Are destination weddings really cheaper??

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24
Re: Are destination weddings really cheaper??
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 10:02 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

it of course depends on what all you feel like you need/want for your wedding. we are getting married on a beach in St Thomas and there will basically just be us, my parents, a few friends, the officiant, and the coordinator, who is also our photographer. I figure the scenery will be decoration enough, so I'm not paying for any flower petals or arches or music or anything like that. we'll have the sky and beach scenery and the ocean waves crashing, I feel that's all we need to make it perfect! so our ceremony will be about $400 (plus $100 for the marriage license). I'm thinking we'll pay for an island tour for our guests after the ceremony, so that will run $25ish per person. we're just there for the day as our cruise ship docks there, so we won't have to provide any meals or party, it's all on the ship. so there's that cost... but we're just paying for ourselves, and our guests pay their own way... after all, they're getting a week-long vacation out of it, it's not just for our ceremony! we've gone frugal on rings: I scoured ebay until I found and engagement ring that I felt was perfect for me, and it was less than $100. I'm sure our bands will be in the same range. I'm looking at dresses (won't buy for several months) but have already decided to spend no more than around $200 for that (ebay is my hero!!). our formal reception will be held in our hometown a few weeks after our cruise. that will be the heftiest part of the budget b/c I hope to rent a place, have a catered meal, open bar, etc. but I think it'll only be 50-75 guests, so I hope not to go too overboard there. I'll be searching ebay, after holiday sales, etc for decorations and other needed items for our reception, and will do my best to find inexpensive, quality vendors. I'm sure that overall, I may spend around the same if I'd gotten married in our hometown, because I know I'd be frugal either way, and would probably do a cruise honeymoon anyway... but it won't be nearly as fantastic of an experience as getting married on a tropical island! plus, our photos will be incredible, I'm sure!!
DaisypathWedding Ticker

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 9:48 PM Go to message in response to: MaunaLaniBride

M,

What about the cost of the reception?  That is all included when they do an all inclusive>  I have priced weddings in Hawaii for 50 avg.. and the cost still comes out the same as it is here in the states.

On another note.. did you know that if you take a cruise to the Hawaiian Islands now you need a passport because some of the islands the cruise lines stop at are not US islands.. is that not nuts.

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Cool Have a great day! and Congrats to you

Tammy

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Nov 23, 2007 12:59 PM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

There're a lot of factors that determine cost for a DW.

I think it's kinda shitty to invite your friends and family to a DW wedding at an all-inclusive to avoid paying for dinner and drinks.  This also dictates where your guests stay plus the guests are in effect paying for their own meal at your wedding reception - TACKY.  What if the guest doesn't want to stay at that particular all-inclusive resort?  What if the guest can't afford that stay at that particular all-inclusive resort?  There's also limited choices at all-inclusives which may be fine for some people but it would definitely not have worked for me.  Again, a good deal really depends on many factors. 

The guests at our wedding could stay where ever their budget permitted and we covered the cost of the wedding reception.  There are many options for receptions everywhere for a variety of budgets, I'm just saying that an all-inclusive is not required for a budget friendly wedding.

I know many friends that take all-inclusive vacations and love them but I'm not a fan of hosting a wedding at one.  A website that has been really helpful for our friends is www.allinclusiveoutlet.com - they saved tons of money and were assigned a TA to help them through the process. 

P.S.  Not all Hawaiian cruises require passports, actually most do NOT require passports.  Here are a couple good websites for cruises:  www.cruisecompete.com and www.cruisecritic.com

P.S.S.  My opinion on passports is that everyone should have one but that's a whole other conversation :)

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/2od5dr

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/2zatxp

gabs1019 Posts : 4 Registered: 12/19/07
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

My wedding isn't until winter 2009 so I'm kinda all over the place! Ideally I'd love to do a DW (prob around 50 guests) with a really luxurious theme. Our budget is about 50K with the focus on photographer, flowers, favors, and decor. We  figured we'd try to get the best rates on the actual venue and splurge on the rest. Have you helped anyone with a Mexican resort maybe in Cancun or Cabo?

slippinx12 Posts : 8 Registered: 6/11/08
Posted: Sep 13, 2008 1:06 AM Go to message in response to: gabs1019

My destination wedding is actually a ton cheaper than the wedding we started to plan at home.  At the end of the day, I expect the wedding to cost about $15000 - (mostly because my mom offered to pay for her sisters and brother to come on the cruise) - and at home, the site was $15000 by itself without catering or alcohol or anything! Plus, we get to go on a cruise with 46 of our friends and family for 5 days to the carribean. awesome!

jetsetter Posts : 13 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 12:06 PM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

Just because you have a reception at an all-inclusive resort where the guests are staying, Does NOT mean that the reception is free or included!  Anytime you have a private event, reception or over a minimum number of guests which depends on the resort, you can expect to pay a per person charge additional for menu, set up, wait staff etc... This per person cost depends on the number of guests and the chosen resort,, but a private dinner or reception is not included..

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: Sep 28, 2008 10:48 PM Go to message in response to: jetsetter

You can get married at the Riu in Ocho Rios and have 65 guests.. which the average for a destination wedding is 50.. for ABSOLUTELY FREE..  ( not including photography or the fee for the officient)  rehearsal dinner at St. Annes is free.. and set up free, and the reception at Mamees for a semi private reception is free including set up.   

Cool Have a great day! and Congrats to you

A free wedding...is it for real? ask Tammy

jetsetter Posts : 13 Registered: 1/24/08
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: elitegrp

That sounds great, but St Annes is a buffet style restaurant or Mammees semi private vs a private function say on a terrace or beach is a completely different thing altogether...

MissMac Posts : 142 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: jetsetter

I have recently decided to do a DW and so far it seems to have cut my expenses in half...i was trying to stay around 10k here, with my uncle making the cake and doing the catering and my doing my own stuff here and there.  So I have not booked yet but from my research its looking like it will be around 5 or 6 K and thats including a lobster buffet dinner for about 50 guests!

I am glad that I have decided to do a DW

True Love is gift from God

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 7:05 PM Go to message in response to: 1SexyBride2B

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine