NWR Current Events Thread

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,414

LochNessie Posts : 1,631 Registered: 4/2/07
Re: NWR Current Events Thread
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 11:10 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

That article about Dani is just awful.  It's terrible that it had to get to that point for people to do anything about it.  I'm glad, though, that those two good people -- and their son -- took a chance and adopted her. 

I'm  curious to see how many of you guys have  heard about this:http://www.kinston.com/news/smith_49510___article.html/ecu_deputies.html

To summarize, some local (for me) cops were helping secure the crowd at an East Carolina University football game (go Pirates!).  After the surprise victory, students rushed the field.  A few of them were tackled, punched, body slammed by some of the police officers.

I know ESPN, CNN, USA Today and Headline News had stuff on it.

-Ness

Check out my work bridal blog: http://vclarke.encblogs.com.  I also need to come up with a name for it!  Who wants to help? 

Take a look at what I've got. I can't promise you a lot, but you and me and the road ahead. - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 11:33 AM Go to message in response to: LochNessie

I don't watch TV news so I didn't hear about it.  But it's a fairly typical story.

I can't find the video on youtube.  But I probably have a different view of things as DH is in law enforcement.  Basically, things happen in the heat of the moment.  And if you're where you are not supposed to be, then more things happen.

EDIT: OK i found the 5-10 second clip from CNN and other clips on youtube.  And the thing is in crowd/riot control it gets ugly.  But then if something else happens during crowd/riot then the cops are wrong for not doing anything.

Message was edited by: PharmToxGirl

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 11:56 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Loch- I hadn't heard about that. 

Pharm- I know what you mean about crying about that little girl.  I've been to the Heart site lots and lots of times.  There are just so many wonderful kids in need of a good home.  I told FH that if we had a child, we would adopt or foster another child.  I did a charity event with them at the St. Pete Times forum.  I fell in love with the children.  Yes, they ALL have special needs, whether it's mental or physical.  They don't have to have retardation but a lot of them suffer from the "I wasn't wanted by my mommy" complex so that's where the anger comes into play.  FH did the BigBros program.  He said it would break his heart to see how much these kids just wanted to be loved.

Here's the site.  If you don't want to just hug them all, then you have no heart. http://www.heartgallerytampabay.org/ Children for adoption is on the left hand side.  This little guy made me bawl. http://www.heartgallerytampabay.org/bio_template.aspx?childID=600  He's beautiful.  Look at the picture though.  He's in the middle, and the parent space is blank.  Just makes you want to fill that space and give him the world.

Knoxvegas Posts : 951 Registered: 9/12/07
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

I'm still trying to get over the Dani story. How can anyone treat a child like that? I just want to hug her and her adoptive brother William (what a great brother!). I did some mission work at an abused boys home a few years back and it broke my hear just like this. There were boys who were older than me at the time that had the capacity of small children because of abuse (born fine but abuse made them mentally handicapped). What is wrong with people? Not just the mom and her sons, but the people who left Dani with them after all those abuse calls. WTF!!?!

"Love is not a matter of counting the years -- it's making the years count."

-Wolfman Jack Smith

Mushaboo Posts : 2,165 Registered: 3/22/08
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 1:03 PM Go to message in response to: Knoxvegas

Exactly, Knox.  It goes back to the old saying "Hear no evil, see no evil."  People put wool over their own eyes and ignore the atrocities of other people.  (IE- I didn't want to see Dani suffering therefore she doesn't exist.) 

It seems to me that this is what her mother did to her.  I can't fix her.  I can't make her go potty so I'll stick her in a room and pretend she doesn't exist.  Sad. 

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 5:24 PM Go to message in response to: Mushaboo

The article about Dani absoluetely breaks my heart.  I've read Dave Pelzman's books about the worst case of child abuse in California history, and I only hope that Dani is able to overcome this and be a fairly normal child someday.  Thank god for people like those who adopted her, and my grandmother who has always fostered/adopted mentally disabled children who were either abused or their parents were unable to care for them. 
The interview with Palin was scary.  I know most politicians try not to answer questions that make them uncomfortable, but I'm glad he didn't let her get away with it.  He also made her look even more like a fool because she didn't know what Bush's doctrine is.  I also loved that "I'm confused by your blizzard of words!"  Too funny, and so true. 

I love the SNL clip, especially Hillary!

To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

Lao Tzu

MissyF Posts : 275 Registered: 9/23/07
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Hi, Newsjunkie.

I tried to read everyone's posts (sorry), but I got bored with the lack of dissenting views and the hyperbolic language - hence, why your post caught my eye.

Thanks for asking. I'm a Republican, and the main reason I haven't posted is simply because I've been busy for a while and haven't been to the boards in AGES (in fact, I should be working right now.... bad girl!).

Aside from that, though, the reason I'm not encouraged to discuss my views is because most people will not even bother to consider that I have reached such opinions through careful research and consideration. I know that most Democrats will simply write me off as stupid and/or heartless, EXACTLY as they're currently doing to Sarah Palin. There are many, MANY people on both sides of the aisle who find it impossible to believe that two people of similar intelligence and compassion could come to different conclusions based upon their unique experiences. Another destructive assumption is that if you agree with one aspect of a party's platform, then you SURELY agree with the rest of it. I'm sure you get that crap as much as I do.

Unless someone asks me a specific question, I'm not going to comment on my support of McCain/Palin (because the most frequent response is "LIES!"), but I would like to point out an interesting note that both parties have in common: neither party is likely to achieve its stated aims.

I have every belief that Barack Obama has the best intentions, and furthermore, I believe that he and his followers think his policies will be better for America. I don't happen to agree, but in all honesty, Obama's record is not one of "getting things done," anyway. You notice that the vast majority of his accomplishments are things that he "was involved in" rather than something he LED? Why would he be trusted to lead, especially considering his apparent inability to make a decision, as evidenced by the voting record that, if not "present," consistently sided with his own party? That hardly shows that he has the guts or the knowledge to lead in difficult times, and that indecisiveness even extends to his campaign: to date, he's changed his position on energy, taxes, and other issues, and when questioned about those changes, he states that he's "always said that we should...." as if that's been his position all along. Even if I agreed with Obama, I would be way nervous about the fact that he can offer me no reason for confidence in his skills. The ability to inspire and the ability to lead are two completely different things.

..... which brings me to the corresponding problem with the Republican ticket: despite their advertised and legitimate reputations as "mavericks," Republicans do not have a history of a) sticking to their values, and b) showing the bipartisan ability to get things done even with a congressional majority. Repubs claim to be the party of limited government, but LOOK at the absurdly bloated government we have now, thanks to them. McCain's recent swing to the right doesn't give me MORE confidence - in fact, it concerns me, because his record is not conservative, so why should I believe that this sudden change is genuine? Also, EVERY candidate says they're going to shake up Washington, and has anyone ever done it? (Reagan did, but that got reversed as soon as he left office.) And FEAR NOT, pro-choicers! If the Republicans couldn't overturn Roe v. Wade in over a decade of congressional power, I'd bet everything I've got that they can't do it now, either.

On that subject, I would like to take a short detour: Palin does not want to take away a "woman's right to choose." What she wants is for Roe v. Wade to be overturned, which would NOT outlaw abortion, simply return it from a federal issue to a state issue. Allowing individual states to decide on a sensitive social issue is appropriate and constitutional, and I would even argue that it PRESERVES rather than limits individual rights by limiting the federal government's power over Americans from whom they are far removed. Furthermore, Palin has stated that it is merely her personal opinion that abortion should not be allowed even in cases of rape and incest, but that she has no intention of making that belief into policy. She has said that she respects the opposing view, which is more than we can say for many of the people who oppose HER. For me personally, I think abortion should be legal ONLY in cases of danger to the mother, rape, or incest. Those three cases combined account for only 2% of all abortions, which means a whopping 98% are for socio-economic reasons. One popular given reason is the inability of the mother to afford care for the child, so isn't it better to not have it than to introduce it to a life of potential poverty? I would sympathize with that view were it not for the thousands of couples who are unable to have children, and would give anything to provide a comfortable and loving home to that unwanted infant. This is another thing that Palin says with which I agree: the government should encourage other options for women, such as adoption.

That said, I have no delusions about Palin or her experience. I like her a lot, but I am tremendously skeptical about her and McCain's ability to shake up Washington the way they claim.

As for McCain's age..... there are so many claims in this campaign of racism or sexism, but what about agism? Why does everyone seem to think that McCain's going to drop dead at any minute? Reagan was only two years younger than McCain when he was elected for his first term as president, and 78 by the time he left office. Even among his detractors, he's still considered one of America's most effective modern leaders. Honestly, if there was even a SLIM chance that McCain would keel over in the near future, I don't think he would even run for office, because he would consider it a disservice to his country. Any president runs the risk of slipping in the White House bathtub one day, but to suggest this is more likely because a healthy man is older is just flat-out rude. I'm not saying his VP pick isn't important, merely that McCain's imminent death is being treated more as an inevitability than as a possibility.

This is getting crazy-long.... I'd better stop. Anyway, that's my lone voice of opposition. Hope it helped to explain the Republican perspective a bit better. Specific questions to direct discussion are welcome!

Woman to my man. Slave to my budget.

Nalamienea Posts : 2,924 Registered: 6/13/08
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 7:02 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

MissyF - I haven't had time to formulate an intelligent response to your post yet, but I wanted to say thank you for such a rational explanation of your views. I'd have to agree with you on topics such as racism, and the fact that neither candidate is really going to be able to do what they say, you and I definitely have those opinions in common, but we definitely differ in some of the others such as abortion and the republican ticket, but I like that you were able to put your opinions out there in such a clear and concise manner.  In short.... Well said! :)

http://www.chrisandsarah2008.net

wedding ticker

Posted: Sep 14, 2008 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Aside from that, though, the reason I'm not encouraged to discuss my views is because most people will not even bother to consider that I have reached such opinions through careful research and consideration. I know that most Democrats will simply write me off as stupid and/or heartless, EXACTLY as they're currently doing to Sarah Palin.

That's a two way street if ever there was one.  I've been told to my face that I'm stupid by numerous people because of how I voted previously, and it wasn't even for the democrats.  One guy who made the mistake of doing it got his ass chewed out one side and then the other.  He was apologizing to me by the time I was done.

I don't have to agree with you, but NO ONE calls me stupid.

Posted: Sep 14, 2008 11:31 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Throughout her political career, she has pursued vendettas, fired officials who crossed her and sometimes blurred the line between government and personal grievance, according to a review of public records and interviews with 60 Republican and Democratic legislators and local officials.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26691018/

EDIT:  So remember that comment line about Palin being the female version of Bush -

"Sarah always did and still does surround herself with people she gets along well with," she said. "They protect her, and that's what she needs. She has surrounded herself with people who would not allow others to disagree with Sarah. Either you were in favor of everything Sarah was doing or had a black mark by your name."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26695078/page/2/

Message was edited by: PharmToxGirl

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Sep 14, 2008 11:53 PM Go to message in response to: MissyF

MissyF,

I am just curious where are all these couples that are willing to adopt these babies?  There are millions of children in the foster care system right now this minute.  Why are they not being adopted?  I will tell you why, they are not cute little perfect white babies they are nonwhite or they have other issues they are not being adopted.  No body wants them.  People are always saying don't get an abortion give the baby up for adoption.  Adoption is not an option for everyone.

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 12:23 AM Go to message in response to: kennysoldwife

Top that off - I know of a number of couples more then willing to adopt any child, BUT - heaven forbid - they are gay.

I so live in the wrong state.

P.S.  Most of my friends who are into adopting would prefer younger kids.  But I also know others who are at the point where they would gladly adopt any child.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Missy, I'm too tired right now to answer you point for point. I agree that NO candidate ever does all that he or she promises--even if the candidate is totally sincere,many things stand in the way (like, oh, Congress, the courts, legal precedent, lobbyists, money, etc.)

As far as voting for McCain/Palin,I only have two words--SUPREME COURT. The anti-abortion agenda is part of the Republican party platform. Many of the Justices are old and frail. The next president will get to choose one or more Supreme Court Justices. You may not be old enough to remember the days of back-alley abortions, but I am, and I never want to go back there. I do not want the federal government to decide what I can do with my body,and I do not want the state government to do it either. In fact, I don't want my husband to decide what I can do with my body. That's between me and my doctor. That's what choice means.

As for your reference to Reagan's age, like it didn't matter, it is well known and widely agreed by this time that Reagan already was showing the symptoms of Alzheimers disease during his last couple of years in office. ANY candidate's age and health are issues that should concern the voter. Sure, anyone could slip in the bathtub (or get assasinated) no matter what his/her age. Wouldn't it be comforting to know that someone who actually is qualified could step in at a moment's notice?

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I would advise your friends to look into fostering to adopt.  They may get a child that way and not have to wait so long.  Tha also would depend on them being willing  to take nonwhite children.  There are so many minority children waiting for homes and not enough homes to go around. 

My son is biracial and was passed over by several couples for that reason.  He looks Hispanic but one of the couples the agency was considering said they didn't want to take a chance that the black would come out.  What kind of crap is that?  It's not like it would rub off or something. 

It sucks about gay couples not being able to adopt.  I know a couple that would be wonderful parents but no one will give them a child because of their orientation. 

Kenny and Me Perfect Together,  10 years and counting.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Sep 15, 2008 9:13 AM Go to message in response to: MissyF

Aside from that, though, the reason I'm not encouraged to discuss my views is because most people will not even bother to consider that I have reached such opinions through careful research and consideration. I know that most Democrats will simply write me off as stupid and/or heartless, EXACTLY as they're currently doing to Sarah Palin.

Actually - not at all Missy. Just because most of the people who have posted in this thread so far happen to share similar views; does NOT mean we are unwilling to listen to anyone elses. If you had read the entire read instead of assuming otherwise; you would realize that several of us echoed what Newsie said about getting some oposing opinions in here. We welcome that. Why wouldnt we? Any discussion is good discussion as long as we are all hearing each other out. Who cares if I totally disagree with you or someone else? Thats my right and your right. And its GREAT. But I certainly would never call you an idiot or stupid just because you have opposing views than my own. Now if you SAY something that I THINK is off or not intelligent, I may point that out, but Im not calling you stupid. Noone here has done that, so please dont make assumptions about us as a group before even talking to us. As far as Sarah Palin is concerned, you cant even compare the two things. She is running for VP. SHe has little experience and VERY conservative views. Of course people are going to talk about her, analyze her, and say how we feel about her. I do not assume you are an idiot for liking her - I assume that you have your reasons and that you probably have very conservative views yourself. What a lot of us HAVE said which is true is that any true supporter of Hilary such as myself and others - who is now supporting Palin and McCaine - is not doing so for the right reasons and cannot be very smart. Hilary and Palin could not be any more different on issues than they are, so there is simply NO WAY in hell you can support both of them without completely contradicting yourself. And there are women out there supporting Palin simply because "shes a mom - Im a mom!" or "Shes a woman - Im a woman!" or "Shes a family values lady!" (which is BS anyway, but thats another story.)

Now, with all that being said, I actually AGREE with a couple of things you pointed out. Like this:

Even if I agreed with Obama, I would be way nervous about the fact that he can offer me no reason for confidence in his skills. The ability to inspire and the ability to lead are two completely different things.

I tend to agree with you there. As I said, I was a Hilary supporter and have had a bit of a tough time throwing my support behind Obama. I think hes extremely intelligent, has amazing ideas in concept, and is VERY capable of INSPIRING a nation and people. And I think it would be absolutely astounding and wonderful if he really COULD and DID change Washington the way he wants to. But as you said, I am not sure that is possible and leading a country is different than inspiring one. So that does conern me. However; I have been watching him more and more since Hilary is no longer an option; learning about his ideas and issues; and just taking every opportunity I can to listen to him and I must say Im pretty impressed overall. But still worried lol.

As for your "Ageism" stance - sorry, but I hardly think joking about someone being an old man is even in the same realm of sexism or racism. Its just NOT. And as I said in a much earlier post which you probably didnt read - even though everyone is joking about his age (meaning media, late night talk shows,etc) - it IS a valid and serious issue. Its something to think about. The guy is old. And he doesnt look well. Sure - he will most likely be okay and not DIE while serving lol, BUT to say his age is not at all a concern is just being silly.

And as we all know - its now coming up to "silly season" in politics; as Obama calls it. LOL. I love when he uses that phrase. It makes me giggle.

So in summary Missy - Im glad you came into the room to join us in this discussion about politics and other current events. So far, its been a really great one.

On an unrelated note - did anyone watch Obamas interview with BIll OReilly? I think it was on LAST week but I saw the rerun of it last night and WOW. That OReilly is SUCH AN ASS. I mean I knew that before but Jesus Christ - he does NOT let anyone TALK. He asks a question, then cuts the person off two words into their answer. I thought Obama did great though considering all that. The whole time though I was getting so annoyed, like WOULD YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND LET THE MAN SPEAK?? God he is sooo annoying and his whole "No spin Zone" thing is THE biggest joke ever. His show puts the biggest spin on everything. I mean hello its on FOX LOL. You cant get more right than that. Which is fine. but dont pretend you are "fair and balanced" when you are clearly NOT.

Okay Im done now.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com

"When you're born, you get a free ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." - R.I.P. George Carlin

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine