A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.

Online Users: 1,337 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2,746

MrsReno Posts : 314 Registered: 12/21/07
Re: A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.
Posted: Oct 3, 2008 10:05 AM Go to message in response to: audra2013

Audra- That really stinks and I know it can be very difficult when it comes to BM's dresses and their body types.

What I decided to do was let my BMs choose their own dressed... All six of them. I didn't care what the cut, style, or shape of the dress it was as long as it was by Jordan's or Jordan's Separates, and in satin. (Make sure you get them in the same fabric or the colors won't match). They picked their dress and I picked out what colors were going to be what. I know the same dress just wouldn't look right on all of my BMs and I wanted them to look great an feel comfortable. The dresses all mix match but they look really good when you stand them all next to eachother.

♥Defy Gravitry♥

audra2013 Posts : 145 Registered: 6/18/08
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 2:12 AM Go to message in response to: Lovinlyfe

Thanks ladies! I'm just going to go with the flow from here on out so hopefully it will all kind of fall into place!

lovinlyfe your dress is simply gorgeous. love the color detail!

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Oct 4, 2008 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: audra2013

BM question --

wow...you'd think my wedding was closer than it is (or at least that FH has ACTUALLY proposed!) by all the questions i've asked. but im a planner/organizer .. it calms me down.

FH/BF told his cousin that he was going to propose within the year. Her first response was happy and then she asked if she was going to be in the wedding. Now, haley can be a great girl. We are the same age and she is very creative. She always wears outfits that are little bit out there and has great decorating ideas -- she's going to school for interior design. So the more I think about it, the more having her opinions in the decorating would be an asset to me. The problem is that she can be really catty. She's superficial, talks too much, dramatic, and obnoxious. ANYONE will admit this ... even FHs own family. Its just part of who she is. She can be awesome, fun, a great friend, and laid back. But then she can flip and be this total other person that is almost painful to be around. I had not even considered her being one of my BMs I was just going to have my MOH and one BM (FHs younger sister). FHs cousin has always been someone for him to call or tell his secrets too ... not the he necessarily does, but that he can. I'm going back and forth between the postives and the negatives of having her be in the wedding, and not just a guest.

I asked FH how many GM he thought he would be having and he said righ now all he had figured out was that he wanted his dad and his best friend. So we're both even at one MOH/Best Man and one BM/GM. I think since his cousin never asked me, I'm not going to bring the subject up with her. And if she confronts me about it and i'll tell her that right now our sides are even but if FH adds someone else, I'll add her.

what do you think?

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

audra2013 Posts : 145 Registered: 6/18/08
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 12:53 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

I would definitely try to avoid committing to anything. I would let it go until she asks again then I would tell her that the sides are even right now but you have plenty of time to figure that all out later and you'll update her as things change. I wouldn't say that you'll add her if your fiance adds another GM just because (if she's anything like my family and how you described her) it could be easy for your relationship or even your fiance's relationship with her to change before the wedding and it would be a bummer for you to be stuck with a BM you didn't want. 

justkel Posts : 156 Registered: 8/7/08
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 2:54 PM Go to message in response to: audra2013

I'm still here Destiny!!!  :)  This is the first chance I have had to get on in almost a week!  My gosh things have been so crazy!

Update on my instructor:  He decided to come back at our next class, but only held class for 10 minutes.  I was not happy.  He didn't even teach anything.  All he did was chew us out.  ugh! 

Well this week is going to be a busy one too.  I have three exams on Monday and one on Wednesday.  yuck!  I better get to studying. 

Hope everyone is doing well.  :)

-Kel

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 4:12 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

Hey KJ, or anyone else doing a fairytail themed wedding. I was playing around on efavormart.com and I found these adarable cinderella slipper place holders. And they're cheap!

http://www.efavormart.com/silvercinderellaslipper-12pk.aspx

KatyG Posts : 21 Registered: 9/28/08
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 5:02 PM Go to message in response to: audra2013

thanks everyone for compliments on the dress.

I'm glad everything is going well for everyone. I'm so excited, me and my FH have pushed our wedding up to december 7 of next year!! i'm so excited! it's going to be on our 3 year anniversary.. our 2 year is only 2 months away.. I'm so so happy!

The Future Mrs. Glenn!

Posted: Oct 5, 2008 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: KatyG

Nessa: thanks for the tip! i've been searching online for a bunch of different wedding items. i found this adorable cake topper where the groom is carrying his bride & she has on a princess dress. also a castle shaped flower girl basket (even tho we may not have a FG!) and a whole guest book/card box set that is fairy tale themed. Thanks for keeping me in mind :)

Katy-congrats on the (almost) 2 year! Our 2 year is November 9th! Its so exciting. You're so lucky that you get to get married on your 3 year anniversary. We don't get to do anything cute like that b/c we're both in college so getting married in the middle of november wouldn't work out! But its very romantic!

Girls --- thanks for the advice on FHs cousin. We're leaving town Tuesday morning for my grandpa's funeral. I'm getting stressed out about FH meeting my dad. He knows how much of an a** my dad is and his exact words were "its a good thing i'm meeting him at a funeral. otherwise i'd punch him in his jaw." so i'm getting stressed. i know FH will be on good behavior but dont know about my dad. my aunt's gonna be here though and she told me she'll give my dad an ear full if he starts anything. ha. :)

another question--how did you all pick your wedding date? it'd be ideal for us to get married during the summer since we won't have school. and early summer which is why we picked the end of may. memorial day is there so that my family can fly in from out of town without missing work, it won't be too hot by then (FH is really sensitive to heat), and school will be out. but the date doesn't "sound good" to me. (the last sunday in may either 2010 or 2011). And there's nothing special behind it. We met and started going out, and said "i love you" in November. Our "first time" was in december. My bday is in december. His bday is on October. All during school & all when its cold :( I would LOVE to get married on my bday tho and FH says we can b/c he loves the cold. But then I don't get my outside flower wedding, I don't like cold, and it would be around finals. Bummed...should we just stick with our memorial day weekend?

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

KatyG Posts : 21 Registered: 9/28/08
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 9:57 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

KJsgirl- The idea of the outside floral wedding sounds beautiful, but if you would like to move it towards the colder ares you could always decorate the inside of somewhere with flowers.. Compromise is a very good word.. And I hope all goes well with your father, my dad loves my FH, and he's an a** too.. lol.. but we're going for the december, because we're going to have it in the church we both attend.. If y'all aren't religious then find somewhere around there that allows gatherings and that would look good covered in flowers and garlands and all of that fun stuff. I wish you luck!

The Future Mrs. Glenn!

justkel Posts : 156 Registered: 8/7/08
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 10:20 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

Our wedding date is our 3 year anniversary.  It just so happens to be in the summer when nothing else is going on.  Any other time of the year would have been too busy with me still in school. 

wvabride Posts : 55 Registered: 12/16/07
Posted: Oct 5, 2008 10:54 PM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

KJ-A floral wedding sounds beautiful, but if you want it in december you can try mid-month. After finals but before the holidays. And there are plenty of beautiful flowers you can find in the winter time.

Our wedding dates we picked have no special meaning to us at all. Our anniversary is in May and we wanted to get married then, but up until 2012 we have someone from our families graduating from high school. We didn't want to overshadow that. Plus we want to wait until im almost done with school.

totally off the wedding subject, but was everyone's weekend okay?

link=http://tickers.families.comimg noborderhttp://tac.families.com/ezb/1157261.png[/img][/link]

Posted: Oct 5, 2008 10:57 PM Go to message in response to: justkel

i think itd be more expensive to travel for our honey moon if we did it around christmas time...what do you all think? i really want my family to be there & know that my cousins (who are a big part of my life) most likely won't be able to take off work. so a 3 day weekend such as memorial day weekend would make traveling easier...but i've heard its more expensive to fly on memorial day weekend. we're also having the wedding on a sunday morning and the reception in the afternoon so that everything can be over by 7 at the lastest, giving everyone time to rest (including us!) We are religious & want my FHs pastor to marry us, but do not think the church is pretty (its really warehouse looking). so that was another reason for an outside wedding. we were thinking nice, small outside wedding in the japense stroll garden (there is a spot with a small rock waterfall and we want to be married ontop of it with all our guests bellow) and then have a summer picnic meal at the (most likely indoor) reception -- pastas, fruits, punch, champagne, and cake. cheap, easy, fun, and you can really play around with it. the problem is there isn't anywhere to get ready around the garden so we'd have to put up big tents and then there's the issue of me walking in because there aren't like big doors i'd just be walking out of a tent, which would be ok except id have to walk across the sidewalk and then into the actual part of the garden we want to get married in (its gated b/c of the waterfall) and theres no straight path -- its winds. & i want to have a horse carriage but it may not be allowed inside the garden.

but ah! if we got married on dec. 12, 2010 it would be a sunday but it would also be my 21st birthday. and how cool would that be?? FH says either is fine with him. but then we'd have to get married inside. we could get married at the Pythian castle in springfield...they rent their theatre room for weddings & their ballroom for receptions. that would really play into the whole fairy tale theme too... and itd be easy because the guests would not have to travel anywhere. but once again, worried about the price of traveling. ive heard memorial day is expensive and ive heard december is expensive. i realized that either one is going to be directly following finals. i also don't want to sleeves on my dress -- can you have spaghetti straps for a december wedding? last year there wasn't even snow on the ground in dec. and it wasn't very cold out. so we could take our pics outside the front of the castle. then we could leave the reception in a horse carriage from the castle....?  i REALLY don't know which one would be better...

i like the idea of being at the gardens for the wedding, and then the bride & groom disappear for a while to take pics outside while the guests go to the reception (at Pythian castle). then we show up at the castle and we are announced as "Mr & Mrs" & i think having the entire function at the castle may be a bit much? who knows...

i really need ideas!! FH is totally out on this one, says either is fine with him!!

here's a link to the japanese stroll garden, but i cant find a pic of the waterfall spot that we want.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2992070-japanese_stroll_garden_springfield-i  (click the button that says photo album)

&

http://sps.k12.mo.us/FieldTrip/JapaneseGarden/garden.htm

^those are for the garden

and here's the castle:

http://pythiancastle.com/

let me know :) PLEASE!!

kel--sorry about your teacher!

UPDATE!! ok---the castle doesn't allow alcohol and you have to provide your own liability insurance. idk what that means, but this is what it says: "All leasors of Pythian Castle must provide their own liability coverage naming the Pythian Castle as additionally insured. A minimum of $300,000 for private parties, $1,000,000 for businesses/schools. Additional fee of $200 is charged for those who can not provide their own coverage. Coverage can be found at Private Event Insurance.com"

Can anyone explain that to me? ... I guess the castle is out ... Frown . but it doesn't solve my dilema. b/c i can find other really neat indoor places.

Retired Posts : 808 Registered: 4/17/06
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 12:43 AM Go to message in response to: delete

I'm a young ex-bride, do I count? I'm feeling pretty lonely on the boards now that I don't have any questions to ask. :<

Destiny123 Posts : 519 Registered: 5/5/08
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 8:16 AM Go to message in response to: Retired

Don't feel lonely Noc! I was always reading your posts and your advice before I ever actually made a profile for myself on here!! Don't leave us! Keep helping the rest of us! PS,  I seen your wedding pics on one of the boards a while back, GORGEOUS!!!! And then I also read somewhere else that you did A LOT of the stuff yourself. You're famous on these boards :) lol

Kel, I'm glad  you're back! lol That really stinks about your professor and all the tests you have this week! yuck

You girls will probably laugh at how I chose my wedding date. lol We wanted to get married on July 4th 2009. The 4th of July was the date of our first date! And it is just really special to us. So that was our first date. Then my mom threw a fit, saying we couldn't expect people to spend their holiday with us. So, I sat down and started thinking. I didn't want a spring wedding. I wanted summer. And I always break out the week before my period, especially in the summer. So, since I'm on the pill, my period is as predicatable as can be. So I sat down and wrote down what days I would be on my period from the day FH proposed to August of 2009. June 13th was the closest to July 4th as I could get, and I always loved the thought of June weddings, so we set that date. And I called the church, and booked it THAT DAY.

MyHotComments.com
MyHotComments

Lovinlyfe Posts : 39 Registered: 8/14/08
Posted: Oct 6, 2008 8:56 AM Go to message in response to: CountryPrincess

KJ-my wedding date was picked out of the blue. It's not our anniversary, it's not our birthdays. It's Oct 3, 2009. We decided that because when we were talking about a date, I didn't want anything in peak wedding season...april through august. then fh's bday is sept mine is in nov and we didn't want to get too close to the holidays. So we narrowed it down to the month of oct and then narrowed it down to the 3rd because every other weekend that month we have family bdays and i didnt want to do it on their bdays.

I like both of your ideas, the outdoor wedding with the waterfalls sounds beautiful, but i live in maine and it gets cold up here like sept. so it will be cold for my wedding. we are getting married and doing our reception in a warehouse looking place also but i will put up my own decorations and that way i can really make it look the way i want. so as we have always said, it needs to be what works best for you and for your fh. traveling for either memorial day or christmas will probably be expensive as you said, i would think memorial day might be a little cheaper, but either way usually as long as you book flights as far in advance as possible you can get fairly cheap rates.

so as soon as you set a date and have finalized it, i would recommend letting all friends and family who will be traveling know that way they have plenty of time to book cheaper flights if possible.

"When two hearts race....both win!"

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine