NWR Current Events Thread

Online Users: 1,247 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 1,414

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: NWR Current Events Thread
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 9:25 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

I know me too!  I remember seeing them while I was watching Saturday morning cartoons.  I still think I probably learned more about the processes of government from them more so then any thing I learned in school (how sad is that?!?!).

I'm seriously buying this!

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 19, 2008 12:11 AM Go to message in response to: MissyF

in order to provide such services on such a massive scale, money has to also be collected on a massive scale, many things have to be made mandatory, and what happens is a gradual encroachment upon your rights, and a loss of your CHOICES. It is impossible to completely eradicate injustice without removing all of our rights,

Change of subject--back again. Missy, I honestly don't even begin to get how eradicating injustice would lead to loss of our rights--but anyway.

As to the first part of what you said, money is being spent on a massive scale one two wars right now.Leaving Iraq would allow us to finance every social program that anyone has ever imagined--health care, infrastructure, and then some.

As for not taxing you and letting you invest your own money--where would you put it? MerrillLynch?Lehman Brothers? WaMu? Enron shares? Or maybe you'd just buy a nice house (perhaps with an adjustable mortgage). Have you been paying attention in the last few days? Who do you think is paying to bail out these failed corporations? That's right--YOU (and me, of course!) And you know WHY you're holding this bag? Because of de-regulation. In other words, had the government provided oversight, MAYBE you wouldn't be bailing out big corporations right now. Maybe the billions of dollars in surplus that Bill Clinton left behind would not have been squandered. Maybe your house value would not have fallen by around 50%. Maybe your stocks wouldn't be in the tank and your bank about to go under. And maybe your government wouldn't be so far in debt that your grandchildren will still be paying when we're all long gone.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Sep 19, 2008 7:44 AM Go to message in response to: myra

I have been reading Missy's post and trying really hard to understand her views but everything she has posted has only served to confirm my beliefs.  I have always thought Republicans were brainwashing their supporters and now I am convinced of that.  If people are thinking that more of the same is the only way to save this country we are really in big trouble. 

I don't understand how people can not see that the economy is in major trouble the fact that they are spending more today for the same goods they bought last year doesn't matter.  The fact that their neighbors are losing their homes doesn't matter.  Katrina, Ike, Hanna, Gustav, don't matter.  The fact that people have to choose between medication and paying their bills doesn't matter.  People are losing their jobs left and right, they are unable to find new jobs and this doesn't matter.   I can not understand these thought processes. 

I need more.  I need to be able to feed my children and educate them.  I need to know  I can retire and enjoy my retirement,  I just don't see any of this happening with these so called Mavericks that have done nothing but lie to me about everything.  When I listen to them they just give a lot of double talk. 

Come on seriously what does Gov. Palin being a point guard on a basketball team have to do with Women's rights? 

Oh yes, I forgot my all time favorite is because of the troop surge we are now winning a war we should never have been fighting.  Too many of our children have been killed or maimed in a senseless war.  We are paying for the war, we are paying for the damage we caused by starting the war.  This is fine with these people.  Our soldiers come home and are treated like crap.  Their families are suffering while they are gone and this too does not matter. 

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 7:47 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

PTG.  I am going to get it also, I want to show it to my son I think he will enjoy it. 

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 9:57 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

OK Breaking News is that a Train Hit a Bus in Downtown LA!  Nothing else yet.  Reports of some injuries.

Wasn't that big train wreck earlier this week in LA?

EDIT:  Now I can't find anything about it...  So I have NO idea.

Message was edited by: PharmToxGirl

SoontobeMrsMorris Posts : 35 Registered: 8/16/07
Posted: Sep 19, 2008 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Ok I know this is long but I just got this email and Im trying to fact check it but there is alot of information on it and I was wondering what you ladys thought.

TERRY ANDERSON, A BLACK LOS ANGELES TALK RADIO HOST, WENT DOWN A LIST OF THINGS SENATOR OBAMA HAS SAID THAT Aren't EXACTLY CORRECT...

Obama's Not Exactlys

1.) Selma March Got Me Born - NOT EXACTLY, your parents felt safe enough to have you in 1961 - Selma had no effect on your birth, as Selma was in 1965. (Google'Obama Selma ' for his full March 4, 2007 speech and articles about its various untruths.)

2.) Father Was A Goat Herder - NOT EXACTLY, he was a privileged, well educated youth, who went on to work with the Kenyan Government.

3.) Father Was A Proud Freedom Fighter - NOT EXACTLY, he was part of one of the most corrupt and violent governments Kenya has ever had.

4.) My Family Has Strong Ties To African Freedom - NOT EXACTLY, your cousin Raila Odinga has created mass violence in attempting to overturn a legitimate election in 2007, in Kenya . It is the first widespread violence in decades. The current government is pro-American but Odinga wants to overthrow it and establish Muslim Sharia law. Your half-brother, Abongo Oba ma, is Odinga's follower. You interrupted your New Hampshire campaigning to speak to Odinga on the phone. Check out the following link for verification of that...and for more. Obama's cousin Odinga in Kenya ran for president and tried to get Sharia muslim law in place there. When Odinga lost the elections, his followers have burned Christians' homes and then burned men, women and children alive in a Christian church where they took shelter.. Obama SUPPORTED his cousin before the election process here started. Google Obama and Odinga and see what you get. No one wants to know the truth.

5.) My Grandmother Has Always Been A Christian - NOT EXACTLY, she does her daily Salat prayers at 5am according to her own interviews. Not to mention, Christianity wouldn't allow her to have been one of 14 wives to 1 man.

6.) My Name is African Swahili - NOT EXACTLY, your name is Arabic and 'Baraka' (from which Barack came) means 'blessed' in that language. Hussein is also Arabic and so is Obama. Barack Hussein Obama is not half black. If elected, he would be the first Arab-American President, not the first black President. Barack Hussein Obama is 50% Caucasian from his mother's side and 43.75% Arabic and 6.25% African Negro from his father's side. While Barack Hussein Obama's father was from Kenya , his father's family was mainly Arabs.. Barack Hussein Obama's father was only 12.5% African Negro and 87.5% Arab (his father's birth certificate even states he's Arab, not African Negro). From....and for more....go to..... http://www.arcadeathome.com/newsboy.phtml?Barack_Hussein_Obama_-_Arab-American,_only_6.25%25_African

7.) I Never Practiced Islam - NOT EXACTLY, you practiced it daily at school, where you were registered as a Muslim and kept that faith for 31 years, until your wife made you change, so you could run for office. 4-3-08 Article 'Obama was 'quite religious in islam'' http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=60559

8.) My School In Indonesia Was Christian - NOT EXACTLY, you were registered as Muslim there and got in trouble in Koranic Studies for making faces (check your own book). February 28, 2008. Kristoff from the New York Times a year ago: Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated (it'll give Alabama voters heart attacks), Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as 'one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.' This is just one example of what Pamela is talking about when she says 'Obama's narrative is being altered, enhanced and manipulated to whitewash troubling facts.'

9.) I Was Fluent In Indonesian - NOT EXACTLY, not one teacher says you could speak the language.

10.) Because I Lived In Indonesia , I Have More Foreign Experience - NOT EXACTLY, you were there from the ages of 6 to 10, and couldn't even speak the language. What did you learn except how to study the Koran and watch cartoons.

11.) I Am Stronger On Foreign Affairs - NOT EXACTLY, except for Africa (surprise) and the Middle East (bigger surprise), you have never been anywhere else on the planet and thus have NO experience with our closest allies.

12.) I Blame My Early Drug Use On Ethnic Confusion - NOT EXACTLY, you were quite content in high school to be Barry Obama, no mention of Kenya and no mention of struggle to identify - your classmates said you were just fine

13.)An Ebony Article Moved Me To Run For Office - NOT EXACTLY, Ebony has yet to find the article you mention in your book. It doesn't, and never did, exist.

14.) A Life Magazine Article Changed My Outlook On Life - NOT EXACTLY, Life has yet to find the article you mention in your book. It doesn't, and never did, exist.

15.) I Won't Run On A National Ticket In '08 - NOT EXACTLY, here you are, despite saying, live on TV, that you would not have enough experience by then, and you are all about having experience first.

16.) Voting 'Present' is Common In Illinois Senate - NOT EXACTLY, they are common for YOU, but not many others have 130 NO VOTES.

17.) Oops, I Misvoted - NOT EXACTLY, only when caught by church groups and Democrats, did you beg to change your misvote.

18.) I Was A Professor Of Law - NOT EXACTLY, you were a senior lecturer ON LEAVE.

19.) I Was A Constitutional Lawyer - NOT EXACTLY, you were a senior lecturer ON LEAVE.

20.) Without Me, There Would Be No Ethics Bill - NOT EXACTLY, you didn't write it, introduce it, change it or create it.

21.) The Ethics Bill Was Hard To Pass - NOT EXACTLY, it took just 14 days from start to finish.

22.) I Wrote A Tough Nuclear Bill - NOT EXACTLY, your bill was rejected by your own party for its pandering and lack of all regulation - mainly because of your Nuclear donor, Exelon, from which David Axelrod came.

23.) I Have Released My State Records - NOT EXACTLY, as of March, 2008, state bills you sponsored or voted for have yet to be released, exposing all the special interests pork hidden within.

24.) I Took On The Asbestos Altgeld Gardens Mess - NOT EXACTLY, you were part of a large group of people who remedied Altgeld Gardens . You failed to mention anyone else but yourself, in your books.

25.) My Economics Bill Will Help America - NOT EXACTLY, your 111 economic policies were just combined into a proposal which lost 99-0, and even YOU voted against your own bill.

26.) I Have Been A Bold Leader In Illinois - NOT EXACTLY, even your own supporters claim to have not seen BOLD action on your part.

27.) I Passed 26 Of My Own Bills In One Year - NOT EXACTLY, they were not YOUR bills, but rather handed to you, after their creation by a fellow Senator, to assist you in a future bid for higher office.

28.) No One on my campaign contacted Canada about NAFTA - NOT EXACTLY, the Canadian Government issued the names and a memo of the conversation your campaign had with them.

29.) I Am Tough On Terrorism - NOT EXACTLY, you missed the Iran Resolution vote on terrorism and your good friend Ali Abunimah supports the destruction of Israel .

30.) I Want All Votes To Count - NOT EXACTLY, you said let the delegates decide.

31.) I Want Americans To Decide - NOT EXACTLY, you prefer caucuses that limit the vote, confuse the voters, force a public vote, and only operate during small windows of time.

32.) I passed 900 Bills in the State Senate - NOT EXACTLY, you passed 26, most of which you didn't write yourself.

33.) I Believe In Fairness, Not Tactics - NOT EXACTLY, you used tactics to eliminate Alice Palmer from running against you.  

34.) I Don't Take PAC Money - NOT EXACTLY, you take loads of it.

35.) I don't Have Lobbysists - NOT EXACTLY, you have over 47 lobbyists, and counting.

36.) My Campaign Had Nothing To Do With The 1984 Ad - NOT EXACTLY, your own campaign worker made the ad on his Apple in one afternoon.

37.) I Have Always Been Against Iraq - NOT EXACTLY, you weren't in office to vote against it AND you have voted to fund it every single time.

38.) I Have Always Supported Universal Health Care - NOT EXACTLY, your plan leaves us all to pay for the 15,000,000 (That's 15 Million) who don't have to buy it.

39.) My uncle liberated Auschwitz concentration camp - NOT EXACTLY, your mother had no brothers and the Russan army did the liberating.

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsMorris

37.) I Have Always Been Against Iraq Not exactly you weren’t in office to vote against it and you have voted to fund it every single time.  38.) I Have Always Supported Universal Health Care - NOT EXACTLY, your plan leaves us all to pay for the 15,000,000 (That's 15 Million) who don't have to buy it.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Sep 19, 2008 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I loved Schoolhouse Rock!

I'm just a bill.
Yes, I'm only a bill.
And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.
Well, it's a long, long journey
To the capital city.
It's a long, long wait
While I'm sitting in committee,
But I know I'll be a law someday
At least I hope and pray that I will,
But today I am still just a bill.

wedding countdown

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 8:31 PM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsMorris

A) That font sucks and I can't even read it.

B) Where is the back up for what he has said, etc.  I've never heard most of these things in any interview, etc.

C) What's your point?

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 19, 2008 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsMorris

This is ridiculous! Your "Obama said"  facts are not things that he said, or they are taken out of context: e.g. "My grandmother has always been a Christian." Which grandmother? His mother's mother, who raised him, the one from Kansas? Of course she is a Christian. The one is Africa that he met once? I have no idea what she was religiously--probably not Christian.

I want Americans to decide "You prefer caucuses." Obama has no say whatsoever in how individual states decide to choose their delegates. He won both caucuses and elections.

"Because I lived in Indonesia I have foreign experience." So, you're discounting that having spent formative years in a foreign country would have an influence?

As far as I know, Obama has said (and investigation concurs) that his school was a public school, not a religious one.

Where do you get this stuff??? First you say things that he never said; then you "disprove" them. Great.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Myra - I'm impressed you were even able to read it.

I'm not giving myself a migraine because of the flipping font.

MissyF Posts : 275 Registered: 9/23/07
Posted: Sep 20, 2008 11:36 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Kennysoldwife -

I read an article recently that theorized that because of the instantaneous availability of information and, as a consequence, the speed with which so much of it could be disproved or argued, people have subconsciously learned not to believe much of what they hear. As such, we automatically fail to trust our leaders, because they repeatedly violate that trust. We fail to trust our teachers, because we later find out that what they taught us is inaccurate, and we fail to trust our friends, because we understand that everyone has a bias. Certainly we mistrust the media. This creates a situation where a massive amount of information and opinion (often not differentiated) ends up filtered through a type of logic where all we trust is our own personal experience.

Obviously, my personal experience does not match yours. But the original reasons I gave for NOT wanting to debate on this board have been validated. My intelligence and free thinking have still been disparaged, I have been accused of being brainwashed, of "drinking the Kool-Aid" and of "buying into the propaganda."

I didn't come on here to tell you all the way it is. I didn't come on here to tell you you're all stupid, brainwashed, emotional, cruel followers. I came on here because I wanted to be challenged by people I respect, and I was. I learned a lot, attempted to be cordial and respectful, and frankly, I don't think I deserve your condescension.

I don't deny the difficulties of our economy, I just disagree as to the causes and respective solutions to those problems. I do care about the suffering many people are experiencing as a result of these issues. I'm worried about being able to afford good healthcare for me and my husband, and good education for our children when we choose to have them in the coming years. I am concerned about placing my faith in politicians who, frequently by the nature of their positions, cannot be trusted. I am concerned about whether my friend's brother, fighting abroad, is going to come back, and about his mother while he fights.

Why is it that, because I disagree with you, I obviously just don't care? That I don't consider all the options to help, consider the flaws in the proposed plans to help, even in plans I might support? Your intelligence and morality seem intact, so why suggest I have none?

Woman to my man. Slave to my budget.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2008 1:23 AM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Anyone else watch the special program on CNN tonight "The Next President: A World of Challenges"? It was a panel discussion with Colin Powell, Henry Kissinger, Madeleine Albright, James Baker & Warren Christoper about what advice they would give on various issues: Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Russia, etc. Thoughts? 

I thought it was an interesting discussion but wish there had been time to go deeper--maybe make it a 2-hour program. I was disappointed in what they had to say about Iraq, which was basically, "The next president has to figure out a way to bring the warring tribes together and support the Iraqi government in that." Well, duh. They gave no specifics. How is it supposed to get done?

Posted: Sep 21, 2008 3:02 AM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Im sorry about the text that is the way it was sent to me. Let me clarify I am an Obama supportor and one of my friends sent me this email and I hadn't heard of most of it and I was just wondering if I was missing something or if there was any truth to it. Im sorry if I upset anyone Ive been reading this thread alot and I think that all of you ladys are realy smart and I enjoy everything that I read and was just looking for your opinions. thanks.

Posted: Sep 21, 2008 9:07 AM Go to message in response to: MissyF

have been reading Missy's post and trying really hard to understand her views but everything she has posted has only served to confirm my beliefs. 

I have always thought Republicans were brainwashing their supporters and now I am convinced of that.  If people are thinking that more of the same is the only way to save this country we are really in big trouble. 

Perhaps I should have stated that first part differently, What I meant was I have been reading your post and I have been trying to understand your views.  What you have said was well written,  and it made me understand how you came by your views.  However, what you have posted only confirmed my beliefs.   

I'm sorry where did I say you were brainwashed, or you didn't care.  I was speaking ofRepublican people in general. It just happened that you were the one posting these ideas. In my world your facts and figures just do not compute it just doesn't work where I live. 

The Republican candidate who continues to change his message  everyday and his running mate who continues to sidestep all the issues is exactly the same as the Republican candidate from the last two elections.  We have way more problems with our economy, the war, energy, education, crime our cities are falling apart, we have more and more homeless and unemployed.  All of these things have increased in the last eight years.    Based on the information you posted we will get more of the same and people want that they welcome that, they are begging to keep that.  Even now based on what their candidate has been saying and what has been going on in just the last month. 

I don't care if Obama called Sarah Palin a pig, he didn't but truly that is beside the point, I don't care if she was a point guard on a winnning basketball team.  I care that my paycheck won't go as far as it did the last time I got paid, I care that my son's school can't afford to buy all the supplies they need, I care that there are big holes in my streets because my city doesn't have the tax base to take care of these things.  I care that the company my daughter works for is going out of business and she will become one of the thousands of people who are unemployed.  I care that my nephew and my best friends son are about to go to Iraq.  I care that my father is spending more for his medications and doctors visits and he is on a fixed income.  I care that my nephew who was wounded in this unnecessary war may not get the medical treatment and more importantly the mental health treatment he needs because of the shabby way we treat our vets.  I care that my daughters my have to make a very difficult decision about their reproductive health one day and they may not have that ability. 

These are the things that concern me and mine.  It doesn't fit into the Republican platform. Does it mean you personally have no heart, No.  It means as I said what you posted confirmed what I already believed.  My opinion on certain things.  If you took it to mean you personally then I apologize for that.  It however does not change my opinion.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine