18 Registered: 6/1/06
What's in a Name?
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 10:46 AM

Cliche title?

So, how did you -or how do you- feel about changing your name?

Love the idea of being a Mrs. So'n'So?

Dislike your name anyway, so happy to change?

Keep your name?

Hyphenate?

Sadly give up your maiden name, but gladly take his?

How did you/will you handle it, how do you feel, and why?

"Can I ask you something . . . ?"

HillyBride92008 Posts : 207 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: What's in a Name?
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

I was definately thrilled to take his name. I am dropping my maiden name completely. It will be first, middle, new last name on my ss card. I'm so excited. The one thing that pisses me off is the town. We got married on Sept 20th and I still haven't recieved my marriage license yet!!! I've been told it can take up to a month or more...so not excited!!!

~ Formerly CCFPrincessBride~

Hillary & Sean~ September 20, 2008 Laughing

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 12:32 PM Go to message in response to: HillyBride92008

First husband happily took his name so young and in love.  Second husband happily took his name so in love and hated first husbands last name.  I kept it after the divorce because my kids had the same name.  Didn't make sense to have first husbands name married to second husband.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 12:54 PM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

I'm keeping my last name.  There are times that I think I should just change it; for instance, at the airport, they try to change our seats not knowing we're married.  That's just one example but it's all silly crap like that.  But for the most part, I just don't like the sound of my first name together with his last name.  All I'd be missing is the stripper pole!!  haha  I'm sure that's not a good reason to keep my maiden name, but it's my reason and that's good enough for me plus, he's ok with it too. 

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

Huh! Great question. I have always loved my last name-very very pretty. Rhymes with the French Riviera, only without the French Ri!

I have no problem with changing names, only I've been lazy about it. I haven't "officially" done the paperwork with the Social Security Office.

Maybe someday I'll get up off my but and do it! I love his last name, too!

Linda Jo and Dean-July 19, 2008

Click to See Our Photo Album and Vows Video

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o465/RanAway2Maine

BrandNewAmy Posts : 341 Registered: 7/3/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Well, I'm going to become Mrs. Gross, which as you can imagine, invites all kinds of hilarity. ;-)  "Oh them?  They're our Gross neighbors."  And so on...

That said, I'm happy to take it and even happier to ditch my ex's last name.  It was such a hassle to change the first time that I just kept the ex's.  It is unbelievable how many things require you to verify your new last name!  Credit cards, frequent flyer miles, every single web site you've ever bought something from...and the list goes on.  I'll be glad to be Mrs. Gross for real.

FinallyMrsF Posts : 285 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: BrandNewAmy

I am sadly dropping my maiden name. I love my family and I am sad that I will no longer have thier last name, but I am happy to be getting married and I will loose the "are you related to Michael (Jackson)?" comments that have plagued me for years.

Kerri and Michael 10/25/0

148 122 17 9 RSVP Date September 30

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 1:43 PM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

Cliche title? I love being his MRS.

So, how did you -or how do you- feel about changing your name?

I am more than happy to change it, I love his name

Love the idea of being a Mrs. So'n'So? YESSSSSSSSSS

Dislike your name anyway, so happy to change? Hate my X's name- I've always had my name hyphenated so my maiden name was always first. ( I love my maiden name too)  

Keep your name? Yes but I am not hypenating it this time.. I will be making it my middle name.

Hyphenate? NO

Sadly give up your maiden name, but gladly take his? NO

How did you/will you handle it, how do you feel, and why? He is adobting my 16 yrold so it will all be legal! YAY.  Because her father hasn't had anything to do with her for the past 3 years.

Check out my Album for wedding pics!

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

I was THRILLED to take my husband's last name when we married! I've never been very attached to my maiden name (it's not very pretty, and I have no sadness about not having the same name as my family anymore), and my new last name goes incredibly well with my first name (which it seems like not many names do).

Also, I want our whole family to share the same name when we start a family. My name is now first, middle, married name. So everything that factored into my decision was a big YES for me to take his name. :)

(It's so nice that as women we have this option to change our surnames! Also, I found it really easy to change my name on everything)

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 3:49 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcDAtLast

I love my maiden name, but I can't wait to take his last name! I'll be first maiden hislast so I'm not giving up my maiden name entirely :)

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 3:57 PM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

I was really happy to change my last name to his.

I actually moved my maiden name to my middle name and took his last name.

Before:

Jennifer MiddleName MaidenName

Now:

Jennifer MaidenName MarriedLastName.

I always knew I wanted to get rid of change my middle name.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

taken in Galveston 3.5 months before Hurricane Ike destroyed the island

Our Wedding Website 

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 4:34 PM Go to message in response to: mrspinky

FH and I have agreed not to talk about this until closer to the wedding because we're both stubborn. I'm one of two grandchildren on (well, both, but more importantly) my father's side. My sister isn't the type who'd be sentimental AT ALL, so if I take his last name, that's it for mine. 

He wants me to take his name and hates hyphenating. 

In the end, I'm sure I'll hyphenate and we'll give any kids his last name. We've sort of joked our way there, but we avoid serious conversations about it. 

RainyBride Posts : 18 Registered: 6/1/06
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

I guess I could answer my own question.

I do want to be a Mrs!

I'm really, perhaps weirdly sad about giving up my maiden name.  Hyphenating or keeping it isn't an option, because I already have four names, and five just be silly.

My FH said it was important to him that we have the same name as a symbol of unity.  As the days go by, I feel that way, too, but only 22 years with my name seems so short!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 4:41 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

I'm the last in my family with my last name too. Thats party why I switched it to my middle name.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

taken in Galveston 3.5 months before Hurricane Ike destroyed the island

Our Wedding Website 

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2008 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: RainyBride

I'm keepinng my married name- that is my first husband's name, which is also my children's name. At his point in my life officially changing my name will be far more hassle than it's worth, and professionally I'm known by this name. The touchy point is, #1-it's my ex's name; and 2- my hubby gets called Mr. Ex hubby name. Sigh. If I'd just kept my birth name this wouldn't be a problem. I don't know, I may reconsider after time and change my name.

Maggie and Tom

Launched 8-31-08

Photobucket

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine