How early did you get your dress?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 38

ChucksGrl0215 Posts : 407 Registered: 8/27/07
How early did you get your dress?
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 4:12 PM

I found my dress 2 weeks ago and was thinking about ordering it withing the next month. Our wedding is 10/10/09 so that will put it a year in advance. I've heard Maggie Sottero dresses can take 6-7 months to come in so I don't want to wait too long but I am also trying to loose weight. In a dream world I want to loose 50-55lbs but I've been trying to loose for about a year and haven't had much luck so I would be shocked if I could get to my goal for the wedding. I'm thinking 25lbs sounds about right in a year but I'm worried about ordering my dress now and then loosing the weight. Has anyone else experienced this before? How did the alterations go?

www.mywedding.com/meghanandchuck

MrsMaldonado Posts : 2,852 Registered: 3/7/07
Re: How early did you get your dress?
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 4:15 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

I ordered my dress 9 months before my wedding. Had to take it back & order a completely different dress because mine was discontinued.....we couldn't zip it over my bust (yes, my boobs grew)....I had only gained 5 pounds. I know it's exciting & you can't wait, but I would suggest waiting a bit longer than a year before your wedding. Best of luck!

♥Just married!
Bryan & EmySeptember 27, 2008

Posted: Sep 30, 2008 4:20 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMaldonado

Yeah I know I probably should I guess I just love it so much and I'm worried if might be discontinued if I wait too long.

summerbride10 Posts : 5 Registered: 3/30/08
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 5:32 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

I'm getting married 10/10/09, too. I ordered my dress last week. What Maggie are you ordering??

Posted: Sep 30, 2008 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: summerbride10

Ireland....How about you?

MoreThanExpected Posts : 158 Registered: 2/13/07
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 5:58 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

I ordered my dress about 13 months in advance and was told they can take it in 3"

Looking at your website though you're way pretty and I don't see 50 lbs for you to lose, you'll be beautiful either way

“Marriage is an expression of love and respect and trust and faith in the future, but the union of husband and wife is also an alliance against the challenges and tradgedies of life a promise that with me in your corner, you will never stand alone.”

-Dean Koontz,from the corner of his eye 

summerbride10 Posts : 5 Registered: 3/30/08
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 6:53 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

I dont think I've seen Ireland, I'll have to look it up. I ordered an Essence of Australia. I dont even remember the style # but I posted a picture on the post your dress thread.

ciscokid Posts : 119 Registered: 8/8/07
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 11:50 AM Go to message in response to: summerbride10

I bought mine in June. My wedding is 6-6-09. However, at the time we were planning on May of 2010. I just knew it was the one, so we went ahead. I hear they can take it in a max of like two sizes, depending on the cut of the dress, beading, etc. Is there a seamstress you could talk to if you're worried about how much you might be taking it in?

CountryPrincess Posts : 673 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: ciscokid

Im so glad you posted this! I've been thinking about my dress too. I had my DREAM dress but did not order it because we hadn't decided on a year, and still haven't! It was an Alfred Angelo and absolutely perfect for my fairytale themed wedding. My FH calls me his princess so we were playing off of that. Plus I've got a small chest so I wanted straps but not am VERY picky about what the straps look like. So finally found the perfect dress, didn't get it though, and now its discontinued. I had my heart set on it and now finding another dress will be even more difficult. I say go ahead and get it! And I looked at your pics, no way you need to lose 50 pounds!

"I don't care how much it hurts. I don't care if its a brick wall disaster. I'd rather fight with you everday than be happy for one second with anyone else." <3

Kevin & Mari: 11/09/06 to Forever.

nanette927 Posts : 1,748 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 11:56 AM Go to message in response to: ciscokid

I bought my dress Dec 27,07 and got married on September 27,08! So 10 months in advance...if you buy it that far ahead, just maintain your weight. And you're good to go. Good luck!

Got Married!--Check out my ALBUM to see photos!-----------

IceBride Posts : 27 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

I'm getting married October 3, 2009.

I started looking for dresses at the end of August and ordered my dress in mid-September. I'll be wearing a Casablanca gown that has a long embroidered/beaded train, so the dress will need to be custom cut to maintain its design. As a result, the dress could take up 6 months to come in, which will hopefully get it here sometime in April.

When I initially started looking, the saleswoman told me not to wait past this October to order so that the dress has enough time to arrive.

countdown to your wedding

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: IceBride

I ordered my gown from David's Bridal-LOVED that place in May of 2007. I picked it up in June, 2007 and got married in July.

I didn't need one alteration! 

Linda Jo and Dean-July 19, 2008

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: RanAway2Maine

I bought mine about a 10 months in advance from off the rack, and I have to say my tastes and preferences changed a LOT while I was doing my planning.  I wish I'd bought a different dress but I am NOT going to be a two dress bride! I had mine altered a bit so it's more like how i want it, but I wish I had waited and looked around a ton more. Not just trying on either, but my vision for my wedding changed as I really got in to the planning.  

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

Aurora1974 Posts : 43 Registered: 3/3/08
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 12:59 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

I'm getting married 10/17/09 and ordered my dress a couple weeks ago.  I knew it was THE dress and I was afraid of it being discontinued if I waited.  I too am trying to lose 20-30 pounds before the wedding.  I talked to the seamstress at the store and she said that 20 pounds usually equates to 1 dress size and they can take it down a couple.  I definitely recommend talking to the seamstress and getting her take on based on what dress you want.

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 3:07 PM Go to message in response to: ChucksGrl0215

i just got married a few weeks ago...

we got engaged at the beginning of January and I bought my dress a few weeks later.

when we first bought it it was a little loose and needed to be taken in, however 8 months later it was a little tight and i had to drop 5-10 lbs in 2 weeks.

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine