dresses vs. body types

Online Users: 1,347 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 7

jackie3 Posts : 6 Registered: 7/24/08
dresses vs. body types
Posted: Sep 27, 2008 1:49 AM

What is your body type and what dresses did/did NOT work for you?

I'm 4'11 with a blessed chest (I guess you could say) and I'm thinking strapless with little to no train, if possible.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: dresses vs. body types
Posted: Sep 27, 2008 7:49 AM Go to message in response to: jackie3

I'm big busted at 5'3 1/2".  I ended up with a strapless A-line.  The halter tops made me look three times as big in the chest.  I did have a train, but that's what I wanted.

I think that if you do a dress that comes in and flares at the waist it might really cut you in half with your height not being too tall.

But that said try, try, try them on!!!!

kinzlove Posts : 15 Registered: 8/17/08
Posted: Sep 28, 2008 3:42 PM Go to message in response to: jackie3

I have what i guess you would call an 'athletic' body, i have hips and a very small bust lol. The halter dresses that i tried on did NOT flatter me what so ever! I ended up with a form fitting trumpet/mermaid dress.

MrsWilliams2008 Posts : 1,431 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Sep 28, 2008 5:04 PM Go to message in response to: kinzlove

I'm 5'3" @ about 150 pounds. Size B bust, average figure (size 8), not extremely curvy, just a little.

I was least uncomfortable in a mermaid style. I felt that was a bit much FOR ME to wear to a traditional church wedding. I see that dress on other brides all the time and it's gorgeous, but I wasn't feeling it for myself.

The dress I hated most on me was the A-line. I felt like I was 7 years old going to sunday school. There was just no definition of a waist or ANYTHING in that dress. It felt like i was wrapped in a sheet.

I fell in love with the dress that was strapless/sleeveless, had a pick-up skirt and a boned bodice. It had a train. I felt like a true southern belle in that dress. Suprisingly with me being kinda small, the dress didn't overtake me.

Poster Formerly Known as beauti381

http://www.theknot.com/ourwedding/RyAnne Stafford&RobertWilliams, Jr

Happily Married since June 21, 2008

Dancer Posts : 316 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Sep 29, 2008 4:42 PM Go to message in response to: jackie3

I'm 5ft 6in and 143lbs. I have a small bust and fairly curvy bottom half (medium shirts, 6/8 pants). A V shaped neckline worked best for my bust, the strapless sweetheart neckline went well with me as well. They both game me enhancement and definition instead of flattening me. Dropped waist were wrong, so very wrong but mermaid and trumpet styles fit the best. Sheaths were unforgiving, and A lines looked like oversized easter dresses.

firstweddinginn... Posts : 77 Registered: 9/15/07
Posted: Sep 29, 2008 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: Dancer

I am 5'6 with a slim figure. I went with the mermaid style. The sheath style was a little too sexy for me though I wanted to be sexy.

dress005-1.jpg picture by tashacopi

cant wait to wear my dress on 11-1-08!

We2Heart Posts : 452 Registered: 10/11/07
Posted: Sep 29, 2008 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: jackie3

I'm 5'7" - Kind of pear shaped. Small top, BIG bottom but still with curves. I didn't dare try on a princess dress with the extra poof on the bottom.  Talk about accentuating the wrong parts.  Same with the fitted dresses (mermaid, trumpet) although I did try some on and did find one that looked good.  I think because it had a train, the way it fell off of my thighs didn't bring attention to my behind. 

I ended up with strapless A-line. It was fitted up until mid-hip then flared out to the a-line.  No petticoat.  Corset bodice with boning to add/keep shape.  Chapel length train. A halter would have worked too if it was a-line.

Photo's from the wedding:

http://www.photoshop.com/user/thetessaspace/?galleryid=64b8a77a78884dbca0fa0e7c30e8077c&trackingid=BTAGC&wf=share

brideincanada Posts : 133 Registered: 1/30/08
Posted: Sep 29, 2008 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: jackie3

I can relate jackie3, I am 4'10", with a 32D chest, 27" waist and 38" hips (so pretty much an hourglass figure, with a tendancy to pear shape if I'm not watching what I eat and don't exercise).  My dress is a slim a-line with a strapless sweatheart neckline and corset back (MoriLee #2105), it has a chapel length train. 

When I was trying on dresses I found that due to my lack of height ballgowns or anything with too much volume made me look even shorter and I was kind of lost in them.  Plus with an hourglass figure I didn't look good in sheath, mermaid, or trumpet styles - the dresses were just not proportioned correctly for someone who is so short.  I would also say avoid halter styles as they don't look good on someone with a large chest.

Finally, even in an a-line silhouette I avoided anything with a dropped or basque waist, beading/detailing around the waist/hips, or sashes/belts etc.  because they chopped me up (I found that I preferred dresses that had a nice clean line with no visual breaks - horizontal lines did me no favours).  I also didn't like the way dresses with alot of heavy embroidery or beading at the bottom looked - they almost anchored me or weighed me down, making me look shorter - and ditto for heavy looking fabrics - chiffon or lace overlays look lighter and have more movement, which I think looks better on me.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine