NWR Current Events Thread

Online Users: 1,311 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,414

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Re: NWR Current Events Thread
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 12:39 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Yeah, but you don't hear the question being asked about Obama "Should we be concerned about his race?

The answer to that is simple:  Race is not correlated with mental function; age is. 

I do think that you're assuming what she would do based on an impression of her.

I most certainly am -- but that's simply because she has such a limited record.  (And yes, Obama has too, but his opionions have been thoroughly vetted ruing the primary campaign. . .we're still finding out hers.)

I still believe that personal experiences are valid education: look at how many people on this board present their own background as authoritative, on subjects of abortion, healthcare, economics, and others.

I agree with you there -- I just don't believe personal experiences are enough.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Actually, she did cut it 3 years ago, and she DID cut it by half for the special olympics.  That's what i said.

However, I'd vote my ideology anyway, and McCain/Palin's economic plan is offensive to me.  

Check out the test at politicalcompass.org

I just took it, and am on the bottom, far, far, far left.  That should clarify who I'd vote for for both social and economic reasons.

Probably, you and I couldn't be further apart, but I do appreciate the lack of nasty name calling.  It's rather refreshing for a change.

What about troopergate, the bridge to nowhere, the road to nowhere, etc, etc, etc.  Why does she even need to lie?  People liked her before, and now she's losing that support because the lies have been so blatant and so easily debunked.  

It is stuff like that that causes me to continue thinking that they are just so far out of touch and insincere...anything for the white house and nothing he says is true.  (that's what I believe, it's my perception, and my opinion based on observing mccain from 2000 to now)

MissyF Posts : 275 Registered: 9/23/07
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

With all due respect, I'm not sure how your description of your family disproved my point: Your family is proud to serve their country, which is what I said. They are willing to lay down their lives for this country, which matches what I said about understanding the risk. I was not remotely suggesting that all the soldiers fighting in Iraq agree with this war: in fact, without looking it up, I would assume most don't. But they're still serving their country, because that is what wonderful families like yours do. It's exceptional to serve your people rather than simply a leader, and that's why I don't call anti-war folks unpatriotic. Hats off to you for exercising free speech while serving your country - not many people can pull that off.

Woman to my man. Slave to my budget.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Crap.  I'm thoroughly enjoying myself (despite being a little depressed that in the past 3 hours, there's been more thoughtful discussion of issues than there has been in the past week on the news) but I've got to break to do some more work. 

Looking forward to more banter later!

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 12:47 PM Go to message in response to: MsDenuninani

Yeah, but you don't hear the question being asked about Obama "Should we be concerned about his race?

The answer to that is simple:  Race is not correlated with mental function; age is. 

And honestly, the fact is, Obama's race comes up often where I am located.  I hear it A LOT, usually in the "there's no way I'm voting for a black man."

So while I know it should be a non-issue, it isn't.

mavjen Posts : 78 Registered: 10/21/07
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 12:50 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Is it fascinating to see how other countries really operate and what the opinions are of the the locals.  For example, I think it's interesting that there is a National Health System here where everyone is entitled to free health care.  But you pay through the nose for it.  A person making 40,000 pounds or more a year gets taxed at the highest rate of 40%.  40%!!!!  And this doesn't even include all the other types of taxes, licenses, fees, etc. that people pay just to go about their day-to-day lives.  It all adds up.  People here get very irate and sometimes hostile when they hear that they're paying for non-essential medical procedures like boob/nose jobs for other people.  I have been told that the NHS hospitals outside the center of London are horrid (e.g., the hospitals are disgustingly dirty, not enough food to feel all the patients, etc.).  Oh yeah, NHS will only pay for a routine pap smear every 3 years.  Wow.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 12:50 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Switching up some -

They are predicting a growing death toll in Galveston...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26754232/

There are still SO many people who are getting home to NOTHING.  I can't even imagine. 

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Questions in response to the world's longest response...

If you think abortion violates the unborn child’s right to life, why do you allow exceptions for cases of rape and incest? I see that as a morally inconsistent position. You’re willing to allow for abortion in certain circumstances, ones that you apparently believe would make it too traumatic for the pregnant woman to carry the child to term. So why is it up to you, or anyone else, to determine what circumstances make it okay to have an abortion? There are many women who have health issues that would make pregnancy dangerous for them and the fetus. There are medications that can’t be taken during pregnancy.

There is ample evidence that comprehensive sex education programs result in fewer teens having sex, a lower rate of STDs among those who do have sex, a later age of first-time intercourse, and fewer pregnancies. Why are you opposed to something that achieves thoe goals? If you don’t like abortion, shouldn’t you be in favor of something that reduces unplanned pregnancy?

"McCain doesn't use the internet, so he's unfit to be president.... where's the policy in there?"

It’s not a policy statement, but points out a fundamental weakness in McCain. This country runs on technology and the internet.  How can you understand the economy if you don’t understand e-commerce? Does he understand ‘net neutrality and why it’s a crucial issue? How many companies would hire someone who doessn’t have basic computer skills? His lack of understanding indicates a lack of intellectual curiosity.

As for Palin governing with help from knowledgable advisors, her history indicates the opposite. She surrounds herself with unqualified personal friends and anyone who doesn’t just say “yes sarah, you’re right” is gone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/us/politics/14palin.html?_r=1&em&oref=slogin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/13/AR2008091302596.html?nav=rss_politics/elections&f=1

If you want financial responsibility in government, why vote for Palin,  who put Wasilla $20 million in debt?

http://thinkprogress.org/wonkroom/2008/09/03/wasilla-in-debt/

Tens of thousands of Iraqis are dead, but that’s okay because no Americans have died? There is ample evidence that Bush and his cronies wanted to go to war with Iraq from day 1, used 9/11 as a rationale, and demanded evidence that supported their predetermined conclusion. There are about a dozen books on the topic, full of reliable sources, not conspiracy theories.

FYI, there ARE evangelical Christians who believe it’s their holy duty to do whatever they can to bring on the apocalypse. It’s certainly not all Christians, but they are out there, regardless of whether you’ve ever met one or not..

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jun/22/local/me-endtimes22

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/151/story_15165_1.html

Sorry about the giant text on the URLs and the changing fonts, it happened when I copied and pasted.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 1:03 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Boo!  hey Missy, Love that we can have an intelligent discussion instead of the "well, you're just an idiot" train that typically happens <G> (from both angles)

1  Re adoption:  I know people who want to adopt, and who will go out of the country rather than adopt here for a couple of reasons. A) Bureaucratic red tape.   There are some state agencies that make it hard BECAUSE they get federal funding for every child in the system.  Adoption takes them out of the system, while fostering does not.  That's not in the best interest of the child.  B) Court decisions returning children to birth mothers years after adoption because the momma realizes "she made a mistake."  Okay, maybe she did, but she needs to live with it and learn from it.  Period.   C) Restrictions on perfectly good parents.  I respect investigating adoptive parents to ensure that they provide suitable homes.  However, speaking as a person whose parents tried to adopt, and who would have been extremely happy to have an adopted sibling, I can tell you that they use ridiculous reasons to refuse them.  My parents were military and they were told by the State of Texas that they were unsuitable parents because they could not provide a stable environment.   Okay, yes, we moved every three years.  But thousands of Military BRATS go through that every day.  My dad made an effort to ensure I never changed schools in the middle of the year (even sending me to live with my grandparents on the one time he could not prevent it.  His orders were for October, and he would not be allowed to bring the family over until he got base housing.  So that would have meant I started in my current school, transferred to the one with my grandparents in October as my mom and I would have to live with them once he'd left the current assignment, and another transfer when he got base housing, which was in February.  Instead, I stayed with my grandparents my entire Freshman year).   Maybe my parents didn't stay in one location long, but they were good parents (they drive me crazy, but that is their job).  They made sure I focused on my education to the best of my ability, that they were always there for me.  And they wanted more children, but my mother was not able to have them.  So they tried to adopt.   and D)  Adoption should not be the province of the wealthy, nor should it drain a family's savings.

In a perfect world, childless couples would be able to adopt these babies who need them.  But we do not live in that world.

2.  I'm pro-Choice, and I'll likely annoy some Pro-Choicers when I say this:  I believe that there should be a waiting period.  I believe a woman should go into a doctors office and be informed what the procedure entails, including risks.  I believe she should be presented with information on all of her options -- contact numbers and help lines.   If she returns in three days, then the abortion can be performed.  The reason:  Some women panic, they do.  They don't know all their options.  They do not know who to contact.  They do not know what help is out there.  They're not making a CHOICE....they're reacting.   To make a choice, you must have all the information available.

And while the aim of pro-lifer (whom I call Anti-Choice, unless the individual is similiarly against the death penalty and war and chooses life in EVERY scenario, not just regarding the inhabitant of a womb) might not be to restrict your claim on your body but rather to protect the life inside, the two are not mutually exclusive.  You must either respect the person who is presently here or the unborn one.  One of them is going to get a higher priority to someone.  Anti-Choice (see above <G>) values the rights of the unborn over the right of the woman.  Pro-Choice values the rights of the woman over the right of the unborn.   This isn't vilification... I do hold a distinction between pro-Life and anti-Choice, because the two terms DO have different meaning.  There are also people who are pro-Abortion and that is (TRUST ME ON THIS) not the same as pro-Choice.

The goal of a pro-Choice and the pro-Life are ultimately the same though...we do want to reduce the number of abortions, and I am UTTERLY against women using abortion AS birth control (and here's my inner Republican, which scares me <G>).  I do feel that we need legislation that requires a woman to be fixed upon her third abortion!  (see....I warned you <G>... I do have some rather scary hard line positions.)  I am adamantly opposed to abortion as birth control. 

wedding countdown

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

There are two different things going one there.  After 9/11 many people were willing to sign up to go after terrorist for attacking us.  They knew the risks and were willing to pay it.  The war in Iraq is something entirely different, alot of service people don't believe in that war unfortunately because of their love of country they are doing their duty.  They did not sign up for George Bush's war.  The fact that enlistment is down is proof of that.  Again it is two entirely different things.  I would have gladly laid down my life for the defense of this country, but I would not have gone into this unjust war.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 1:07 PM Go to message in response to: cyndi33

Troopergate: The state trooper tasered a 10-year-old and made threats against Palin's family. And he's STILL a state trooper, even now. Furthermore, Palin has released memos that demonstrate records of the actual acts of legitimately defined insubordination, unrelated to the trooper, for which the commissioner was fired.

BTW, I took that test and ended up barely down and to the right from center, which puts me as a libertarian-leaning conservative. I thought a lot of the questions were worded ambiguously, though, in a way that they sort of lead you in one direction. Not bad, though, relatively accurate.

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 1:08 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

And honestly, the fact is, Obama's race comes up often where I am located.  I hear it A LOT, usually in the "there's no way I'm voting for a black man."

That sucks. I always hope that's died out and then I meet people who talk like that and it's just the most depressing experience.

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

From the non-partisan Tax Policy Center, a side-by-side comparison of McCain and Obama's tax proposals.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxtopics/election_issues_matrix.cfm 

And a calculator to see what would happen to your taxes

http://alchemytoday.com/willobamaraisemytaxes.html

Posted: Sep 17, 2008 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Dang, I have to go. Bad girl, blabbing on when I should be working. Anyway, thanks for all the excellent discussion, and talk to ya'll again soon.

mavjen Posts : 78 Registered: 10/21/07
Posted: Sep 17, 2008 1:13 PM Go to message in response to: mavjen

Someone asked about investment stimulating the US economy and why the economy is in the sh!tter right now.  Part of the reason is that the overall personal savings rate has been miserably low and even negative in recent history (2005).  So, you have the situation where many people have spent all of their after-tax income and need to dip into or deplete their savings or increase their borrowing.  Not pretty for the person doing this and not pretty for the economy.  More and more, people refrain from making certain purchases and the drop in sales/business affects those related industries/companies (all employers by the way).  A vicious cycle and can't be blamed on any political regime.  Nowadays, many people don't save and invest enough.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine