Flattering bridesmaid dress styles for a specific body type

Online Users: 1,332 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 7

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Flattering bridesmaid dress styles for a specific body type
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 10:02 AM

I need help figuring out what style of dress would be flattering on my MOH. She lives in a different state, so we're stuck picking out dresses online. And (what a great complaint to have), she's too accommodating - she keeps telling me whatever style I like will be fine. 

Well, I like styles that will make her look amazing. She's about 4'10" and was a size 20 jeans and an extra large shirt last time we went shopping. She doesn't really wear dresses and we have different body types, so I'm pretty stumped. 

Does anyone have any ideas for generally flattering styles of dresses for her body type? Are long, tea length or knee length styles better? Certain necklines? Bright colors? Dark colors? 

I think if I can narrow it down to a length and vague "type" of dress, she'll go try some on and take pictures, but I need help getting a starting place!

beentogether9ye... Posts : 53 Registered: 10/7/08
Re: Flattering bridesmaid dress styles for a specific body type
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

I would suggest something elongating since she is so short, I'd go with a long dress with straps and a v neck line. I wouldn't do a short dress.  You'll probably want to make sure the material has a bit of texture too.

JackieB0129 Posts : 497 Registered: 4/24/07
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 11:12 AM Go to message in response to: beentogether9ye...

I'm not as short but I am the same size and I tend to feel better in something A-line. I tend to like dresses that flow away from my torso area.  I agree with the PP, maybe a longer dress with some sort of strap.  I know that David's Bridal has a large selection in all different sizes.  Even if you don't go with them maybe she can look at their styles and tell you what style she likes or would feel the most comfortable in.

Jackie B!

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 11:24 AM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

KB- my MOH is 5' and is a bit on the thick side too, she too lives in another state. We picked out an "A line" dress that was long, it added heighth and didn't cling to her, the dresses turned out great.

From the far right:

MOH (BFF) is a size 16 (5'0)

BM(daughter) - size 16 extra tall (5'11)

BM(daughter) - size 8 petite (5'6)

Check out my Album for wedding pics!

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 1:23 PM Go to message in response to: nanette927

I would defantly go with something A-line, no ball gowns makes the bottom half look bigger, and swollows up shorter girls. also what I like is somthing that kind of wraps around and emphasises (sp?) the smallest part of her waist. all my girls are bigger, but a little taller than yours and I am getting them something that wraps at the small of the waist, and has kind of detail on the hips that helps take away from the size there.

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 1:27 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Can you look up a Davids Bridal near her and have her go try on dresses to get an idea of what she will like? It is difficult to pick something solely by a picture when you are on the heavier side. And if she doesn't look good in it, she will be uncomfortable all day. Maybe there will be a Davids within 50 miles of her. Even if she has to drive an hour to get there, it will be worth it in the long run.

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Nanette, those dresses are great and flattering on all three women. 

FutureMrsSchultz, I'm working on getting her to go to David's Bridal, but she wants me to narrow it down to a couple styles I like best both because she hates trying on dresses and because she wants me to pick whatever style I like. 

I think I've got an idea of what to start looking at, since all the pictures online seem to be geared for tall, thin girls and had me stumped. 

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Oct 15, 2008 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Jordan Fashions 531. My girls are modest and a little plus size and they really like this neckline and tea length. 

http://www.jordanfashions.com/products.asp?nCatID=1&nProductID=929&nPhotoID=24455

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine