NWR Problem with doctor and I may actually DIE- Update

Online Users: 1,347 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 45

MisterKelley Posts : 258 Registered: 7/11/08
Re: NWR Problem with doctor and I may actually DIE- I don't know what to do
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 2:48 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Hi news, first off, let me say that I'm having a rare moment of empathy and wish you all the best as you battle whatever it is that's going on with your health. I'm going to play devil's advocate here because I see both sides of the healthcare biz - patients and hospitals. I'm not being critical of you,  just trying to understand what's going on with this situation. First off, what pain med is running through that pump? If it's Morphine then doctors will be pretty conservative when it comes to dosing since morphine is a narcotic and HIGHLY addictive. Oxycodone and Oxycontin (a.k.a. Perocet & Percodan) is also basically synthetic heroin and highly addictive. In short, most heavy duty pain killers are addictive and you also have to consider that every drug that enters your system has to eventually pass through your kidneys and liver. You don't want kidney failure on top of everything else that's going on. It sounds like your doctor isn't being very aggresive in managing your pain. What is his explaination for this? Keep in mind that lots of drugs don't play well in the sandbox with each other. It's just not possible to be on a number of different meds and not have some negative interactions between them. Also, and probabily the most important, pain management is just like putting a band-aid on a cut -  helpful but it doesn't do much to fix the cut. Finding the root underlying cause should be your phyician's first priority. Most people are willing to deal with pain if they know they're going to get better. It sucks but there's light at the end of the tunnel so you deal with the pain. This Dr.V that you spoke of -  will she take you on as a patient after 90 days or is she completely out of the picture? Either way, they need to figure out what's causing your pain.

EMT - Im not here to save your life, just prolong your miserable existence.

MrsMaldonado Posts : 2,852 Registered: 3/7/07
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 3:34 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

This is making me so sad!!! I truly & sincerely hope everything works out....

Bryan & Emy
September 27, 2008 & October 4, 2008
http://www.mywedding.com/BryanAndMariaEmanuelasWedding

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 8:16 PM Go to message in response to: MisterKelley

MrKelley, glad I caught you in a rare moment of empathy!  :)  Just to clarify: the pain pump is to be used- eventually, if/when it gets to the appropriate level- INSTEAD OF oral pain meds.  I know all about the side effects which is why I wanted off of the oral pain meds, especially since they weren't helping me AT ALL (wanting off them is what prompted my doctor to drop me- how psycho is that?).  The pump sends the meds directly up your spine and into your brain, bypassing the route that oral meds would take.  You also need a FAR lower dosage of medication in the pump than you would need to take orally; I don't know the exact numbers but it is something like 1/100th of what you would have to take orally. 

I have a lot of allergies and intolerances to various pain meds- morphine makes me break out in hives within seconds- so Fentanyl (and bupivicaine) is what is in my pump right now.  I titrated myself down off the Methadone that my doctor had been prescribing for me (I did it slowly, of course- I went through something similar a few years ago so I know how it is done and it went fine) and I now just take Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for breakthrough pain (once or twice or VERY occasionally three times a day).  If I can get up to the pump dose I should be at I will be able to discontinue the Dilaudid entirely.

Hope that cleared things us a little!

Had the refill today, the doctor was a prick as usual but I am happy to report that we didn't get arrested AND I got an audio recording of him being an asshole.  Not admissible in court, just evidence for whatever may come of this and for my own personal satisfaction of pissing him off a little.  :)

Oh, and my mom called Senator Ted Kennedy's office about this and they are HORRIFIED and  have offered to do whatever they can do to help.  We are going to ask that they speak with Dr. V and her boss and ask them to take me on as a patient.  Dr. V's boss is kind of a jerk and at this point we don't think he will let me be Dr. V's patient so this may be our only hope.  Thank goodness for Ted Kennedy!  :)

Oh, and the horrible doctors name is Rami Rustum at Lawrence General Hospital.  Avoid him at all costs and tell your family and friends- the man is a lying sociopath with no regard for the safety, health, and sanity of his patients.

Whew, felt good to get that out!

FinallyMrsF Posts : 285 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 8:51 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

newsie- I am sorry that you have had to go through this! I am a nursing student with a background as an anesthesia assistant. Some of the Dr's that I worked with run a pain clinic. I do not know if they use the pump you have or where in MA exactly you are, but they are located in Danvers. If you are interested in thier names please let me know and I will give them to you.

In MA its the Board of Registration that oversees all medical licenses ( I can't spell right now)

http://profiles.massmedboard.org/MA-Physician-Profile-View-Doctor.asp?ID=54432

That is the link for the profile for that Dr. Note that he has no Board Certification for Pain Management.

Good Luck!

Kerri and Michael 10/25/08

148 67 7 74 RSVP Date September 30

Message was edited by: SoontoBeMrsFarinato

stillgroovin Posts : 238 Registered: 11/12/07
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 10:06 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsF

That... sucks. It really does.

Well, unfortunately, Myra's right - the recording is inadmissable. And technically, I wouldn't tell any officials about it, because according to your state's law, recording a conversation without both parties knowing it is a crime. It's actually different state by state - Indiana, where I live, says just one person has to know. Very handy if you're a reporter!

I would suggest you stay in contact with Kennedy's office. They can't make Dr. V's office take you on, but they can probably pressure them. Just tell Teddy to use his charm on them!

This is why I fully support putting caps on malpractice suits. The money that doctors have to spend on malpractice insurance is ridiculous and 1) patients are the ones who actually end up paying and 2) it makes them terrified to take on cases where something might go wrong. Grrr! 

projectmrscole Posts : 546 Registered: 12/29/07
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Wow, I can't imagine having to go through all of that. I'm sure that dealing with pain is hard enough without having to deal with an asshole doctor. It sounds like you have a great family who loves and cares for you very much. I have a feeling that everything will work out for you and I will be hoping that it does! I googled his name and this is one of the first things that came up: http://www.valleypatriot.com/VP010607rustum.html     This article makes him sound so lovely (he lookes really nice in his picture too) BUT now we know better!!

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 4:25 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

I cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through!  It seems like you are a very strong woman to have gone through all this and still keep standing.  I think that calling Senator Kenney was a fabulous place to start and I hope that he can open some doors for you to get this taken care of.  I'm not sure about the legality of the recording in MA, but in NY, I know for recording phone calls, as long as it is a business call and not personal, only 1 party needs to be aware that it is being recorded.  However, that's just for phone calls.  I don't know about in person recordings.  While it may not be admissable in court, I don't think that recording him was illegal in any way.  You would just have to be careful about how you used the tape.  I wish you nothing but the best and hope that you can get in to the other Dr and they figure out something that works for you.  No one should have to live in pain, and certainly not in fear.   

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: Heidibride30

OK, so I just Google'd it and MA is a 2 party state so for the tape to be admissable he would need to know that you were recording him.  Sucks. 

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: Heidibride30

newsie - I think it sounds like things are started to look up for you. You're fine for the next 90 days now, right? You have the evidence to seriously piss off that doctor and his boss (WEE! That'll be fun!) And of course now you have Ted on your side.  Use him as a resource all you can! Ask him to make a few calls and see what can be done!

I know it's still a long road for you, but at least for now you can breath, right? 

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

TickledPeenk Posts : 175 Registered: 7/19/07
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 6:13 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Oh hon, I feel so bad for you!  I have suffered from chronic pain in the past so I know just how awful is to have to deal with that and how it just wears you down and then when you have people treating you horribly, (luckily for me my docs were great, it was my BOSS at the time who made it so awful) it just makes it all the worse!

I'm glad that you have Ted Kennedy backing you, though.  If anything will get this resolved, I'm sure that the government getting involved will!

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 10:21 PM Go to message in response to: Heidibride30

Thank you everyone, again, for your support.  Sometimes I feel so alone.  I am surrounded by my family and DH is here now but they are all so close to the situation that sometimes they make things worse by harping  on details and going over and over things.  It's nice to hear the point of view of other people.  :)

And just to clarify, I never made the recordings of my doctor for any specific purpose other than to prove that HE was the one who was dropping me, not the other way around.  It might not sound as though it would really matter but I knew that Dr. V wouldn't take me on unless Rustum dropped me (apparently in addition to the liability issues there are all sorts of politics involved in taking over the care of another doctor's pump patient even if the original doctor is a total bastard).  I guess in the end it didn't really matter...  Anyway, Rustum lied about a number of other things, too, so I figured if anything came up about him dropping me- as it did- at least I would be able to prove (to whoever necessary- his boss, Dr. V, whoever) that I, at least, was telling the truth.  I doubt that a lawyer will actually take me on for a malpractice suit since it is so difficult so it doesn't matter if the recording is admissible or not.

But- it DID piss him off when he saw me recording him at our last appt. and that was very, very satisfying!  :)

SeasideBride06 Posts : 958 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 10:31 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

If he knew you were recording him, you can use the tape. Does he say anything on the tape to indicate he knows you're recording him? Were you refused an appointment by a staff member, based on his instructions? He doesn't actually have to say it's okay to record him, if he had knowledge and continued the conversation, that's enough.

I would at least talk to a couple lawyers who specialize in medical malpractice. There's usually not charge for a brief initial conversation.

I would also definitely report him to the state medical licensing board. They will investigate the complaint.

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Sep 18, 2008 10:37 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Well then... he KNOWS that the recording was being done <eg>

I'm glad you have Teddy on your side!

wedding countdown

MrsJunebug Posts : 333 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Sep 19, 2008 12:52 AM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Sorry you're going through all this.  I'm sure the stress on top of the pain in not very pleasant to deal with.

Out of curiosity have you looked to see if any of Dr R's past patients have filed complaints against him?

Have you asked him to test or confirm Dr. V's diagnosis?

Wishing you the best.

formerly known as futuremrsj

seadreamer Posts : 522 Registered: 6/8/07
Posted: Sep 19, 2008 8:40 AM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Hi Newsie-

Well I am completely embarrassed and humbled about my self loathing after reading your post. My complaining and bellyaching about being unemployed pales so much in comparison to what you are going through.  I am so sorry.

I talked to  my dad, who is a doctor (not practicing anymore due to doctors like yours and changes in medical ethics.....mainly he works for the UN now going to underdeveloped countries and setting up competent hospitals) and he agrees that you need to take a different course of action.  First  and foremost, definately file a complaint with the state medical board.  Secondly, he said that you need to find the cause of the pain, and solve that.  Call Harvard Med, and he also mentioned Hopkins as they have excellent teams in place.  You  need your condition diagnosed, by a diagnostician.  Since you have your meds in place for a while, it should give you some time to make calls.

Hell if worse comes to worse, go down in person and MAKE someone see you.

Also-just in defense of medical professionals, not all doctors are butt heads.  My father is excellent.  He not only treats the problem, but he treats the patient as well.  When he was practicing, he would not have 15 minute appointments with patients, he would block 45 minutes with each patient to talk, listen, and treat the issue.  The other Dr.'s in his practice said he was not billing enough hours, so he resigned.

Newsie maybe you should remind this crappy doctor of his oath that he pledged to the patients.

Keep us informed and you continue to be in my prayers.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine