Reeeally young brides

Online Users: 1,341 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 195

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Re: Reeeally young brides
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 2:09 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I'm sorry - my point is that I find it very difficult to believe that dummbride exists more than in the imagination of someone who really likes popcorn and train wrecks.

Love2uKiss

122 105 17 0
RSVP Date September 24

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 4:33 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I just wanted to throw in my two cents on one thing.

She is not talking about getting married while she is 16. She's engaged. And depending on your location, there are no laws against being engaged at 16. And whatever the rules, I think anyone engaged to be married should be allowed on a bridal forum.

The only thing that makes me a little wary is the username, it does seem a little obvious. But then, I was a 16 year old posting on a bridal forum (not Brides.Com) many years ago.

All I can say is good luck to you.

MisterKelley Posts : 258 Registered: 7/11/08
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 9:51 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

lol had you going huh? Don't feel bad, I'm positive that everyone who read this thread googled it too. ( You know who you are )  If any of you spent a significant amount of time trying to confirm this, that just makes it even more funny. Sometimes, jackassery just overcomes me. :):):) 

MisterKelley - Now specializing in Trainwrecks and Jackassery

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 10:23 PM Go to message in response to: MisterKelley

I thought there would have been more responses, Oh well, were is a good trainwreck when you need one.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 7:09 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

OK OK-here is your train wreck!!!! 

Linda Jo and Dean-July 19, 2008

Click to See Our Photo Album and Vows Video

http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o465/RanAway2Maine/?mediafilter=videos

Thepalchers Posts : 146 Registered: 8/23/08
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 9:48 AM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

Goodness that picture of the trainwreck.....it moved the tracks! Anywho, I've gotten crap from boards, people saying rude things about my fiancee and myself, because of the age difference between us and the fact that "I'm so young and naive". The name really isn't the wisest choice imho, but hey it's not my username so what does it matter to me? As far as the age thing.....waiting til after high school is best, from experience......after highschool I lost touch with a lot of my old friends. Just remember things do change, as unfortunate as it may be it happens......Just listen to Pink's song "Who Knew".  I wish you the best of luck but just keep that song in mind when picking out your dress. 

To be in love is the greatest gift of all, to be best friends with the person you'll always love is twice as nice, but to have a mature conversation about a disagreement is the most amazing thing I could ever ask for.

count down to your wedding

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 7, 2008 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

I agree kennys. Thought this one would have been a tad more exciting. I think there are a LOT of lurkers out there though.:)

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

FutureMrsStasik... Posts : 49 Registered: 8/27/08
Posted: Oct 9, 2008 5:52 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

What exactly do you guys think is a good age to get married? I mean is anyone who gets married under 25 young? Just curious.. I am 20 and engaged but I wont be married until about 23.. just curious

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 6:19 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsStasik...

Mrs Stasik:

To me, there is a GIGANTIC difference between someone like you who will be 23 when you get married, and someone like OP who is SIXTEEN years old and engaged to be married. Im sorry - but 16 is not an adult. So I have a lot of trouble taking that at all seriously. I realize she will not be 16 when she GETS married, but even so - when you are 16, you should be worrying about high school, studies, and your PROM. Certainly not your WEDDING. So I cant even have a serious conversation with someone who is not even a legal adult about marriage. Sorry. Its just ridiculous to me.

Now if you are asking what is a "good age" to get married - and if we are talking about ADULTS - well then that depends on the individual. Personally -and this is just my opinion - I think its really important for ANY adult to live on their own ALONE for a few years before going into marriage. I also cant imagine getting married during college or before college. For ME personally, that would have been entirely too stressful and I just dont feel I knew myself enough at that age - most of us do a LOT of changing during the time period of about age 18-24 or so and even older. I did a lot of dating back then and even fell in love a couple times - but marriage was the furthest thing from my mind honestly.

But I realize everyone is different. So Im not about to get on a highhorse about it. But again - someone who is 16 - sorry thats just not anything I can take seriously.

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

bamaybe Posts : 2 Registered: 5/8/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 2:26 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I suppose I'm young.  21.  Will be 22, and out of college, when I get married.  

To play devil's advocate, my mom was 17 and a high school senior when she got married.  My dad was 20, I believe.  They've remained together when all my friends' parents have divorced.  (Couples who married older.)  So really, is it the age issue? or a maturity issue?  because at 16, you can be just as mature as a 24 year old depending on your life experiences.

Refusing to take any 16 year old who wants to get married seriously is just as silly as taking every 16 year old who wants to get married seriously.

No?

TattooedStarlit Posts : 202 Registered: 12/18/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 8:20 AM Go to message in response to: bamaybe

I know something will be said but I say I agree with you, bamaybe.  Then again I do agree with some of what kelleyiskelley said too.  I say that marriage really shouldn't be the FIRST thing on a 16 year olds mind but if she is mature enough to handle it like an adult (and her FH is as well) then if she wants to get married, that's what she wants.  If she was on here saying she wants to start having children now then THAT would be a different story.  Nothing against girls who have children young but I am just saying that because having a child so young isn't great for a females body but that not the topic so I digress.

wedding count down

Message was edited by: TattooedStarlit

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 8:48 AM Go to message in response to: TattooedStarlit

No. Sorry. Again - a 16 year old is not an adult. PERIOD. Adults get engaged and plan weddings. I dont care HOW "mature" you think you are - you are still a growing adolescent at the age of 16. Why on earth do you have to get married and plan a wedding at that age? It makes no sense. If you really ARE so mature for your age, then you would realize that you have more than enough time to live your life and get married, and the idea of marriage would not even be in your thought process at that young age. Its just silly.

And to the person who said their parents married at that age and are still together - Well good for them. I mean that. Thats great! But its also not the norm. Your parents got lucky. I have a cousin who also married at 18 and they are still together , happy, etc too. But even SHE will tell you that she was WAY too young to get married and that she would not want that for her own daughter. Just because something works out doesnt mean it should be made the example.

Honestly - I cant even believe this conversation is happening. A SIXTEEN year old cant even drive a car in some states, drink alcohol, vote or anything else that ADULTS do. Why on earth does someone that age need tobe getting married?

How about they finish school first and then live a little bit of LIFE before making such an adult lifelong decision. Adult decisions are to be made by adults, not someone with the word TEEN in their age.

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 10:28 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

At 16 people need to get their parents permission to get married.  If you need your parents permission you are definatley to young.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 10:33 AM Go to message in response to: bamaybe

So really, is it the age issue? or a maturity issue?

Aarghh.  It's Friday morning and it's going to be a long day, so I'll just dive in.

Really, it's all of that, and none of the above.  It's not like there's some magic formula for a successful marriage.  There are millions who marry young and have great marriages, and millions who marry later and have great marriages.  There are people who marry in college, after college, don't go to college, marry because they're pregnant, marry in their 40s, and if any of them tell you that they are happily married now because they got married in college or after college or got married when she was knocked up or got married in their 40s. . .they are balls-out lying.

Seriously.  When I ask happily married people, the ones who have been married 20+ years, they tell me all kinds of things, like "Communication" or "Don't go to bed angry" or "Make time for eachother" or "Compromise" or, the most useful advice I ever got "Find the right partner."

But not once has someone ever said "I have been happily married for 40 years because I got married at 19." or "I have been happily married for 30 years because I got married at 40."

In fact, the ones who marry later often wish they had found their partner earlier, and the ones who marry earlier often wish they had found their partner later.  But the happy ones are happy because of some unique blend of chemistry, luck, and work on both their and their partner's part. 

However. . .

When I see a 16 year old who is enaged, I don't think "bride."  I think "serious boyfriend."  But maybe that's just me.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2008 11:08 AM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

When I was 16 I was working at Hardee's and going to high school and spending most of my free time on the weekends looking for boys to talk to and/or beer to drink.  Probably not a good prospect for marriage!  LOL

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door!

I hope you don't get hit by a city bus Cool

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine