Save the date OR Invitation??

Online Users: 1,343 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 3

MissMac Posts : 142 Registered: 5/13/08
Save the date OR Invitation??
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 5:10 PM

We just recently decided on having a destination wedding (well for my guest, his family lives there).  So I wanted to choose the date etc ASAP so I can send out word to my guests to give them good notice.  So I was originally thinking that I would send save the date cards but I want to have an actual reception there since his family lives there and the price of having our reception here was one of the reasons that I decided to have it there.  So I will need to have at least a ballpark figure of how many people will be attending prior to the normal six week invitation guidelines.

So do I send Save the Date cards requesting that they let me know if they are even trying to come or is it ok to send the actual invitations now and then send reminders later???

And since most of his family lives there should we do it the other way around (the normal way) for them? or is that silly to have different invitations etc for them?

Please advise, thanks.

True Love is gift from God

STBMrsDreyfous Posts : 125 Registered: 3/26/08
Re: Save the date OR Invitation??
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: MissMac

I've heard its "improper" to use Save-the-dates as invites (aka requesting them to respond) so i would recommend just using regular invitations and just send them out a little early. If you don't hear back from your guests soon enough, give em a call!

Just my 2 cents :)

~Becca aka the soon to be Mrs. Dreyfous! May 9th, 2009!

MissMac Posts : 142 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 5:26 PM Go to message in response to: STBMrsDreyfous

Thanks for the response, but when you say a little early we are talking 8 months prior to the wedding, is that ok??
True Love is gift from God

STBMrsDreyfous Posts : 125 Registered: 3/26/08
Posted: Sep 16, 2008 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: MissMac

Yeah, thats pretty early.I think they consider "on time" to be 4-5 months before the wedding. But like i said, if you specifically say on the invites that you need peoples RSVPs by (insert date here), and you don't hear back from a number of them, just give them a call! They might just be super busy and forgot to drop it in the mail!! :)

~Becca aka the soon to be Mrs. Dreyfous! May 9th, 2009!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine