DJ Rates

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

2KS Posts : 20 Registered: 1/23/08
DJ Rates
Posted: Sep 20, 2008 10:22 PM

I was just wondering what the typical rate for a DJ is.  A DJ that has been suggested to us charges $500 for 3 hrs then $150 for each additional hour.  Is this too high, average, or a good deal?  I am just asking because we just went to a wedding where they had someone play music off of an ipod and it seemed to work pretty well.  We were looking at DJ's because we don't really know anyone who could be in charge of the music/ipod.  I don't know girls tell me what you think.  I was also thinking of having a band and when they took their breaks we could play other styles of music that we would like off of an ipod. 

HLYflute Posts : 1,282 Registered: 2/5/07
Re: DJ Rates
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 10:15 PM Go to message in response to: 2KS

I think that sounds like a pretty good price, but it depends where you live.  DJ's cost a lot more in a place like NYC than they would in a small town in the midwest.  It never hurts to call around and get quotes from other people.

I have heard of people doing the ipod thing and it working out well.  You'd also have to look into the cost of renting speakers/equipment if you or the hall don't own it.  Personally, I wouldn't want to worry about it; I was enough of a control freak with the DJ we hired!

quinnandregan Posts : 2 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: 2KS

I'm getting married in Peoria, IL and our DJ is $500 for four or five hours (I don't remember exactly), and then $100/hour for each additional. I thought about the ipod thing, as well, but for my own peace of mind I just went ahead and hired a DJ. I don't want to have to worry about any of that at the reception!

nat3869 Posts : 2 Registered: 2/16/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: 2KS

As long as the DJ has good references or if you are familiar with their work, that is a very typical price for an organization that may employ several DJs.  Prices are much more variable when you deal with privately operated DJs who do jobs on the side for extra cash.  Some of them can be very reasonable because it's just a hobby for them and they would do it for free (so to speak).  Others are really trying to make it their business and end up charging more than the larger companies (and more often than not you won't be getting anything better).  Another important thing to remember when hiring a DJ is that large companies with several DJs are able to insure the date and have back-ups in case the DJ assigned to you gets sick or something.  You won't get that assurance with a private DJ.  Overall, expect to pay anywhere from about $500-$800 for a typical 4 hour dance.  Additional hour prices can vary depending on whether its for additional dance music or pre-dance dinner music.  I hop this help!  Good luck!

Love2u Posts : 1,661 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: 2KS

I am in the Phoenix metro area.  Those rates sound right along the lines of our DJ's - $600 for 4 hrs (not including the set up/disassembly) plus $150 each additional hour.

Love2uKiss

122 105 13 4
RSVP Date September 24

RanAway2Maine Posts : 2,359 Registered: 1/27/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 11:59 AM Go to message in response to: 2KS

Here is a recent thread about DJs which may also help you. Kelley has some useful information. Good Luck!

http://www.brides.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=462658&#462658 

LINDA JO and DEAN   July 19, 2008

pebbles06 Posts : 1 Registered: 4/1/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 12:00 PM Go to message in response to: 2KS

ya i think that is also a very good price. the price that we paid for ours is  i think 800 but that ixs because he did my soon to be cousin in laws wedding and also did my soon to be cousin in laws sisters wedding. i was impressed with the dj's dvd that he had.  when is your wedding? doing a band would be cool. was at a wedding in aug. and she had both a band and music. so it was nice. but personally id rather have a dj that way like u said can get a variety of music.

im just a girl standing in front of a boy asking him to love her-notting hill

carriekn Posts : 2 Registered: 2/20/07
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: 2KS

I think the prices are fine, our DJ is a flat rate of 800 for 5 hours.  We decided that we had to go with a PROFESSIONAL DJ that can also act as emcee because we want to make sure that our reception would move at the pace we wanted.  That will also help keep the traditions (cutting of the cake, 1st dance, garter toss & bouquet toss) coordinated.  One less thing to worry about, allowing you to ENJOY INSTEAD OF WORRY.  Best Wishes for a wonderful wedding! 

2KS Posts : 20 Registered: 1/23/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 11:59 PM Go to message in response to: carriekn

Thanks everyone!!  After looking around I thought that price seemed pretty typical.  I guess after going to some fun weddings that did it from an ipod the price seemed a little much.  But like some pp I too am a control freak and don't want to worry about the music so a DJ is probably the way to go.

IceBride Posts : 27 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 10:07 AM Go to message in response to: 2KS

Our DJ is a professional DJ with 25+ years experience. He will also serve as our emcee for the reception.

We're paying him $400 for 5 hours. The inital deposit was $75 with the remaining balance due the day of the wedding.

I think he's pretty reasonable, especially considering that the first DJ we spoke with was nearly $800 for five hours.

TheNewMrsJ Posts : 754 Registered: 1/6/08
Posted: Sep 25, 2008 11:20 AM Go to message in response to: 2KS

it all depends on the area - ours was $450 for set up and the first 4 hours, with each additional hour being $100. Our photographer told us that our DJ(s) have the best deal in town and they did a good job too. 

Your price sounds alright though, but again, it depends on where you live too, as different cities and their markets are different.

I'm in the Northern Illinois area.

countdown to your wedding

*September 13, 2008 *

gigglebox Posts : 4 Registered: 10/21/08
Posted: Oct 22, 2008 1:32 AM Go to message in response to: 2KS

The problem with hiring a band is you have to pay each memeber, plus provide them with food and drinks.  It adds up!! If you do the ipod thing, you are going to have to pay for speakers and have to worry about some one manning it.  Ask your dj, if he would play a pre-loaded cd of your favorite songs for the wedding. Or, ask if he has a back-up for him going to break. Don't forget to feed your dj and his crew.

There is only one happiness in life-
      to love
              &
               be loved

-George Sand

mrsmckay Posts : 13 Registered: 7/11/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2008 8:59 PM Go to message in response to: 2KS

That sounds like a great price.  In San Diego, it is $1200 for 4 hours and then $150 per hour.

Remember with a band they are limited to a certain genre and sound.  They might not be able to play a hip hop dance song, or AC/Dc, Frank Sinatra, etc. 

PinkHippo Posts : 53 Registered: 11/2/08
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 2:33 AM Go to message in response to: 2KS

I think the price sounds reasonable. We are paying $120 per hour no matter how long or short our reception is. They charge a flat per hour rate and set up at least one hour early....which I liked knowing they will be there with plenty of time to spare and fix any problems. I called around and met with a few DJ's and request info from a few just to get a good idea of pricing in my area. We live in Dubuque Iowa but are getting married in Galena Illinois.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine