Ivory vs. White? Have I made a COLOSSAL mistake?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 57

kensimzadi Posts : 216 Registered: 7/28/08
Ivory vs. White? Have I made a COLOSSAL mistake?
Posted: Sep 29, 2008 11:55 PM

OMG! I'm FREAKIN OUT!  Okay, I had tried on an Ivory dress from Private Label by G with elaborate beading that I thought was gorgeous!  But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to get married in a white wedding dress, so I went back and ordered the dress in white, without really looking at another dress with beading in white, altho I had tried some on.  Now, I've been reading on here that Ivory really sets beading off spectacularly!  Have I made a huge mistake?  I've tried on white dresses with beading from other makers and thought they were beautiful...see, I'm going crazy!!!  HELP!!!! 

STBMrsDreyfous Posts : 125 Registered: 3/26/08
Re: Ivory vs. White? Have I made a COLOSSAL mistake?
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 12:16 AM Go to message in response to: kensimzadi

In the end, the only opinion that matters is your own. Whether I think the white or the ivory is better, it depends on the dress and the beading.

If you have pics or can get them would be helpful though! I personally think that white is more stunning but then again, thats my opinion.

So find pics, and remember its all about what you believe is more stunning on YOU! :)

~Becca

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else..."

<3 May 9, 2009 <3

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 12:51 AM Go to message in response to: kensimzadi

how ivory is the ivory dress? there's different shades, as I found out while trying to coordinate my stuff.

my dress was a very light ivory, almost white, but not quite, but we found some ivory's that looked more pinky too.

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

firstweddinginn... Posts : 77 Registered: 9/15/07
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 3:26 AM Go to message in response to: TheNewMrsJ

Think skin tone. Some girls look washed out in white- other girls (darker skin tones) look amazing. If you tried on stunning white dresses then you likely look good in white. And in the end...I think the bride is the only one that notices the difference in shade. 

dress005-1.jpg picture by tashacopi

cant wait to wear my dress on 11-1-08!

MoreThanExpected Posts : 158 Registered: 2/13/07
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 11:34 AM Go to message in response to: kensimzadi

When I went dress shopping the dress I fell in love with was Ivory, but Ivory looks horrible on me, so I ordered it in white and panicked that it would look awful until it came in.  Once it came in though the white looked SOOO much better, and the beading around the neckline and bottom ended up popping out and looking better than it had on the Ivory sample gown (in my opinion anyway).  So relax I'm sure your dress will be stunning.

“Marriage is an expression of love and respect and trust and faith in the future, but the union of husband and wife is also an alliance against the challenges and tradgedies of life a promise that with me in your corner, you will never stand alone.”

-Dean Koontz,from the corner of his eye 

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 1:42 AM Go to message in response to: MoreThanExpected

Thanks for all the calming advice.  I think I've finished freakin out now.  I just had to remember all the other dresses that I had previously tried on and thought were absolutely beautiful, beading and all!  Thanks again!

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Oct 1, 2008 1:51 AM Go to message in response to: kensimzadi

I haven't ordered my dress yet, but I am kind of having this dilemma. The dress I tried on was Ivory. I absolutely LOVE it, but I want a white dress. None of the David's Bridals in my state have the dress in a relatively close size in white. I saw it in a very small size but didn't love it. I am so torn. I am scared to order it in white because I didn't like it, but then again I didn't like it in ivory either until I tried it on. Also the picture online looks nothing like the dress. So I am just lost. I am able to buy my dress now and really want to, but am holding off until I can figure out if I even like the dress in white. I feel like a stalker! I call DB about once a week and ask them to do a check for the whole state! Ugh! I want my dream dress, but in white! Sorry to do a mini vent! Sealed

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 2:07 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Honey, we all gotta vent sometime!  My question would be if you have tried ANY dresses on in white, and if so, how did you feel about how they looked on you?  I feel like if you love the dress, and you like how you look in other white dresses you may have tried on, then chances are, you will love this dress in white!  Go try on a similar dress in white, and see how you feel.  And by the way, how did you get your ticker?  I've got one configured, but have no idea how to cut and paste!!!  So NOT a computer tekkie!!

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 2:28 AM Go to message in response to: kensimzadi

For the ticker, I made my FH do it because he is a computer nerd! However, I watched! If you edit your community profile, you can add a signature at the bottom. I think you have to click on the html button and then paste the link in there. Once you are done you should see it there immediately. If you search the forums(almost at the top of this page) type in wedding ticker. There are some old old threads that people started to test their ticker and it just kind of stuck. I think I posted about 7 or 8 before saying screw it and asking FH. 

As for the dress. I did try on white dresses. They look good. I am usually pretty tan so I can pull off ivory or white. I know it is basically the same dress, I am just paranoid. I don't like that I have to purchase the most important outfit of my life without even trying it on. That is just nuts to me! I am going to go to some other bridal shops and try on different brands and if I still love my Davids Bridal, then I will probably just suck it up and order it. I am just soooo paranoid! It also probably doesn't help that almost everyone(friends and family) have said I should just order it in ivory because it looks good and ivory is more "in". I am not giving in though. I want white! Here is the dress in ivory...

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 12:04 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

OMG that dress is BEAUTIFUL!!!! That's from David's Bridal?!  Wow!  That was going to be my next step after the shop I found my dress in.  And I gotta tell ya, it does look smashing in the ivory.  BUT!  If white is what you have your heart set on, then you will not be satisfied with ivory.  Don't get ivory just because everyone else tells you to, they aren't going to be the one wearing it!  Everytime you look down at yourself, or pass a mirror and see yourself, I think you'll always feel a moment of disappointmen...and what bride wants that on her wedding day? 

Thanks for the info on the ticker! 

Let me know what you decide!

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 11:59 PM Go to message in response to: kensimzadi

Thank you... The dress is beautiful, and I know it looks great in Ivory, but I know I want white. I went to Davids Bridal today and saw it in a size 4(that would NEVER fit me) and I didn't love it. I am having such a hard time with this. Ok so the thread that they used to sew on the crystals is a metallic silver(I thought it looked gold) and it kind of bugged me. But I did notice it is on the ivory as well, but just a little less noticeable. Ugh I am so torn now. I really just have to try it on to know. Supposedly a store that is about 2 hours away from my house has it. I just hate that I have to drive far to go try it on. I am annoyed with Davids Bridal's policy and am thinking I should walk away from my dream dress. I just don't know. This is all I can think about right now!!!

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 2:05 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Honey, do NOT walk away from your dream dress!!!! DO NOT! DO NOT! DO NOT!   You are planning on getting married once in your life!  If it takes two hours to drive to a store that has the dress you need to try on, then drive it!  Drive it with a smile because you know that once and for all you will have an answer to this hateful dilemma you are having...in the long run it will be such a very small price to pay!  Just think, you will finally know if the white dress is for you, or if the ivory one is the one.  If you don't like the white, and the ivory doesn't do it for you either, then you need to keep looking for another dress, and you will be able to handle that because at least you would not have any doubts!  And that's the part that would drive you crazy!!!  So make the drive and go find out for sure!  Let me know!
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10704;95/st/20090919true%21%21/k/7ae0/event.png">>
/e/my+dream+comes+

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:29 PM Go to message in response to: kensimzadi

I think I am too stubborn to make the drive. I don't feel like I should have to work this hard for them to make a sale. THEY should be the ones bending over backwards for me. I don't see why it is so difficult for them to send it to another store. I am trying to tell myself to just make the drive, but who knows. I will let you know what I decide to do. Maybe I'll do it this weekend.

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

You do make a good point...they should be able to get you a dress that you can try on, but if they really can't, I still say think about making the drive.  I know if it were me, I'd drive myself crazy with "what ifs?"  I'm still doing that with the choice I made on my dress...I'm still a little freaked out about changing my mind so last minute, but I'm trying not to double guess myself too much!  And I've got another year to agonize over it!  There is no turning back for me...they told me it's going to take seven months to get my dress in, and after that, there won't be enough time to order a new one, so, I'm wearing the one I ordered, love it or not!  Oh boy...just started myself freaking out again.  Let me know what you decide to do! 

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 10:59 PM Go to message in response to: kensimzadi

Well I called the store tonight and asked them to check if they had the dress... The girl was kind of rude and sounded annoyed that I didn't want to make an appointment. FH and I are going to a football game that is about 30 min from the store so he said we might be able to go early so I can try on the dress(he will wait outside of course). I am not sure if I am going to go though. I guess i'll have to wait until saturday. I am annoyed that the girl was rude and that I have to make the drive. Stupid David's Bridal. I just feel like I should give my business to someone who cares. I know I am nuts and putting way to much thought into this, but oh well! Its my dress and I am the one who has to wear and love it! Do you have a picture of the dress you ordered?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine