what would you do if you won the lottery?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 23

November22Bride Posts : 397 Registered: 1/8/08
what would you do if you won the lottery?
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 4:31 PM

My coworkers and I were talking about what we would spend our money on if we won the lottery, they were saying how they would give this much to family and this much to friends. That they would buy new cars and homes…  

I told them that first off I wouldn’t tell a soul that I won. The only people that would know would be me, FH, and a finical adviser. They were shock, I told them that I wouldn’t buy a new car, I would just pay off the cars that we had know. That we would basically live the way I do know just with out debt. Me and FH might go you to dinner a little more often, only work part time and take one nice vacation a year, but other then that I would not do much different then I am now. If I don’t need that new Louie Vuitton bag now why would I need it if I had money?  

So what would you do if you won the lottery? Would you share it with friends and family and buy yourself thing you want or would you save it?    

Message was edited by: November22Bride

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Re: what would you do if you won the lottery?
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 4:52 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

Interesting question.  I would definitely give some money to both our families.  Set up college funds for FH's neice and nephew.  And I would take a year and travel the world.  Go to all the places I've always wanted to see.  After that, I'd probably buy a house near the park in the city, and open up a stitching/bead store.  I've always wanted to do that.  Maybe I'd try my hand at designing embroidery as well.  And I would finish my degree.  I probably wouldn't do anything with it, LOL, but I would like to get the paper.  But I don't think I'd go crazy with cars or purses, either.  Maybe I'd buy one really nice pair of shoes.  :)

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

I'm with you on the not telling anyone front. Depending on how much money, I might hire a lawyer to deal with people. I would pay bills, pay off house, put my kids through whatever college they wanted, and invest it. Maybe a few new clothes and shoes... lol. A girls gotta have some fun!

Maggie and Tom

Launched 8-31-08

Photobucket

MissMac Posts : 142 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 5:27 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

wow thats interesting that you brought this up because for some reason i was just thinking about this to my self earlier...i was wondering if more people are playing the lottery now that the world is suffering from such hard economic times or are they actually using the money that they would normally devote to playing the lottery to more useful things...

..so what I would do is kinda similar to what you all said except i would not be able to not tell anyone...i would tell them that we won but i would most likley not tell them exactly how much.  I would continue to help where needed but the only people I would but a home for other then us is our parents.  I would make sure my grandparents have what they need and want and then just live a nice life...being careful to invest in things like growing my business and other dreams that I have involving that and his too. Oh yeah lets not forget paying off those horrid student loans!!! and other bills (but luckliy that is my only real debt, other then that i could really pay off my debt with one check now)  O and lets definatly not forget not having to cut corners and have the wedding of my dreams!!!

True Love is gift from God

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

I agree with you Nov...

There are some things I would def buy for myself AFTER I took care of all the things I NEED to take of first like debts, save for bills, tune up for car, pay off car, take care of and repay favors...

But I would like a few nice things...a new dresser, bed, tv. Some clothes. But honestly the one thing I really want for myself is a degree. So that would def be one of the 1st things I'd make sure I'd have enough money for.

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

taken in Galveston 3.5 months before Hurricane Ike destroyed the island

Our Wedding Website 

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 6:38 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

Haha! DH talks about his all the time...lol. He says that if he won the lottery, he would buy up a whole bunch of property out in the middle of nowhere and build a town. For us and our friends and family...and that's it. lol. There are so many logistical problems with that plan, but oh well. Doesn't hurt him to dream. :)

Now, if I won the lottery...I would pay off my student loans, our auto loans, buy property and build a house, and put the rest in savings.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 6:58 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

Ladies,

Normally I'd say that I'd take the money, put it in a good investment, then use the income from that investment to buy a few extra luxuries in life.

But today? I'm not making ANY new investments in this climate. I would stash the cash in an insured account in a bank.

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 7:23 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

I'd make sure my parents were taken care of and I'd buy gold and real estate. I wouldn't want to tell anyone either. Just my hubby. We've got too many whacko relatives out there.

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 8:54 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

me and DH both agree on what we would do..not tell anyone..pay off all debts..get him a more relibable vehicle..buy a house in an area we like..help certain family members out on both sides..do some donating..he will take his share and donate to whoever he wants..and ill have my share to put to who i feel needs it. then one way or another stash it in safe places/safe bankings accounts..but all this depends on how much we truly won,and of course..do some shopping for us.

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

sk127 Posts : 325 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 8:54 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

me and DH both agree on what we would do..not tell anyone..pay off all debts..get him a more relibable vehicle..buy a house in an area we like..help certain family members out on both sides..do some donating..he will take his share and donate to whoever he wants..and ill have my share to put to who i feel needs it. then one way or another stash it in safe places/safe bankings accounts..but all this depends on how much we truly won,and of course..do some shopping for us.

live life to the fullest for the future is scarse

hellokitty4ever Posts : 740 Registered: 6/6/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 8:58 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

I would not tell anyone other than my hubby and immediate family members that I had hit the jackpot.  I would pay off all my debt, buy a new home, buy some real estate to use as rental property, stash some moola in an offshore bank account and depending upon the economic climate, put it towards investments. 

Finally, I would quit working altogether and just travel.

That would be the life :) 

MandyandVance Posts : 650 Registered: 4/10/06
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 9:29 PM Go to message in response to: hellokitty4ever

I would give my parents, DH's parents and both our siblings a nice sum of money.  I would buy DH and myself a new car (mine is only 3 years old but why not get a new one?), buy a newer and bigger house, travel the world and give to a few charities.

I would also buy a new veterinary clinic and have my BFF who is a vet run it with me as her technician.  I love my career too much to quit working.

I'm sure we would buy DH some toys too, he is always saying how he wants a snow mobile.

Oh but to dream.....

MrsJunebug Posts : 333 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

First I would pay off our debt.  It isn't much but it would be nice to not have anything hanging over you.  Then I would pay off any debt our parents have.  Both mine and my husband's parents busted their butts to give us the best life that they could and I would love to be able to wipe out their debt.

Other than that, I would probably save and invest the rest.  I've never understood paying $1000 for a pair of designer pants.  I don't think I could ever just throw money around even if I had it to waste.  A house yes, but not a mansion.  A new, reliable car yes, a new ferrari no.

The one luxury I would splurge on. . . a cook/housekeeper.  Maybe not even full time, but once or twice a week would be nice.

formerly known as futuremrsj

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

Tell no one and hire a financial advisor.

teacherspet Posts : 74 Registered: 10/5/08
Posted: Oct 11, 2008 12:17 AM Go to message in response to: November22Bride

1.put money away for my boys when they are of age. and for school money.
2. Pay off all debts including my parents :(
3.Buy a car(I don't own one)
4. Buy a house.
5. Buy property in or around Anaheim and open a bed and breakfast for families. (disney themed of course :)
6 Open my few business Ideas.
7. rent a tall ship...have all my friends and family join my fh and I on the ship for a week....and get married in middle of the pacific ocean somewhere.
8.travel with my boys and see all the places I have always dreamed of.
9. take care of my health issues
10. put money away to live off the interest for a long while.

These are in no particulare order.

"You know you're in love when you can't go to sleep because reality is better than your dreams." ~The late Dr. Seuss

I HAVE FOUND THE MAN OF MY REALITY!! XOXO - ME

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine