NWR Current Events Thread

Online Users: 1,324 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,414

MissyF Posts : 275 Registered: 9/23/07
Re: NWR Current Events Thread
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 12:02 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Thank you, and very well put, overall. No hard feelings and thanks for being a smart cookie! Smile

Woman to my man. Slave to my budget.

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 6:10 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Of all the universities in the world, why Ole Miss?  I mean really, would no other schools have been better?  I'm not saying this because I went to MS State either.
Also, why are all the debates east of the Mississippi River?  Have they always been like that?

I like to move it, move it! She likes to move it, move it! He likes to move it, move it! We like to...MOVE IT!!!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 6:57 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

care that my daughters my have to make a very difficult decision about their reproductive health one day and they may not have that ability. 

And I care about the hypocrisy of a government that thinks it should do less spending on social programs and wants to downsize how it responds to the country as a whole also thinks that it has a right to micromanage MY body.  If they aren't going to provide for the country with programs that benefit everyone else, then they need to keep their nose out of things that I'm not asking them to pay for. 

They don't need to be telling me that I can't have an abortion or birth control when they don't want to spend the money to take care of soldiers in a war that they started (and don't want to count the costs of in their budget).

It's not right that they think that social programs are irrelevant and don't need to be funded by the tax payer, but they sure as heck think that they can get in my business.  Maybe if they focused on... oh, I don't know...governing, they'd realize there are a lot of things that need to be done and they should prioritize, starting with the economy.  When they make this world a perfect place, then I'll take some SUGGESTIONS from them over how to live my life.

wedding countdown

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 10:39 PM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsMorris

Im sorry about the text that is the way it was sent to me. Let me clarify I am an Obama supportor

Honestly, I dont' care that you are an Obama supporter.  The text was unreadable and the information unsubstantiated (see myra).  It was just there to flame.

If you had given your opinion and then posted it in a viewable font (and you can change that when you post) it could have been a more debatable post.

And I'm for differing opinions - MissyF is the only one posting a dissenting opinion, but she does in a clear and concise manner.  And I respect that.

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 11:38 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

MissyF:

My general view is that I think that there should be quality, affordable health care for all and that people should be able to find work at a liveable wage and be able to save for a proper retirement.

These are my domestic goals. 

To be honest, I don't care how they are achieved.  I don't care if the rich foot the bill.  I also don't care if these goals are achieved through public or private means. I just want it to actually work.

What I frequently feel from Republicans is that they do care about this stuff. . .but only to a point.  They are not willing to sacrifice their commitment to universal low taxes and small government, even if doing so would increase the quality of life for all people.  Their commitment to low taxes and small government is simply too important.

This is what burns my hide.  It's a commitment to ideology over people.  That's what bugs me, and that's what I occasionally see in the arguments you've been making. 

As for Obama being able to just make it all happen. . .I do think he possesses unique qualities that we have not seen in any politician in my lifetime.  If you read his speeches, from education to economics to foreign policy, what I see there is a pragmatic person who asks the right questions to get the best possible outcome.  A perfect outcome?  No.  But I will settle for the best possible one.

I think his instincts are in the best interest of the American people, rather than in the best interests of staying true to a particular ideology.  If you think that America is a country that is better when its government is small, or when its taxes are low, then you and I will always disagree.  I think the country is best when its people are optimistic about their future and feel like they can give their children a better life.  And if doing so means that the rich forgo their riches (and no one has ever been driven to poverty by an increased tax rate), then that's just a necessary sacrifice for the good of us all.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

What I frequently feel from Republicans is that they do care about this stuff. . .but only to a point.  They are not willing to sacrifice their commitment to universal low taxes and small government, even if doing so would increase the quality of life for all people. 

What would be hilarious, if it all weren't so scary, is all of the Republicans yelling, "Regulate, regulate," when they're been fighting that for years. Do you realize that the government has just bought and now is controlling a large part of our supposedly "free" economy? That under 8 years of a Republican administration we've just socialized our economy? Truly, it's laughable.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

CyclistLover Posts : 1,183 Registered: 7/9/07
The Politicial Debate Thread - not Current events
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Just thought I'd change the name since the topic is pretty much politicial

Happiness is a puppy greeting you at the door!

I hope you don't get hit by a city bus Cool

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Re: The Politicial Debate Thread - not Current events
Posted: Sep 22, 2008 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: CyclistLover

I wish I could change the topic to what's going on in the economy and the government bailout of banks and that insurance agency. . .except I'm so completely freaked out.  All I know is that the de-regulation of the banking and finance institutions in our country (which, I have to admit, also happened under Clinton's watch) led to some short-term economic advantages and now a long-term economic meltdown.  I just want someone who has the economic instincts to get us out of this mess. . .although everything I've read has suggested that we will not be out of this mess for several years. 

Here's one thing that I've always found troubling. . .I know that people frequently look at retail sales as an indicator of how the economy is doing; meaning when people buy stuff, this is supposed to be a good thing.  But, isn't the fact that Americans have been spending money and not saving a bad thing?  Like, in the past I always here people on TV say stuff like "if we say we're in a recession, people won't spend money, and if people don't spend money, we'll be in a recession" and I always think to myself, shouldn't we be encouraging people to not spend money because they should be saving more?

It's kinda like gas prices.  It sucks that they are so high, but then again, it took 4 dollar gas to get people to start thinking seriously about alternative sources of energy and to get the politicians to start talking about it. 

It just feels like it takes a crisis for Americans and American politicians to do what they should have been doing all along.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

BoysMissLady Posts : 932 Registered: 1/18/07
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 12:26 AM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsMorris

Wow!  Ladies, this is an awesome thread.  And there are so many things to respond to.  But I don't have the energy to do so at this time.  But what I will say is Mrs. Morris, ppl send me this type of trash all the time and just like the fact that Sarah Palin was the point guard on the basketball team is unnecessary and doesn't amount to a hill of beans, it's the same thing when it comes to the occupation of Barack Obama's deceased father.  When I get spam like this, I usually just delete it.

Secondly, Kennys, thank you!  I sometimes wonder if conservative Republicans live in the same universe as I do.  And I would say I'm a fairly conservative Democrat.  It infuriates me that ppl in this country are dying, suffering, and starving and b/c it's not happening to you or to those in your neighborhood you think that it's ok and somehow think it's not 'really' happening.  It angers me that women don't realize that a vote for McCain and Palin is a vote to strip yourselves, your daughters, and granddaughters of their rights.  It pisses me off that as a country we are just as prejudice today as we were 40 years ago...and that ppl like Dr Phil (who was made by a black woman) can get on a nationally syndicated radio show and admit to using racially offensive language and think his excuse is acceptable.  SIDE BAR:  I am really sick of folks doing things that permanently alter your life and then saying "I'm sorry" like that makes it all go away.

This country is in shambles...and if McCain is elected there is NO TURNING back!

BTW, I'm ordering Schoolhouse Rock for my students!

"And there you go!!" Said the ULTIMATE old hag...

I'm fresh out of tickers.  Kiss

Current events - The BailOut and Economy
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 7:22 AM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

MrsD-

I'm freaked too.  I have very little understanding of the economy and all, so it's hard for me to understand what we're doing and the possible repercussions.  

But I'm not exactly happy that we're bailing things out to the tune of $700 billion - where exactly are we getting this money?!?!

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: Current events - The BailOut and Economy
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 4:12 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Just fyi, to add a little perspective to what Paulson is DEMANDING we do, along with Bush's help.  McCain is also on board, I think, although lately he's been changing his mind 2-4 times/day.

Anyway, I sure hope they put some restrictions on this bail out and do NOT let Paulson have the unquestionable authority to spend $700 billion, plus at will, with absolutely no accountability to anyone.  

This was posted on msnbc.com and I thought it was interesting.  

Cost of the bailout (in perspective)

Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:24 PM by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: ,

From NBC's Domenico Montanaro
Just how big is the proposed Wall Street bailout? Let's look at how it compares to some other numbers...

-- $700 billion: proposed Wall St. bailout
-- $695.4 billion: GDP of Taiwan. If the bailout were a country it would be the 21st largest GDP, larger than most nations.
-- $580 billion: cost of Iraq war (so far)
-- $515.4 billion: proposed 2009 Pentagon budget
-- $315 billion: McCain's nuclear energy plan
-- $295 billion: amount Pentagon overspent original budgets by.
-- $150 billion: Obama's energy plan
-- $50-$65 billion: Obama's health care plan, per year
-- $59.2 billion: proposed 2009 U.S. education budget
-- $10 billion: McCain health care proposals, per year
-- $38 million: Hank Paulson's post-2004 salary as Chairman, CEO of Goldman Sachs
-- 16.1 million: number of median Ohio household incomes ($43,371 as of 2004) that would add up to the bailout -- or about THREE Ohios.

EDITOR'S NOTE: An earlier version of this post incorrectly listed where on the GDP list the bailout would be. It's actually higher.

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 8:33 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Sorry to shift away from the economy discussion, but it case you haven't heard, when Sarah Palin was mayor, rape victims were charged for the cost of processing rape kits ($500-$1200 each).

From CNN: http://tinyurl.com/3qtezn

There's also a good story on Huffington Post. It's a partisan site (left wing), but this reporter dug deeper than in any of the other stories I've read. 

http://tinyurl.com/4vu7z7

I can't believe this isn't getting more attention and more outrage.

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 8:45 PM Go to message in response to: SeasideBride06

This has been posted and discussed on here and some other places.

I've actually seen some better articles with more info - I'll have to go digging again.

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 8:49 PM Go to message in response to: SeasideBride06

And back to an economic issue...a few pages ago, I posted a URL for a calculator that will tell you how your taxes will change under each candidate's plan. Several people said is wasn't working for them. I just went to the site and it worked fine for me, so if you want to try again, here's the site http://alchemytoday.com/willobamaraisemytaxes.html

And in case it stops working, here are a few examples:

Married, two earner, no children, adjusted gross income $50,000

Obama: -$970.76

McCain: -$39.34

Single, no children, AGI $15,000

Obama: -$896.21

McCain: -$18.69

Married, two earner, 1 child, AGI $500,000

Obama: +$10, 279.69

McCain:  -$4205.22

RSS

Thank You